Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

Inevitable E3 2006 Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altered Bonk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Inevitable E3 2006 Topic Reply with quote

Hey, nobody else made this topic yet and I thought this would be a good opportunity to become popular. Post here about any E3 announcements that make you angry/happy/embarrased.

To start things off: the new PS3 controller. What the heck.

Three things from Nintendo's press conference that made me say "woah" out loud:
1. The whole Wii montage, particularly the Wario Ware bit.
2. Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox, and Yoshi's Island 2 all revealed at the same time.
3. Ouendan!!!

Can anyone tell me if Elite Beat Agents is a sequel, or just Ouendan americanizeraetd?

Oh, and I think Excite Truck looks pretty cool.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Zelda, Custom Robo seems pretty cool, I'm told I need Magical Vacation.
But the omission of a certain GBA game is quite upsetting. >:P
narc

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 499 the PS3 may have been fine if they hadnt stripped so much out of it. Some people wont care but at least the 360 core can be easily premiumed (except for that nice looking silver finish on the front of the drive). Nice way to rip off wii with their controller too. Im gonna sit back and wait before I go after a ps3.

As for what I saw from the other two. Halo 3 and GTA 4 for 360 were nice at least they are putting up a fight. As for nintendo I think I will be buying there new console. I am glad to see they have a classic controller for it.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sit back and waited every generation since after the 16-Bit era (I was a devoted Nintendo junkie back then). And that's not going to change with this.

If Wii's cheap enough, and if they can come up with more than 7 games I'd know I'd love, I'll buy it no questions asked. I think Nintendo's on to something, now if they can just obtain more titles to it's library that would appeal to me we'll be set.

I'd go on with my negative opinions about the $500-600 but it's nothing that hasn't been said before. Apparently, even Japanese gamers are bitching about the news, and those cats buy HDTVs even when they're out of their budget.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Inevitable E3 2006 Topic Reply with quote

Altered Bonk wrote:

Can anyone tell me if Elite Beat Agents is a sequel, or just Ouendan americanizeraetd?

Well, there are no gameplay changes (though the E3 demo is easier, who knows for the final), but it's all new songs, all new stories. So yeah, it's a sequel.
cscan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key announcements IMO from yesterday were as follows:

Sony: MGS4 --even thought i'll probably never play this because of the ps3's pricing

Nintendo: Two versions of Zelda to coincide with Wii launch, many ORIGINAL Mario titles(instead of sequels/ports/graphical updates), focusing to integrate new franchises instead of relying solely on past franchises(Disaster: DOD, ExciteTruck)

Microsoft: NOT the announcement of Halo 3. Even the most casual gaming fans could have predicted that announcement. The key for Microsoft was the announcement of integration with Windows Vista.

Now listen carefully:

I've heard many people say "Oh screw Windows Integration I don't even have Vista yet" The point is, unless you don't use Windows at all, you're going to upgrade to Vista at some point. Do you see anybody still using Windows 95 or even 98 in the year 2006? NO.
The key to success for Microsoft is to find a way to break into the integration business. IMO this will take the better half of a decade. But I do not doubt Microsoft's ability to be successful with this. They've got much deeper pockets than everyone else. A similiar situation would be when Microsoft was struggling to break into the OS market with Windows. How did they manage that? By providing free shipping for all Windows products and donating PCs with Windows to schools and colleges.
If Microsoft can find a solution to make XBox integration as easily accessible as they did the Windows OS, then they've got a goldmine on their hands.

All that being said, I'm not purchasing a 360 even when prices drop or at the end of this generation of gaming. I plan on getting the Wii so don't label me a Microsoft Preacher. I just think the general public would be very comfortable with their gaming tied into good ol' Windows.
jc dracula

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
At 499 the PS3 may have been fine if they hadnt stripped so much out of it.
no HDMI
no super resolution on HD TV
so in other words, you lose the entire point of getting the blu-ray drive in the first place, and the blu-ray drive is the reason that even the cheapo model is 500 bucks

blu-ray is an albatross around sony's neck this year (and the next.) this pointless format war will hurt them badly.
cscan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I personally think the whole Blu-ray thing will be more useful 2 generations ahead (a la playstation4, xbox720). A good sized HiDef TV and the technology to play Blu-ray media with be more affordable and actually useful then. Without a large userbase clamoring to watch movies on Blu-ray I really don't understand why they are pushing this technology. DVD media is still in it's prime.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscan wrote:

Do you see anybody still using Windows 95 or even 98 in the year 2006? NO.

Every day I go to work I get emails from people on 95 and 98. Especially 98 SE.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PC running 98. It's not my main PC, but it hasn't the resources to run anything more modern aside from ME, which is the devil. I'm happily running 2k on my current machine, or at least as happy as Windows users are permitted to be (next computer will so be a Mac).

I have no comment regarding E3 - I'm not paying attention because man do I ever not care.
sebmal

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Oh god yes.
narc

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc dracula wrote:
narc wrote:
At 499 the PS3 may have been fine if they hadnt stripped so much out of it.
no HDMI
no super resolution on HD TV
so in other words, you lose the entire point of getting the blu-ray drive in the first place, and the blu-ray drive is the reason that even the cheapo model is 500 bucks

blu-ray is an albatross around sony's neck this year (and the next.) this pointless format war will hurt them badly.

I get the impression microsoft forced Sony's hand to attempt a cheaper version of the ps3. Also blu-ray as it stands is unecessary and Sony proved it when they stuck a HD on the PS3.

Overall Wii is still the darkhorse for this console race because the price is gonna be really attractive. That new mario is the first one to look entertaining to me since Mario64.
Dais

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I have no comment regarding E3 - I'm not paying attention because man do I ever not care.

hardcore
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dais wrote:
Smeg wrote:

hardcore

Hardly.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I love E3 time. And it's not the games, it's not the announcements, it all boils down to one word and one word alone:

CHAOS

I don't think I need to elaborate.
Dais

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Dais wrote:
Smeg wrote:

hardcore

Hardly.

hardass.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hard Smeg is good to find.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopped in the streets today from someone who recognized me as "the guy who does Lost Levels."

Twice.

E3 makes me feel famous!
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I met the lead designer of Ouendan while playing Elite Beat Agents today, and he speaks perfectly fluent english! I love that game so goddam much that I actually geeked out on him and expressed my love for his work in a really detailed, nerdy way. He's going to write me a postmortem after Elite Beat ships!
cscan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone who sees people using Windows 95 and 98, I'll correct myself by saying that yes, a select few still use those versions. But those are extreme cases and I doubt they're going to stick with Windows 95 for much longer, y'know? It's also pretty safe to assume that not many modern gamers are still using these versions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: