Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm

Super Mario Bros. Special for PC-8001
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
handofg0d

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Super Mario Bros. Special for PC-8001 Reply with quote

World Of Stuart, a site I've never heard of, released a ROM for "Super Mario Bros. Special" which was developed by Hudson, but never released. The game plays like shit, the screens don't actually scroll, instead when you reach the right edge gameplay stops for a moment while the next screen loads, a la Legend of Zelda, except its Mario, and you can only go in one direction. Also, some minor differences like Mario's hair is Brown, and there isn't that little pause when you get a Mushroom or Fire Flower. Oh, and its all new (well, 20 years old new) level designs.

Grab it here, if you want. The zip file holds the ROM and the Emulator, which is convenient since most everyone probably doesn't have a NEC PC-8001 Emulator on hand.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/special.htm
Mark30001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for that!
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't an unreleased game, and I've had this image since at least 1999.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an ongoing thread on this ay DP. If it is the same release, then it is a bad dump and unbeatable. However, I'm waiting for smeone to try it on the real thing to prove me wrong.

Behold:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83082&highlight=smbs

-Rob
handofg0d

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
This isn't an unreleased game, and I've had this image since at least 1999.

My mistake.
I originally found the link from http://gonintendo.com/?p=10886, and having never seen it before myself I assumed it was legit.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda fun when a site discovers an old page somewhere, posts it, , and then you really really get to see how much some of these sites (Kotaku, Joystiq and it's ilk) feed on each other.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
My mistake.
I originally found the link from http://gonintendo.com/?p=10886, and having never seen it before myself I assumed it was legit.

Hey, I had no idea either.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixon wrote:
It's kinda fun when a site discovers an old page somewhere, posts it, , and then you really really get to see how much some of these sites (Kotaku, Joystiq and it's ilk) feed on each other.

Sometimes I feel like my daily job is to post things that feed Slashdot, Joystiq, Kotaku and the Neogaf forums.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Sometimes I feel like my daily job is to post things that feed Slashdot, Joystiq, Kotaku and the Neogaf forums.

Isn't it?

But in all seriousness, I sometimes think the games bloggers out there are in some sort of race with each other, so if they find a new thread on Neogaf, it's instantly news without any sort of fact-checking, or even a quick google search. "Modern Gaming Journalism" has become less journalism, and more automated rapid blogging. Of course, I'm not saying anything Simon Carless hasn't said before.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Isn't it?

But in all seriousness, I sometimes think the games bloggers out there are in some sort of race with each other, so if they find a new thread on Neogaf, it's instantly news without any sort of fact-checking, or even a quick google search. "Modern Gaming Journalism" has become less journalism, and more automated rapid blogging. Of course, I'm not saying anything Simon Carless hasn't said before.

I was going to give you real examples that I've encountered at work, but then you had to go and link to something my boss wrote. Yes, it's true, it's all a rat race of people trying to do the exact same thing, but FASTER.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of these websites. I'm so uncool Sad
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
handofg0d wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Isn't it?

I was going to give you real examples that I've encountered at work, but then you had to go and link to something my boss wrote. Yes, it's true, it's all a rat race of people trying to do the exact same thing, but FASTER.

If I had the time/resources to run a blog, or work for one of the "big" blogs out there, I wouldn't just grab a quick google image that's midly on topic but somewhat ironically funny, and post a link and quote most of my blog from someone else's blog, which is probably a quote from the original source, then throw in a few extra sentances like most of these guys do. (Don't get me wrong, I admire quite a few gaming bloggers out there, but even they will let you down from time to time.) I mean, OK maybe you find something worthy of posting on another site instead of you know, say, doing some research/interview/etc. yourself and writing up some original piece. And you want to link that article, or at least address the news covered within. How about instead of just a quick copy and paste job, or using something like Flock Browser to do all the work for you, why not just address it in your own, original way, chock full of content you sat down, thought about and wrote, and then hey, throw in a fucking "Original Source: GamingDailyNewsBlogHardcore.net" link down at the bottom.
Whatever, lazy bastards.

[EDIT] Sorry for the run-on sentances, and irreverant tangents.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what's the absolute worst? When one of these blogs picks up something I posted, and then gets a million Digg hits to their post about my post.

I'll never, ever agree with a business model that relies on pageviews generated by other sites (like Digg and Slashdot). If you're not able to grow your audience on your own merits, you're doing it wrong.

(this shit has been on my mind a lot in the past few weeks, I should write something lengthy about it)
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I'll never, ever agree with a business model that relies on pageviews generated by other sites (like Digg and Slashdot). If you're not able to grow your audience on your own merits, you're doing it wrong.

Ok Dave "if you don't do it my way you're doing it wrong" Sim. Fine school of thought.

I keep trying to write more of a response, but I'm scatterbrained at the moment, like usual. I think you're being silly and closeminded here, because there is no right or wrong way. There's a cheap way and a hard work way, and depending on what you do one is going to work better than the other anyway.

And then, hell, if you submit yourself to slashdot or digg or whatever else for a link, does that mean you're doing it wrong, if you can't somehow get attention or don't care to try to begin with? I don't think you've been doing what you've been doing long enough to have an opinion that counts :P You need another couple websites under your belt or something.

All this is coming from the guy that hated self-promoters, too.

If you get around to it, I'd read whatever you had to say on the subject.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in TRE's case, they aren't just self promoting. They are just linking and quoting things he's written, then self-promoting that. It's getting hits that are doubley not meritted. They didn't write the piece, and they didn't draw their own hits. Self-promoting is one thing, but self-promoting your site that is a carbon copy of someone elses is something else. And I would have to side with Frank on that point.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as they feed off of each other though, it seems sometimes they miss what the other covers, then over a year later they post the same story like it's new, and don't bother to google to see if it's already be covered.

Exhibit A: Recent Kotaku Post
Exhibit B: Joystiqs coverage last year
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, everyone except Brian at Kotaku left and was hired by Wired News, and paid a shitload of money. The guys posting now are like the B-team...random neogaf guys or something.

And kap, I'm not talking about self-promotion necessarily, though that is a part of it. Self promotion is fine, submitting yourself to slashdot or digg is good old fashioned marketing, which is absolutely necessary to build your audience. What I'm talking about is sites that rely ENTIRELY on pageviews from referrals as their business model. I just feel like there are better ways to make money on the internet now. I mean, fuck, do you think a site like Newgrounds or Something Awful thrives because it gets linked to all the time?

They have a good product, and their audience grows and thrives naturally. Yes, their shit gets linked to, but eventually the audience sticks around naturally. Sites like, I don't know, next-gen.biz don't retain an audience as much as they struggle daily for the quick hit. It just seems short-sighted to me.
Computolio_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an X68000 version of SMB that I can't for the life of me get to start. It needs some odd key or key combination that I can't seem to blunder into.

Naturally, it's a much much better port.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the problem is sites that exist just to make money. Any business that necessitates a website with a business model and has nothing to do with the real world or anything outside the site (IE, Amazon sells physical objects) is in the wrong just to start. Unless it's begun to serve some other need and morphs into a site that is able to rake in the cash, fuck it.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I personally think the problem is sites that exist just to make money. Any business that necessitates a website with a business model and has nothing to do with the real world or anything outside the site (IE, Amazon sells physical objects) is in the wrong just to start. Unless it's begun to serve some other need and morphs into a site that is able to rake in the cash, fuck it.

So are you telling me that SMASHMYPS3.COM is wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: