Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

Mystical Ninja Goemon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altered Bonk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Mystical Ninja Goemon Reply with quote

Before Working Designs went away, they were trying to get an english version of the Goemon PS2 game out. All I've heard about it is that Sony didn't want to let them release the game because they thought the graphics were too bad.

Is there more to this story?
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there's a chance it could still come out in Europe. No idea if it'd be from Konami or a third party, though, and I haven't heard anything since the initial mention, so it's not looking too promising.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if WD's site/forum is still up, but I think the guy in charge pretty much posted the entire story and all the details there
Altered Bonk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so after searching for a while I've found some stuff out:

1. Working Designs' website doesn't work anymore.

2. Archive.com cannot help me when I really need it.

3. There apparently is really nothing more to this story.

I've looked at a dozen websites who did a report on it (and by "did a report" I mean "re-typed what they read on other websites"). They basically say "Sony would not give it the go-ahead."

Dammit.
Zigfried

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the recap of what I learned from WD's website back in the day:

1) A lot of people asked Working Designs to localize their favorite Japanese Konami games. Victor Ireland explained flat-out that Working Designs will never release Konami games domestically, because Konami refuses to license their games to other companies.

2) Shortly thereafter, Working Designs got the license to release Konami's PS2 Goemon in the States.

3) Working Designs announced to the public that they had acquired Goemon and were working on it.

4) Sony rejected the game, because the graphics weren't good enough.

5) Despite the rejection, Working Designs kept trying to re-tool the game (graphical improvements, etc) in an attempt to resubmit and receive approval. It didn't work.

There have been a LOT of similar cases of games being rejected by Sony due to the graphics... this one received more attention than most because WD actually announced it on their site. Usually, companies don't announce games until they receive pre-approval from Sony (although Sony still reserves the right to reject the game later, as has happened to Agetec in the past).

//Zig
JSzczep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Ireland also privately asked several members of the gaming press and games industry to write brief statements as to why WD should be allowed to release it. He compiled these "industry statements" together, and apparently gave a presentation to Sony, but as history showed us, it didn't help, the game wasn't allowed to be released, and they sadly went bankrupt.

I really liked the company, some truly fantastic games were made available in the West, which we would otherwise have lost out on, and they were always helpful regarding PR and interviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: