Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Sonic Rush (DS) E3 Beta, dumped

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Sonic Rush (DS) E3 Beta, dumped Reply with quote

http://www.hidden-palace.org/?releases/42

It's a one-level beta with different music and voices etc. Enjoy?
Jurai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumped before
drx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must've been a private dump then. I don't know who cares about private dumps, but it's not me.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dude, I don't recall this. Are you talking about the Sonic Advance 3 leak that almost got me fired?
Orusaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have an awesome job if a leaked beta could cost get you fired. Then again, you run lostlevels.org, so you qualify as awesome either way. That said, I do seem to remember there being a Sonic Advance 3 beta around some time before the game came out. Is there a story to that? Feel free to tell me to go away if it's taboo.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's okay, I'll tell the story. I was reviewing games for Nintendo Official Magazine UK for about a year or so. One of my assignments was to preview Sonic Advance 3, so I got a copy of the game about three months early, as did a handful of other journalists.

One of these other guys (I never found out who) decided it was a good idea to leak the game out to the internet. And given my history (such as this very site you're looking at), who do you think was prime suspect #1?

Long story short, my editor nearly had a heart attack, Sega reps from Japan flew out to speak to him personally (along with the other publications), and...they never mentioned it again. Either they caught the other bastard, or decided they didn't care, or...I don't know. But I kept my job!
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
I don't know who cares about private dumps, but it's not me.

Hah. I like this guy.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think it's correct that this thing has been dumped before.

Atleast at some point in the past, I downloaded an 8mb (iirc) NDS rom labeled something like "Sonic Rush E3 preview" (before I got myself any equipment for playback of stuff like this, so it might've hidden itself somewhere without a proper label in my shelves)

Anyway, I have a curious question about this one though;
I noticed your dump is 64mb, while the actual amount of data in the file is barely above 4mb (indicating that cart size should most likely be 8mb/64mbits)

Do anyone know if DS dev carts are set to specific key sizes before/when you write to them, or are they predesigned for one size only ? (like this being written on a 64mb/512mbits cart. And not a 128mb/1gbits cart being currently set to be a 64mb/512mbits cart or evt. this being an overdump of a 8mb/64mbits cart)
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhh I think Jurai is correct, I belive I might have this downloaded from the NDS newsgroup. I need to search my archives. But whatever, it's cool.
James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
No, it's okay, I'll tell the story. I was reviewing games for Nintendo Official Magazine UK for about a year or so. One of my assignments was to preview Sonic Advance 3, so I got a copy of the game about three months early, as did a handful of other journalists.

One of these other guys (I never found out who) decided it was a good idea to leak the game out to the internet. And given my history (such as this very site you're looking at), who do you think was prime suspect #1?

Long story short, my editor nearly had a heart attack, Sega reps from Japan flew out to speak to him personally (along with the other publications), and...they never mentioned it again. Either they caught the other bastard, or decided they didn't care, or...I don't know. But I kept my job!

Ha, I wondered where the hell that leaked from.
drx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
drx wrote:
I don't know who cares about private dumps, but it's not me.

Hah. I like this guy.

Of course sometimes you're left to choose whether to hoard something, or let it disappear. Now those situations are sad.

About it being dumped before: well, I've checked around and it's not included in any of the 'romsets' I found, and I've talked to some of the DS warez junkies (those from gbatemp) and they didn't know about any earlier dump.

Well if it's already dumped, that sucks a lot, cause I spent $150 on it.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped a lot more money than that to get stuff dumped that turned out to be either bad or worthless. Shit happens, and it does suck. At least you're making an effort, that means a lot too.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters if it was dumped before. Cause apparently noone has that dump so it's still new to us.
Getz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I've dropped a lot more money than that to get stuff dumped that turned out to be either bad or worthless.

what's the worst example of that you've had?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to think about it, heh.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to butt in here, but a horrible one I went through was with a seller on ebay who was selling a Saturn PSY-Q with a Saturn disc which they said was a "Biohazard 1 Beta".

The auction ended around 300-400$ (I cant recall exactly). I believe Jurai was bidding on this, or perhaps he found out about it later as I got a PM asking if I'd share it.

Anyway, When I got the thing it turns out the disc doesnt boot. So I go to the PC and check it out. All thats there is a folder, with the disc contents in it. What the hell?

So I do a file compare on various versions of Resident Evil / Biohazrd for saturn I own and sure enough all the files match the UK release except a few, which match the USA release.

Fairly angry, I message the person and he replies that he was bidding on the beta on ebay a long time ago but lost it. He then messaged the seller asking if he could sell him a copy.

The seller agree's and sends him a working copy on a CDR. The jackass buys a PSYQ saturn to play it, but soon after screws the disc up enough to where it cant play.

So he then goes to Yahoo Japan and buys a Saturn CDR and attempts to burn the disc so he can play it. Except he just burns the files like a complete idiot. Realizing his mistake, he puts it all on ebay (sans original WORKING disc) and I buy it, since he listed it as working.

A really awful experience and I ended up selling the PSYQ for less than 200$.

The oddest thing out of this whole story is that the original seller on ebay sold the original disc to another person, not the jackass who sold me the PSYQ, he was only given a copy.

Except the guy who bought the original off ebay contacted me before the PSYQ guy and offered to sell the original to me. I accepted and paid somewhere around 200$ for it. Comparing the files off the fake saturn disc and the original mentioned above, they are a perfect match.

So essentially I paid for a near final release, AND a non-working copy of this one. Doh.

Jurai got pissed at me too when I said I'd need to look into it further before releasing it (as I didnt even have it at the time he contacted me) but it turns out its nothing but final code. He seems to have lightened up when he realized he saved 400$ from garbage though Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: