Nintendo Power and Prototype Fare...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
FACT: All bannings are actually performed by me. I have Frank's password, and sometimes I get bored. Please don't tell Frank, I have him convinced he's a black out drunk.

He's going to meetings!

The funny part is that I do ban people when I'm drunk sometimes, so this would probably be a natural thing for me to do if I blacked out. It's the perfect plan.
Mia D

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bmf Bmf you HAVE to spill the beans re: Dream

did he give you tiny little kisses? Did he stab you with broken CDR's?

I HAVE TO KNOW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shawnphase

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im curious as well...you didnt spin your dream into 'a nightmare'...

as far as my music is concerned..the first 2 video game cover cd's are out of print now, i only gave a heads up because a lot of you guys are collectors.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you begged and pleaded with us to buy your CDs because you cared about our needs as "collectors." Do I have this right?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember much of it, but I think I was watching some show on VH1, and they had a clip of him rolling up his sleeves to show the tattoos, and then they panned upwards to show the rest of his outfit while someone blathered on in the background (probably reciting that same text from the NP article). No CD-R shards or horrifying lapdances or anything.

Sorry to disappoint, guys. =(
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i begged and pleaded because at the time i wanted to get the discs out of print...i have put off getting a hold of a friend of a friend who is in a&r mainly because of this. when the inevitable happened, in the nintendo power article coming out, i would have that many cd's less in all to have to duplicate, and could just say 'sorry, nypwp 1 and nypwp 2 are out of print.' that article did send a lot of guys and girls alike my way, and pushed the cd's out of print for me, albeit not the way i would have wanted, it still happened. i sincerely and truly do NOT like to charge for this stuff, as i dont feel as if it's fair to the original authors without their say, but i get a lot of flack from people close to me, telling me im not charging what i should, im selling myself short, blah blah. i have, in fact, received the attention of one musician who wrote for hudson and he was very excited to hear what i do, and learning from a japanese friend who acted as a liason, i found out that he took lessons in english because of our exchange. he sent me a 2cd set of msx or scc versions of music from the games that he wrote for as a token of gratitude and appreciation that i covered so much of his music. the fact of the matter is that i do these video game covers as a step back from writing my original stuff, which can be pretty intensive at times.

i try and keep a presence on the internet that is solely person to person, just some dudes talking about video game music and maybe one guy opening up another to some of the more overlooked tunes or unheard of tunes from japanese-only games, which i do a lot of. the 3rd video game cd i did was called 'the famicom wars' and is what i hope will serve as something over time that will cause people to go out and look up (with the help of sites such as this one) some of the music from these titles that never made it to the us or at all. i know you've done that for me with pescatore, and i thank you fully for it.

im not trying to nor am i making money off of this music at this point, i typically charge $2 or $3 for a cd at a show, it's really the fact that i would like to be able to say that i got rid of 500 copies per cd, which im pretty close to with the 3rd, and the 4th cd..i think i said that as well. as far as the time invested, i guess thats really where any actual gain comes from, and i assure you, its minimal.. nypwp v took me about 2 1/2 months to do, but it's 70 songs in 70 minutes with a pretty continuous sequencing job throughout.

i dont want to get a rep as a whore or spammer, because its not mt intention at all, i do ok on my own through shows and word of mouth, that was a last call of sorts if anyone wanted the actual cdr's to have lossless versions of this stuff. if any of you guys want mp3s of the first 2 records, hit me up on aim or on irc sometime, i'll send those records your way. and if anyone has any ideas as far as helping out, maybe you know a friend of a friend as one person has informed me of that may be able to assist me in this, that would be very helpful as well..it seems that i keep falling down just to pick myself up a few weeks later and realize what im working towards.

at this point, i have gotten rid of ~200 copies of now youre playing with powar v since 1/1/06, with about half of them at magfest, i think at the convention i was selling cd's for a dollar or two, mainly to get them out there at a fairly big gaming convention, but people appreciated that and saw past it, 'donated' extra money for the set of 5, told me the same thing my parents and close friends have, 'youre selling yourself short'..it does take a long time to make up that many different cd's, i usually spend a few hours a day putting packages together, making up copies, going to the post office, whatever. i also put a lot of what i make back into the music, as far as actual physical things that i need to get the job done, most of what i have is weirder gear and im pretty particular about the way i go about making this music, i use no mixers or microphones in the process and it's a very straightforward method that's worked for a few years now.

as with anything you do, theres really no point in doing it if your heart isnt in it, which i feel it really is.. this little niche is a part of me now. i wear it on my sleeves and thats something i'll take to my grave. i see that the same is true here on lostlevels, which is why i signed up. to be honest, it was the whole bio force ape thing that sucked me in to your community here.. i figured that this was a little group of people that i recognize as being of the same mindset as me and that some of you would want to know more about what i do,

shilling these cd's aside, these records i make are collectors items, high run cdr's that take time to make and all of them are numbered. anyone who has ever ordered cd's from me gets at least a little letter saying 'thanks' or a drawing, i've gotten them for years. ive started recording a 6th cd that im hoping to finish by september or october, and then a teamup with some other artists that will see the light of day in december.

i feel that it is important for me to be able to have a definate idea of how many cd's have passed through my hands...once i go through the motions of contacting some actual record labels and the appropriate people that can help me in what im doing, i would hope to be able to go to them with some solid facts as to what i've done thus far, because to be honest, i dont know all that much of. i just do it. spend some time on a record, perfect it, let one or two people listen and say 'is this done?', and then start burning. i have no help, no backing, this is as straightforward as it can get, someone sharing with someone else and making a connection with people and building a fanbase. its something i've barely done at all in the time i've been doing this, and somehow my name has gotten out there. dont solely make covers of video game music, in fact, ive made 120 other albums of music, be it short ep's or long fulllegnths of 8-bit inspired tunes.

my webpage has a lot of live mp3s on it if any of you want to check it out, that is mainly why i was featured in the nintendo power, because i perform regularly and i do what i can to pass on any info about this scene im trying to help create, which is where the 'kurt cobain of 8-bit' came from..it was actually a 17 year old kid in arizona that called me that, and it was really heartwarming that he got my ethics and ideals enough to make that comparison, it's the same thing he did while he was alive.

i really feel like i should apologize to you guys if i came across in a pithe or begging manner, i really just want to leave a nice, big brown shitstain on this genre that im helping to create. i want people to say 'isnt that the guy that made 10 albums worth of video game covers? didnt he die or isnt he on the cover of the magazines now?'. theres a lot of key people that helped start this genre of music and make something of it..i dont want to name names or anything, but i'd hope to think that the time i've spent is worth more to people i dont know at all with every day that passes, and it does seem to be happening, slowly but surely.

knowing i did the best that i could for myself is the payoff when it comes down to it, all ego or intentions aside, i really just want to be remembered as someone who was willing to share and share alike for others to come along and enjoy, much like the things ive been able to come across. and if i EVER see someone else do a cover of ANYTHING from armadillo, im gonna slit throats.

namaste.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool story about the composer from Hudson. I'd like to hear more about that.

I've listened to some of your sample tracks, and they didn't do much for me. Some folks are pretty easy to impress - "wow, that's Nintendo music being played on a guitar!" - but I hear that in my bedroom all the time anyway Smile I do remember listening to something you did, either for VGMix or more probably Dwelling of Duels that was a collaboration with another musician, and it sounded really good! I'd like to hear you collaborate more in the future.

We like to give folks a hard time around here, and I'm certainly no exception. Sometimes we get carried away, but I'm glad you stuck around anyway.

Incidentally, there is a good tune in Armadillo - I think it should be track 9 in the NSF. It's a short loop, but I think it would be fun to play. To my ears, the worst NES music is that of Allister Brimble, although many of the European C64-cum-NES composers are right up there with him. The constant abuse of PSG arpeggio just sounds like turd. The NES didn't have enough channels to make fully voiced chords - get over it guys! The Japanese composers had no trouble implying harmony with fewer voices, so I don't know what the deal is with the Europeans.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also man, mad props for the Steinbergers. Too many guitarists don't appreciate those things.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the kind words smeg. its really like a said a labor of love that keeps me doing this. i feel like there should be more people doing this with video game music, and since ive started, there has been a lot of guys that have done this and came up in the same amount of time..i just feel like it's important to try and give the appearance that what im doing isnt done by one guy but by a whole band, i think i've done a pretty good job. as far as track 9 in armadillo, that is the one that i wanted to do, but i opted to do track 2 from he nsf, from the stage select part, you can check the mp3 out here:

http://www.fakeaccount.com/~shawnphase/nypwpv/06%20-%20armadillo.mp3

you can go to the root directory of that url for some more songs from the nypwp v album, there's about 10 songs there from the record with some collab songs there as well.

i totally feel you about brimble...constant use of arpeggio translates to euro-trash garbage to me..and it's something that can be used well if its tasteful, but every note being arpegg'd out is just too annoying for the ears. me and virt bitch about this prettty frequently and it seems like theres a totally regional outlook on this, i dont know a ton of guys from the US that rely on arpeggios this way..

the nypwp 4 and 5 albums do have a bit of collab work on them, stuff such as b-wing, gyruss, street fighter 2010, toki no sugiyuku mama ni, a lot of zelda stuff. im definately into it and will do it a lot more in the future for sure.

about steinbergers...the main reason i switch to them is mainly because when performing live by myself, it's really easy to tune while playing a song, theres really no room for error in tuning, so having the tunres at the base of the guitar makes for a lot less reaching, with the mask and glove its really the most effective way to keep a handle on things and just let the energy out and not get distracted. actually the one that i have isnt a steinberger, it's some type of privately made steinberger knockoff, but its actually more solidly made then they were, i got it because it's made out of koa wood, which is pretty much the heartiest wood you can use, they're not made in many guitars at all. i used to play a real steinberger, after they got bought out by gibson, but i sold that a while back. i dont think it would be the same if i used a different guitar, i doubt i could find something like this anywhere else..

i'll upload some of the songs from the guy who wrote for hudson and ...ill make sure they're some gooduns, hehe. they'll be in this dir..they're upping now, give em maybe 20-25 minutes, should be 6 or 7 songs..

http://www.fakeaccount.com/~shawnphase/kinoko/
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for sharing man. Street Fighter 2010's got some amazing tunes, cool choice. Does your Steinberger have one of those transposable TransTrems? I've always wondered if those things work as they claim they do.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, those trans trems are i think about 3 or 400 bucks to start, im sure theres a little variance, but ive never even seen one in person, ive got a weird fixed bridge system on mine that i've never seen on any steinbergers. theres no type of steinberger made or liscensed parts on mine, which is why i know it's privately made..i wrote to the guys at steinberger world, and they told me from the pictures i sent em that it's definately not a steinberger made guitar, it's got a grommet on the non-stringed end so you can use regular strings instead of those double balled ones too..its really the best thing i could ever ask for.

if you or anyone wants the whole 2cd of kinoko's tunes, you can hit me on AIM sometime, im 'shawn phase'..the files arent named or anything because it was encoded in japanese and all, but i have a tracklisting for it.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Wonder if your 'berger was built by Ed Roman - I know he's done some Steinberger-based custom stuff. Koa is a beautiful wood for guitars. Is the neck on yours wood, or is it synthetic like actual Steinbergers?
shawnphase

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i actually asked ed roman if he built it and he said no wai... the neck is graphite like the other highend steinbergers, but by a different company that makes theirs, i forget what company made it, it wasnt status or moses though.. theres literally no identifying marks on this guitar anywhere. UNTIL i open it up next and etch my name inside it with my address, hehe.

i was a little sketched out to peel the copper tape on the inside of the electronics area back to see if there was any sort of identifiable marks, but nowhere inside the cavity did it say anything, or in the neck, or in the spot where the neck rests. i really wish i could find out who made it though. koa is great because its very dense and not as heavy as a lot of other wood, which is weird, i dont think i have seen another koa electric ever..
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a hell of a lot of text to read. And I'm normally an over-verbose one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: