Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 pm

Cave Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Cave Story Reply with quote

I realize I'm behind the times here, but I was just recently introduced to Cave Story, and it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Those of you who haven't played it yet need to give it a try.
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I saw that game on HG101 forums. There are some cool freeware games on there I recomend you check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it Skrybe, it's charm is inescapable and I so wish I had a DS or GBA port of it to take with me where ever I went....
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great game, though I am somewhat ashamed that I haven't beaten the hidden boss yet.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic game, and I even found a Mac translation patch after playing through most of it in Japanese (which means I need to replay it to REALLY get the story out of it for myself). Also, it'd probably be even better with a gamepad instead of a keyboard.. yeah, need to play through this again.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That game is great, albeit a bit tedious at times. Someone's actually working on a homebrew port for the GBA (having been given the source code by the programmer), and some small company is working on a commercial release of it for the PSP, though from what I've read, the terms of the contract between them and the programmer are a bit dodgy.
jc dracula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle in Cube Sector is ok. It's one of the best freeware games released this year. It's sort of a metroid clone built around the crate-tossing mechanic from Rescue Rangers.

Within a Deep Forest is a game to play only if you like fighting through the puzzly sub-levels that branch off the main map. By "fighting," I don't mean fighting enemies, I mean fighting the damn physics as you try to manuver your little ball through a room without blowing up for the 20th time.

Neither of these are Cave Story good, but if you want to kill some time with something that's new and free and it's got platforms, here you go.

Just watch out for people who tell you to play Seiklus (which is so tedious that it might actually be part of an elaborate blogosphere hoax.)
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
That game is GRATE, albeit a bit tedious at times. Someone's actually working on a homebrew port for the GBA (having been given the source code by the programmer), and some small company is working on a commercial release of it for the PSP, though from what I've read, the terms of the contract between them and the programmer are a bit dodgy.

The word is that whoever wants to do a commercial port sent Pixel a machine-translated message, and he had no idea what they were talking about (not sure if Pixel wants a commercial release). Possibly Gideon (http://agtp.romhack.net) or Shih Tzu know better (better Shih, because he's spoken to Pixel in email before).
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on LifeMeterComics.com

jc dracula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
Found this on LifeMeterComics.com

The real joy of the machine gun was using it as a jetpack.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc dracula wrote:

Y'know that if you turn down the machine gun, you can get stronger weapons later, right?
jc dracula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
jc dracula wrote:

Y'know that if you turn down the machine gun, you can get stronger weapons later, right?
Did you know you can fly around with the machine gun like it's a jetpack
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be better weapons, but I agree with jc dracula that the machine gun gets major cool points for being able to use it as a jetpack.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSP info
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
PSP info

Variant Interactive announced on 27 March 2006 that they were developing a version of Doukutsu Monogatari for the PSP. However, shortly after the announcement, Pixel himself said that he had not given them permission to develop a port, and the status of the project is currently unknown. The lead manager at Variant says he is still discussing terms with Pixel.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, the PSP port, would be not keeping in line with anything made by Pixel, and even if it did exsist (no screenshots that I've ever seen), it would never get approved by Sony for production with such questionable copyright questions. Frank, are they even a real company beyond making a cell phone game?

Basically, if you are looking for an officially approved port, look to the GBA one that is being worked on, as that's been blessed by Pixel and using some of the original code.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kwix.shackspace.com/cavestory/index.html

if anybody wants to hear...cave story remix project.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News from the PSP front (as ripped from NeoGAF):

*Regarding The Rumors:

From That Unspoken Site wrote:
"I might, I'd like to clear up what amounts to speculation from Wikipedia and a couple of folks on Livejournal. The ugliness started with a kid who I suppose is a regular in some Cave Story fan community on Livejournal.com, who sent Pixel an email, or posted on his BBS (one of the two, I'm not sure at this point) about the PSP version. Pixel, who does not speak English, didn't quite catch the gist of what he was saying and told him he didn't know what the kid was talking about. This kid took it to mean that Pixel had never heard of us or what we were doing. Hence the drama bomb.

The truth of the situation is that I've personally been in contact with Pixel, both one-on-one with my mediocre Japanese skills, and through a wonderful translator for the big stuff (and pretty much everything, at this point) since early 2005.

We are clearing each and every step with Pixel before we move forward on just about anything, and are about to wrap up an early build for him to preview and put his OK stamp on."

*Upgraded For The PSP:

From That Unspoken Site wrote:
"Primarily, the game is intended to be exactly what it is, with a facelift, as the main goal is to get Cave Story to a wider audience and share that experience. (The facelift, sadly, is a necessity for this - not everyone is into the retro look and feel, and a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, so to speak.) We are absolutely planning other ways to expand the gameplay and make it a worthwhile purchase for old fans and soon-to-be-fans alike."

Don't you just love the interwebs and it's rumors? So one's gotta ask. Who's more credible? Variant or LiveJournal Posters?
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't gotten to play CS yet, but I LOVE the soundtrack.

-Rob
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny this thread should pop up again with more announcements, but the GBA port guy has now decided to port it over to the DS, and just released a demo file with the music and a few of the maps that you can scroll around on.

Impressive stuff, and I'm glad to see it's happening and moving forward. Plus I always wanted it to be more on the DS versus the GBA... more screen resolution to mantain the game with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: