Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

Something Big Heading to the Virtual Console? Rumor?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitrosoxide
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Something Big Heading to the Virtual Console? Rumor? Reply with quote

Well according to here.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=9790

“Something big is coming to the Virtual Console, something that, for the past decade, certain corners of the retro community have been crying out for. I wish I could say more, but the uncertainties of publishing schedules prevents me from spilling the beans too early. Nevertheless, if what we’ve heard turns out to be true, the virtual console is about to become a lot more interesting and looks like it might turn out to be much more valuable to dedicated retro gamers than we first thought.”

anyone wanna start their guesses?

Phillips cd-i Zelda? (with controls that don't make you puke)

Earthbound 64?

Starfox 2?

Virtual Boy emulation with Stereophonic glasses for sale?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Bros with Mario replaced by Tingle
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isn't bullshit, like most rumors tend to be, it has got to be Starfox 2.
Nitrosoxide
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Earthbound Zero. As it too like starfox 2 was completed, but never released.

It wouldn't be as cool though as we've already experienced that.
Deeblite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above.

And if it does turn out to be Earthbound Zero, that'd better mean they're intending to release Mother 3 in the US, too. Or there's gonna be hell to pay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neomerge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMNIT WE ALL WANT MOTHER 1 & 2 for GBA. HURRY UP NINTENDO PLEASE!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would one assume that it's somthing unreleased?

Starfox 2 is unpossible. I doubt nintendo still has the original assets, and it'd be rather dificult to finish the game using the rom floating around.

Earthbound 3 ain't commin.

Everything i've heard out of nintendo says that all stable assets from the DD version of Zelda: OoT went out in the master quest version on the Gamecube. If there was more completed, it's unlikely it's ready for production.

Given the nature of Nintendo's "grand" announcements lately, i would imagine it's something a bit more lackluster. Anyone remember the super-secret midnight announcement that the Broadway chips had gone to production 3 weeks before?

I would think it's more likely that GameBoy/GBC/GBA games are playable through VC, as they really already should be from the Gamecube emulation.
Nitrosoxide
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo definitely keeps prototypes of unreleased games.

After spending money on the development, it would seem stupid not to.

Cases in point.

Ura zelda (released on gamecube)

Bound High! (a TBR virtual boy game) was in fact played by editors in 2005

http://www.vr32.de/modules/articles/index.php?type=scans&show=147&page=1

So I'm sure nintendo doesn't rid themsleves of them.
Deeblite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're overlooking with the guess at GB/GBC/GBA games on the virtual console is the fact that he said it's something retro gamers have been begging for for a decade.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeblite wrote:
What you're overlooking with the guess at GB/GBC/GBA games on the virtual console is the fact that he said it's something retro gamers have been begging for for a decade.

Is it a girlfriend?
Deeblite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Deeblite wrote:

Is it a girlfriend?

Maybe it's a dating sim
Lakmir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not Starfox 2. Despite its relatively complete state, there was no English translation to go with it. If they were to use mine, it would be blatant copyright infringement and grounds for lawsuit.

Earthbound 0 is a possibility, however. So is Mother 3. That whole "certain corners of the community crying out for the past decade" thing strikes me as a shout out to Mother fans.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's reasonable to assume Nintendo finished Starfox 2, and localized it. After all, the Earthbound localization was complete, and that had way more to translate. Cleaning up Starfox wouldn't have been all that difficult.

It is reasonable to assume it's either EB or SF, though, imo.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't there some Starfox 2 screenshots released showing English text? A complete version with versus mode and fewer bugs would be nice to see.

It's probably not Starfox 2, though. I'm thinking either Earthbound Zero or Dracula X, if this whole thing is true at all. I'm still waiting on the DS Earthbound compilation Quartermannnnnn mentioned awhile back.

Also that gonintendo comments thread is the dumbest goddamned thing I've ever read. GOLDENEYE ONLINE + NIGHTS FTW
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I think it's reasonable to assume Nintendo finished Starfox 2, and localized it. After all, the Earthbound localization was complete, and that had way more to translate. Cleaning up Starfox wouldn't have been all that difficult.

It is reasonable to assume it's either EB or SF, though, imo.

That would be pretty interesting. Even if they didn't have a translation for it, I doubt it would cause Nintendo that much trouble to whip up one. And I probably wouldn't worry about Nintendo stealing your translation Gid. I assume they would want to avoid any potential lawsuits and bad press that might come out of it.

I'm kind of pessimistic that this news has anything to do with releasing an unreleased game. It seems like one of those too good to be true kinds of news. Still here's hoping I'm wrong.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just me talking out of my ass, but seeing as to how it was shown in some feature in Nintendo Power within the past year or two, in addition to the SNES version being available on Wii Virtual Console, could it be the NES version of Sim City?

Probably not likely, there's no real outcry for that. But I was a bit shocked to even see the SNES version available. I would have thought there would have been some licensing issues. If I had a Wii (which I do plan on getting once my financial status is stable again), that would probably be the first game I'd get. It was a charming little port.
Squirrel Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

(deleted)

Last edited by Squirrel Hunter on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Nitrosoxide
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that something the retro gaming community is crying out for?

Besides I doubt nintendos gonna flood there stores with homebrew games. It might be cool, but its doubtful. Why take attention away from their own games.

I really hope its bound high!.

But, earthbound seems really likely, with all the peitions and whatnot. even Miyamoto himself at one point commented on the petition. So nintendo definitely is aware of the want for it.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article has an "A" and a "99" in the article. Thats the only things I can make out. The letter before the A dont look like a E so I think we could rule out earthbound. There I dont think that there is a T before that A either so it isnt starfox. I doubt the retro community is waiting 10 years for Golden eye and Perfect Dark either since they were already released.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Sam & Max?

I remember the Telltale dudes were in speaking terms with Nintendo, about the possibility of adding downloadable S&M chapters to the virtual console.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: