Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 pm

The Rev's New Name
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parents aren't going to call it WII

they're going to call it the nintendo, LIKE THEY CALL ANY NINTENDO PRODUCT

I haven't YET heard a parent say WHERE ARE YOUR GAMECUBE GAMES. It's always WHERE ARE THE NINTENDO GAMES and I have to go WELL DO YOU MEAN NINTENDO 64 or GAMECUBE or GAMEBOY or WHAT?

AND SOMETIMES THEY MEAN GAMECUBE

(sometimes they mean nintendo 64!)

I also always hear the DS called THE FANCY GAMEBOY

So I'm not worried. Parents will see the word NINTENDO and go OH OK THIS IS WHAT I BUY and they'll just STRAIGHT UP FORGET about the WII
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard "fancy Game Boy" before, but I have heard "Nintendo" as blanket term for all video games, regardless of manufacturer. Also, don't forget game systems all play tapes.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't know dear, Junior said he'd like the Sony Nintendo."

Still going back to the popularity of the NES, aren't there still people who consider any game system a "Nintendo"?
Altered Bonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in the day, none of my friends knew what the hell a "Genesis" was. Everyone just called it the SEGA.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hilarious, but even to this date, most places around here, the NES is still referred to as something which translates to English as "Regular Nintendo"

The MegaDrive was mostly referred to as "Sega" here, I didn't know many people who had the MasterSystem, but those who had either called it the master system or "the old sega"

Anything after that has kept its name around here.
Though, I guess with "Wii" stores might often wiill either get "Revolution" or "The new Nintendo" around where I live atleast.

But I have to admit, I like the new name, I think it's a tad bit weird, but still very clever.
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I thought my area (Central PA) was the only one that had "Regular Nintendo". Around here they play "tapes" and the controllers are "paddles". Also, consoles are referred to as "decks". And all handhelds are "Gameboys". The one that always bothers me the most is when people call levels or worlds "boards".

I still have friends who are "bit" obsessed... I was telling my friend details about the then-called Revolution, and he said, "how many bits are they up to? 256?". Oy. It's kind of funny that it's present in other regions as well.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Around here they play "tapes"

A local computer magazine here, which also had a short lived N64 sister mag, they constantly nagged about how much better the optical drive on the PlayStation and PC CD-Rom were, compared to the "capsule" based systems Nintendo had.
('cause cartridge can also be translated to capsule in my language. But ofcourse, we've got the "tapes" too, but the word used for "tapes" can also be used for "cartridge", so yeah, it doesn't sound weird there)
FlareNUKE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard people say them properly… Except for Playstation 2 which they just call Playstation, any Game Boy as just Game Boy, and the Playstation is the Playstation 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: