Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 pm

Re: web hosting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: web hosting Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting some form of web hosting, and it seems pretty impossible to sort out the thousands of providers and such. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I won't be using them for anything large, probably just a personal site and some low-traffic stuff for family/friends (i.e. several domains). I guess this means I don't want to spend a lot, but VPS hosting is exerting some kind of unnatural draw on me. Do cheap VPS packages suck?

Also, as for specific requirements, I plan on using (read: playing with) Django, so mod_python is needed.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy's hosting is cheap ($3 a month) but i've had SERIOUS issues with their sql servers. I had to take gamerhistory off their servers because i had timeouts 10% of the time. My lower bandwidth site works much better on godaddy, plus it acts as a backup for my main site.

GamerHistory is on brinkster.com for $15 per month. Awesome uptime, awesome customer service, and daily backups. Only problem i had with them was their frickin background check when i signed up. I listed my home address as Microsoft's headquarters. Brinkster called MS looking for a Mr. Programing Ace... then cancled my account when they couldn't verify. I got it straightened out over the phone tho.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of when I was a kid and I applied to work at Best Buy through their automated phone system as "Satan." They called my mom asking if Satan was home.

Best Buy would willingly hire Satan if he passed their phone exam.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Brinkster called MS looking for a Mr. Programing Ace... then cancled my account when they couldn't verify. I got it straightened out over the phone tho.

So do they not understand that some people just don't want their personal info listed on a WHOIS or what?
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use dreamhost
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurai wrote:
i use dreamhost

Same, They sucked for about 6 months though during which they had a whole host of serious problems. For the most part they are great now, but as Im typing this they are having issues with the entire networks bandwidth.

Jurai, what site do you host with them?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:
Brinkster called MS looking for a Mr. Programing Ace... then cancled my account when they couldn't verify. I got it straightened out over the phone tho.

So do they not understand that some people just don't want their personal info listed on a WHOIS or what?

That's exactly it, they want their WHOIS to be accurate, which is stupid considering they already have my billing address from my credit card. Luckly my site was registered with another company who doesn't really care what i have for WHOIS, so brinkster doesn't have access to it for my site. I apparently live somewhere in the bahamas...
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamIAm wrote:
I'm looking into getting some form of web hosting, and it seems pretty impossible to sort out the thousands of providers and such. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

LL uses 1and1, which is probably too expensive for what we use it for, but it's typically fairly responsive, there's a shell account, the control panel has a good sql interface (and thank christ for that, I hate administering sql, though I could install my own phpmyadmin if I really wanted), and I've never had to use their support.. except for that one time when the machine was unreachable for like 6-10 hours. I never got an explanation back from them on that.

So, good, but probably too expensive (12 bucks a month I think), and the control panel has every manner of tool if you're a complete idiot.

Whoever mention Dreamhost, I've heard both horror stories and glowing reports. They claim not to have any resource ceilings, but if you use a lot of cpu, they WILL eventually force you out. If you just want to run a bunch of personal stuff where uptime isn't the highest necessity, it isn't a bad service, though if the service went down a lot, I'd be pissed off.

handofg0d wrote:

ProgrammingAce wrote:
That's exactly it, they want their WHOIS to be accurate, which is stupid considering they already have my billing address from my credit card.

Your domain registrar can revoke your domain name if they find the address on it or the info in your contacts is fake. They've done it before, and the heat has been turned up in the last year or so to do more to make sure this info isn't fake. Not to say all my domains have correct information on them, but this is turning into a reality now.

And, I have a real PO Box address that I use on my domains. It used to come in handy for the occasional cease and desist.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:

I cut out some article from the sports page like ten years ago that said "Satan saves the day", but funnier, something like that. Good times.

Also, back in the day, his player id page on espn.com was whatever.espn.com/whatever?id=666. Also good times!

edit: haha, still is. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=0666
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Administrative Contact:
      Ace, Programming  ace@hackur.com
      Somewhere
      SomewhereElse, Federated States of Micronesia 00000
      United States
      1234567890      Fax --

Looks legit to me....

I didn't realize they were cracking down on Whois to be honest, but if i had to choose between loosing my registrar and having my employer trace my site back to me.... thanks for the heads up.

Godaddy was pretty awesome for low trafic. $3 a month for 10 sql databases, 250 gb of bandwidth and 75 gb of storage.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Smeg wrote:

I cut out some article from the sports page like ten years ago that said "Satan saves the day", but funnier, something like that. Good times.

Also, back in the day, his player id page on espn.com was whatever.espn.com/whatever?id=666. Also good times!

edit: haha, still is. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=0666

Yeah, he's 666 on Yahoo too. They used to make shirts that said "Jesus saves, Satan scores".
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandi wrote:
Dear Gandi Customer,

As an ICANN accredited registrar, we are sending you this message because you are listed as the administrative contact of the following domain name(s).

This annual reminder is sent to comply with ICANN rules, and to help you maintain the contact data associated with your domain registration up-to-date. Our records indicate the contact information for all the domain's contacts - including your information as the administrative contact - and the owner.

Please note that, according to ICANN rules, if any of the contact or owner information is inaccurate, it must be immediately updated. This may be done on our website at http://www.gandi.net/ . If all of the information is accurate, you do not need to take any action. Please remember that under the terms of your registration agreement, the use of false Whois information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.

Thank you for your attention.

Please feel free to contact us via our online contact form if you have any additional questions.

Emphasis mine.
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dot50Cal wrote:
Jurai wrote:
i use dreamhost

Same, They sucked for about 6 months though during which they had a whole host of serious problems. For the most part they are GRATE now, but as Im typing this they are having issues with the entire networks bandwidth.

Jurai, what site do you host with them?

ring of fates is on dh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: