Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 am

October 2006 - Spotlight: Star Trek V
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is mm-mm? And what the Hell does his name mean? I think one of the m's is for "mermaid" but I don't remember.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:
This took awhile, but I just made the connection the other day that Wait and See is actually based on the Russian cartoon Nu Pogodi! The cartoon's logo is in the upper-right corner of the title screen, and "Wait and See" is basically what "Nu Pogodi" translates to in English.

I don't know how the hell Bugs Bunny figures into things though.

This is a surprisingly good cartoon, probably because it's totally ripping off looney tunes (especially with the musical timing).
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Where is mm-mm?
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Smeg wrote:
Where is mm-mm?

I had his e-mail a while back and tried to contact him. He and I used to work on games to put up on JAPAN back when it was running, and he was trying to help me get together a dumper back when CopyNES didn't exsist.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixon wrote:
kap wrote:
Smeg wrote:
Where is mm-mm?

I had his e-mail a while back and tried to contact him. He and I used to work on games to put up on JAPAN back when it was running, and he was trying to help me get together a dumper back when CopyNES didn't exsist.

I remember seeing a lot of the dumps on JAPAN credited to mm-mm. That was like, 4-5+ years ago?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, until kev started producing CopyNES, mm-mm was basically THE dumper for NES games, first for Sardius' site, then nixon's and mine. I remember at least one other guy in that time period with a homemade unit, I want to say his name was Firebug?
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Yeah, until kev started producing CopyNES, mm-mm was basically THE dumper for NES games, first for Sardius' site, then nixon's and mine. I remember at least one other guy in that time period with a homemade unit, I want to say his name was Firebug?

Firebug sounds about right. A fellow in the UK who I believe was named Mark Knibbs and another fellow named AlanD both had copy units that I think predated CopyNES (either that or they were among the first people to get them). I remember sending AlanD several pirates, which he had minimal success dumping.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, mm-mm provided Red and I with the Christmas roms extravaganza that got his site up and running, and it was mm-mm's dumps along with all of those crazy Chinese pirate dumps that some of which only ran in SMYNes were just coming out that got JAPAN going... Wow, it would have been 5-6 years ago now that this happened, and that was basically when the little seeds of the LL's crew was born... *snifff*
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of funny that theredeye.net ended on a Christmas special too. Abruptly, with no explanation.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the text said that I would release one thing a day until Christmas, at which point I'd have a big surprise. My big surprise was that I wasn't updating the site anymore. Merry Christmas!
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, you gave us the surprise early, considering you went only about three days in.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four! Four days.

Remember how the front page was the Mega Man 2 title screen? I was going to change it to the ending screen, with the helmet in the foreground and stuff.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

\Firebug\ (or was it /Firebug/?) disappeared very suddenly. I think he still had somebody's carts too.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Firebug, Notgoth, Azimer and mm-mm are all trapped at the bottom of a well somewhere. They need help!
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did this thread devolve into the origins of Lost Levels (which all began when a million other sites imploded, except that one, bit-rot, which I could be wrong, but I think just died out and didn't become a member of the LL crew)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about System Failure. That was run by Blackjax, who stuck around here for a while until we kicked him out for reasons I can't really remember.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! Thank you I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that site, just that there was a purty gif of that busted T2 rom.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember why but what I prefer to remember about Blackjax is that he went to jail for forceably inserting (or attempting to insert, at any rate) a baseball bat in someone else's colon. What I don't remember is: ash or aluminum?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

\Firebug\ disappeared with my Solmon's Key proto that was purchased off ebay for an insane amount of money, and it turned out to have corrupted CHR. And the seller gypped me by ending the auction early or something like that, and then offered it to me for an extra hundred bucks. And the only reason we won it was because we assumed Wilson was the buyer, and it turned out he already has his own copy. That whole thing was just a fucking mess. I still have \Firebug\'s landmail address, it's somewhere in MN, but I never bothered trying to track him down or follow up or anything. The only good thing about that stupid proto was the weird label it had, and even that had like a coffee stain/water stain on it or something. Bleh.

Mark and Alan both had dumpers long before CopyNES was around, they were dumpers listed on Sardius' site back in the day. I actually sent a Superspike V'Ball/World Cup Soccer cart to Mark, but he sat on it for a year and then couldn't dump it because it had blobs. I think either I ended up sending it to Kev or someone else got a copy to him.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I actually sent a Superspike V'Ball/World Cup Soccer cart to Mark, but he sat on it for a year and then couldn't dump it because it had blobs. I think either I ended up sending it to Kev or someone else got a copy to him.

Back in the old "undumped list" days, I went out and found a copy of it and bought it to be dumped, and went to the boards to find out who to send it to, and some guy had already beat me to the punch. Nice to know it's you I have to blame for owning it. Actually, it's not to bad of a game...
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, I'm still pretty sure someone else's was dumped, maybe even yours man. I won my copy on ebay specifically to get it dumped. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: