Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

Square PC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Square PC? Reply with quote

I believe it was around early '97 in Gamepro, in the Buyer's Beware page (strange spot, I know, but anyways), I first read about FF7 being developed for PC. Yes, of course, it came out. But I seem to remember also reading that Square had planned to release an English translation of FF5 for the North American market as their first PC game. Anybody else remember if this could be true? If so, what happened, Square decide FF5 was too old (I don't think retro-gaming had proven itself profitable yet)?
Yes, I know the RPGe and the PS1 translations have been released since then, but I was just kinda wondering what happened to it.
I also THINK, but am not sure, but a PC port of Secret of Mana might have also been planned along with FF5 and 7.
Or am I just crazy?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do seem to vaguely remember reading mention of a PC release of FF5 at RPGamer around the same time you're talking about, but I have no idea what might have become of it.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that, vaguely. I also seem to recall hearing it getting scrapped so they could focus entirely on FF7 instead.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as well heard rumors of the same thing around the time of FF7PC. I don't recall hearing any official square/Square EA announcement though... =/

I wish I remember where I heard it...I know it wasn't from anything online, as I didn't have net' access at the time.
treeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic, but I remember a little about this. It wasn't going to be produced by square, it was going to be released by a third party (Eidos???). I never heard an official cancellation reason, but it could be because of the look and appearance of it compared to FF7.
Blackjax
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it also in development for the SuperNES at one time, and then scrapped for FFVI?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjax wrote:
Wasn't it also in development for the SuperNES at one time, and then scrapped for FFVI?

Well, the game -was- a SNES game. ;p

Seriously, it's been said that the game was more or less finished but overlooked in favor of FFVI. I think this was mentioned in the FF64 thread in this same forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
treeman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure this was translated into english. Remember, even after FF4 was released on the Super Nintendo as FF2, FF was still not as famous and respected as it is now. FF5 was in some ways, graphically inferior to FF4 (and in some ways superior), but it didn't compare to the look of the upcoming FF6. It is possible that Squaresoft USA and Nintendo USA got a glimpse of FF6 and decided to wait for it instead of putting people behind the USA translation of FF5, this could have happened before or during the USA translation. Either way, that would leave an untranslated USA FF5 or at least a particially translated game. This is all just my own form of logical deduction, this is not based on any facts or insider information.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
I know this is an old topic, but I remember a little about this. It wasn't going to be produced by square, it was going to be released by a third party (Eidos???). I never heard an official cancellation reason, but it could be because of the look and appearance of it compared to FF7.

I'm at work right now, but I think I have the name of the company somewhere back home. I don't think it was Eidos.

But yeah, as to how far they got in development, I have no idea.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF VII was definitely eidos. It was in one of those stupid fucking pyramid boxes. They were juuuust enough wider than normal boxes at the base that they fucked up the shelving. FUCK YOU EIDOS.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that one, and yes I'm pretty sure it's Eidos. It's boxed, packed, and moved at the moment, so no fact checking for you.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was uh, referring to the FFV PC port that was canceled, but mmk.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but both ports were announced at the same time, and as I recall, to be done by the same company. The FF VII port was DEFINITELY Eidos. It came out while I was working at EB, and I remember trying to stock it's stupid irregular shape. Anyway, this all implies that if any work of V actually happened, Eidos did it.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
I'm not entirely sure this was translated into english. Remember, even after FF4 was released on the Super Nintendo as FF2, FF was still not as famous and respected as it is now. FF5 was in some ways, graphically inferior to FF4 (and in some ways superior), but it didn't compare to the look of the upcoming FF6. It is possible that Squaresoft USA and Nintendo USA got a glimpse of FF6 and decided to wait for it instead of putting people behind the USA translation of FF5, this could have happened before or during the USA translation. Either way, that would leave an untranslated USA FF5 or at least a particially translated game. This is all just my own form of logical deduction, this is not based on any facts or insider information.

From what I heard once in an old Hironobu Sakaguchi interview I saw on the net a few years ago, Square was gonna translate FFV for the SNES. However, Sakaguchi then went to talk with a representive from the US branch and was told that the Job System would've been too complex for westerners. I don't remember the whole deal, but that was the gist of it.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: