Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

N64 kiosk demos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeiyaKou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: N64 kiosk demos? Reply with quote

As mentioned in the topic, what are these? I've heard people refering to "Turok 2 kiosk demo" as "Turok 2 beta" - is this game a beta or a demo Rolling Eyes ?
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility is that the cart was used in demo machines, set up in stores to sell more games, of course. Or maybe from E3 or something.

I would suspect beta to mean an unfinished copy, which differs in some way from the retail copies.
And that a kiosk demo would be the one described above.
But sometimes it's hard to tell which it is.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kiosk demo is a display demo used in a display stand. (normaly found in a store, but also at game/trade shows)

The physical cart for these are easy to recognize by a "DEMO ONLY - NOT FOR RESALE" label on the front artwork.

Often these are the same as the retail versions of a game, but in some cases, they offer limited gameplay, like the Majora's Mask Kiosk demo which lets you play specific sequences/areas from the game, selected from a menu.

I think the Turok 2 demo was like that too, and only had a few areas available for testing in the Kiosk demo version.

And as for Turok betas, I swear to god that at some point, it's gonna be easier to get ahold of work in progress copies of Turok games for the N64 than retail versions.

I bet it's a solid and good three figured number by now for the amount of different Turok/Acclaim N64 work-in-progress/beta carts I've seen on ebay and on collector's lists through the past few years
Gilgamesh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turok 2 (Not For Resale)

hiroshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah blah blah, useless information no one gives a crap about

Last edited by hiroshi on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
NES-a-holic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This demo is indeed limited, a friend of mine owns one and iirc he said it had 3 levels. They popped up rather often on eBay the past few months.
SeiyaKou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiroshi wrote:
Anyways, if you ever see the kiosk version of Pokemon Stadium floating around on the net, it's actually a bad dump. And really, it should have been identical to the final version, except for it crashing when certain pokemon are used. The actual cartridge in the kiosk didn't do that. Oops, too late. Pokemon suck anyway.

Damn! And I thought this was a major difference between kiosk demo and the retail version Rolling Eyes .

Thanx for the replys!
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got the banjo kazooie kiosk cart, the cart serial is different than the retail serial as i recall, i haven't dumped to see if its actually diff though
Tomek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Can someone PLEASE provide me a link where I can download ALL of the n64 Kiosk Games? It would also be nice if Jurai could dump his banjo kazzoie kiosk cart. If they havent been dumped yet, Please do so! Smile

Also, where can I download any of the dumped dev games? I am sure some of you have bought them on ebay or know someone who has, so please provide a link! Very Happy

I personally own the Banjo Tooie Kiosk cartridge, but it seems its excactly the same as the original! Sad

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: