Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:19 am

Underrated games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
532 + 523
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love the exploration element in the Castlevania series, you know, the one that was introduced in Castlevania II.

Why is it that everyone forgets this game in favor of Symphony of the Night? It had exploration, it had unlockable areas, it had shops, etc. And the hero was more likeable than the insipid Alucard (even the name was lame "Dracula backwards, how mysterious!").

And don't you Castlevania fans get bored with more of the same stupid storyline. I bet that "Castlevania: The drums of sex" will feature the Belmont's great great great great grandfather, "Ugha Uck!", whom fought Dracula for the very, very first time. But that will be proven false in "Castlevania: Fart of a monkey", where Ugha Uck's great great grandmother "Lucy the Monkey" fights Dracula for the very first time.... and so on and so on.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! Ha! HA!

Please, sir, more of this hilarious biting sarcasm into the repetitive nature of the series!

OH! I said "biting!" haha, and I didn't even mean it! Oh man, that was completely by...hahaha!

Oh, but we have fun around here.

...welcome to the forums, numbers person.
532 + 523
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, thank you. Taht's very kind of you gentle sire.

Thanks for inviting me to your fine stablishment to sit by the fire to talk comfortably about the wonders of videogameology and it's derivate disciplines.

Isn't Castlevaniology a wonderful science to make lame jokes out of? Oh, the wonders sir, the wonders!

But, oh, look, as a token of my gratitude here is a picture of my cousing Mortimer Heinrich Papadapolis III wile being sodomized: :oops: (smilies don't work, I feel so lame).
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a philistine.

I never liked Castlevania II. Even a little bit. I can't explain any one particular reason why, although I'd bet it has something to do with all that exploration and shop-entering you were talking about. You got your adventure game in my action game!

But for what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of -any- Castlevania games. I'm fond of Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines, but that's about it.

And for the record, fuck Zelda II as well.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:

But why the hate?

I don't hate the game, it's just not on my list of "OOOH! OOOOH!" great GBA games. I bought it, played it, liked it. The other two just felt better. However, as far as the whip thing goes, I DID use the whip-sword for an awful long time.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the GBA Castlevania games have been fun. I've enjoyed them all and wouln't mind owning any of them.

Dammit I come home last night after work and sit down to continue my game of Dragon Warrior and as luck would have it, battery is dead. Pop in Final Fantasy just to get some other old school RPG gaming on. Battery dead. Damn. All I wanted to do was have fun. I just got a copy of FFIII for the famicom with box and instructions and everything, which is nice and all, but it only takes you so far if you don't know the language.
532 + 523
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it boys and girls. The Castlevania series, just like the Mega Man series are way overrated.

Since the topic is the fair topic of <b>underrated</b> games, I propose a toast for the magnificent underrated NES sidescroller adventure games: Faxanadu, Magician and Legacy of The Wizard. If you don't like them, fuck you. In fact, I'm almost sure Konami made Vampire Killer for MSX and Castlevania II in a failed attempt at ripping-off Falcom's style of adventure games, and in turn, Falcom was ripping-off Underwurlde and the Dizzy games for ZX Spectrum whom in turn were batlantly ripping-off Pitfall! 2: The Lost Caverns for Atari 2600.

And remember, don't clean, swiffer! With celebrity designer Geneveive Gorder!
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love people with constructive cristicism. Sure most games are just rehashes of earlier ones. Sure some people are going to like some games and dislike others. Some games are overrated. Even then if they provide me with good gameplay (even if it isn't the most original game) and a decent challenge why not.

As for good underrated NES games Magician is good. I love the music for that game.

Uh, and the swiffer comments. Why bother. It's not "funny", its not constructive, and makes your popmus ass look even more stupid. But then again, maybe someone like Chaz might think it's funny so whatever.
532 + 523
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just said Castlevania is overrated, shouldn't we be talking about underrated games?

And Castlevania doesn't suck, I mean, it doesn't, it's just not great, and it doesn't provide with hours of frolicking fun. It's not what everyone says it is.

I do think games like Faxanadu are great. If you are looking for Symphony of the Night for NES, just play it.

Talking about Castlevania, its like, I don't know, talking about how brands are good because they got hype. Sure advertising may be the secret ingredient, but does it make the advertised product particularly good?
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mortal Kombat was any indication, then hell no.

Personally, I think one of the most underrated games of all time will always be Clash At Demonhead. It was rather unique for it's time, had so-cheesey-it-ruled dialog and story, and just fantastic exploration. Not a lot of games back then were as original, and sadly, it seems overlooked.

Then again, the music WAS enough to scare people away...
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Personally, I think one of the most underrated games of all time will always be Clash At Demonhead. It was rather unique for it's time, had so-cheesey-it-ruled dialog and story, and just fantastic exploration. Not a lot of games back then were as original, and sadly, it seems overlooked.

Damn, forgot all about that one. I remember I had rented that game when I was small because I saw no other decent looking game to rent, and after playing it I instantly became hooked. When I wanted to buy it afterwards, I couldn't find a store that carried it and it took me nearly a year to find a copy. If only Ebay existed back then...

Nostalgia aside, that was one fucking awesome game and without a doubt one of the best platformers for the NES (IMO better than the Mega Man games).

As for the Castevania series, here's my two cents; some of the best games ever to grace a console (Symphony of the Night) have sported the Castlevania name, as have some craptacular games (Castlevania 64) as well, but with one or two exceptions, the Castlevania series has always been consistently good, which therefore justifies the series excellent reputation. Aside from Castlevania 64, all these games have been well worth what I paid for them.

Although taste is subjective (no matter how questionable a person's taste may be), to say that Castlevania is overrated is utter bullshit. So what if the 3 Castlevania GBA games aren't of the same calibur as SOTN. What fucking game is!?! You can't honestly expect Konami to outdo itself with every Castlevania release. Just because you don't like the series doesn't mean that it's overrated, it just means that everyone likes the series and you don't know jackshit about good games. ;)

532 + 523 wrote:
Talking about Castlevania, its like, I don't know, talking about how brands are good because they got hype. Sure advertising may be the secret ingredient, but does it make the advertised product particularly good?

What dark orifice did you pull this shit out of? Not only is your pathetic attempt at logic a textbook example of a false analogy, but you obviously don't know shit about economics as well. Brand names aren't about hype, but about recognition and reputation. People don't go to McDonald's because the commercials proclaim it as the best, but because you know what to expect when you go there. Same thing can be said of the Castlevania series.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Then again, the music WAS enough to scare people away...

Aww, Clash at Demonhead was one of the only NES games I remembered all of the music to and enjoyed quite a bit. I was happy to find the nsf, and I tend to play NES games with the audio very low or off.

With all the CaD fans coming out of the woodwork lately, I'm thinking it's the next RCR.

Ancient Oldie wrote:
What dark orifice did you pull this shit out of? Not only is your pathetic attempt at logic a textbook example of a false analogy, but you obviously don't know shit about economics as well. Brand names aren't about hype, but about recognition and reputation. People don't go to McDonald's because the commercials proclaim it as the best, but because you know what to expect when you go there. Same thing can be said of the Castlevania series.

If I was giving out gold stars, I would dip yours on heaven, diamonds, and chocolate first. I think I love you.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised to find so many others that like Clash at Demonhead. You never really hear anyone talk about it, I'd always assumed that my love of the game was a result of my own skewed tastes until just a couple days ago when Blitzwing and ArnoldRimmer83 both mentioned that they liked it as well.

For those of you who haven't already heard, I happen to have a prototype of the Famicom version of CaD on it's way as we speak, and if it's anything like my other two Vic Tokai protos it should have at least a few small differences from the released game.

Anyone else notice that the Fami version of CaD has a little extra dialog in a few areas that was absent from the US release? That might make for a neat translation project.
Blackjax
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoD was great! The only two problems I had with the game tho, which keep it from being excellent are:

74,208 character passwords

Putting the medals in that detestible bomb at the end. GRR that annoyed me. "YOU BLEW IT!" and then another 86,293 digit password entry...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjax wrote:
CoD was GRATE!

Cash on Delivery?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Anyone else notice that the Fami version of CaD has a little extra dialog in a few areas that was absent from the US release? That might make for a neat translation project.

Actually, I did. I played that game by accident and then heard there was a US version. I had plans, but dropped them when I found the US version.

... if there -are- significant differences between the Japan and US versions, then yeah, I'd like to tackle it. That would make what, my third or fourth retranslation? *shrugs*

Edit:
Ugh, multiple-letter passwords? Gah. That would make doing a translation, if any, a real bitch...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Japanese version, there's extra dialog in the following places:

In route 4, there's some kind of discussion going on between the samurai villain and the professor.

In the intro, after the scene with Bang and Mary on the beach, their commander is giving a very long briefing.

If you screw up at the bomb disposal part, a red screen appears with text, apparently explaining what happened to the world after the bomb went off. It also plays a piece of music that doesn't play at any point in the US version. Though in the US one, if the bomb goes off, listen carefully and you can hear the music for that screen about to start up for a brief second.

After the good ending sequence, a screen of text appears, that starts off with "PS". Some kind of letter I guess? Then it's followed by credits.

Dialog througout the game seems like it might be different too. The ending sequence in the US version, explaining that the professor got out safely and that the one that exploded was a fake, sounded like censorship to me.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimme the name of the Japanese rom. I'll see what I can do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dengeki - Big Bang!
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Japanese Shopkeeperâ„¢
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: