Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am

Sonic: The Lost Levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XDelusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Sonic: The Lost Levels Reply with quote

Do any of you recall back when Sega first started putting an in game picture of Sonic on the back of the Genesis box?

If you had the chance to see this, you should have noticed that it was a picture of Sonic in world 2, but...

...there were these little chips (rotating I assume) falling from the sky, yet this was NOT part of the game when it finally came out.

What's the deal? Was that only in the beta version, or what, was it leaked, ect.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

I'd always assumed this was concept art. I think BMF might have more insight than me, though.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They mention that over at Sonic Cult
http://www.sonic-cult.org/sonic1/megacosm2.htm
But there isn't really any more info to be had about it.
nateJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those probably aren't falling chips from the sky. Considering Sonic's position, they look more like platforms that were later taken out. Most likely they made the level too hard for the average gamer. Whether this was proven through focus group or just speculation by Sega I don't know but that's probably what happened.

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by what I said: that's concept art. Those platforms may have never appeared in the game itself.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you, Red. Something about that lava doesn't look "right" by Genesis standards.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming for a moment that the platforms in that image were once real code and not just a mockup, I theorize that they'd have been removed because they were disruptive to the gameplay. Sonic games are all about high speed, and those platforms don't look like they'd lend themselves well to that. They look rather boring and useless, really.
Sushi D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... i kinda agree with you smeg....

there have been a few more mock ups... like a desert level (Known in the sonic community as "Dust Hill Zone") and such..

the real sonical* goodness resides in a BETA of Sonic 2 dug up by a guy named Simon Wai (affectionately named Simon Kawaii). two somewhat constructed levels have been found in them...

http://sws2b.dyndns.org:1124/
that is his site..

wah... i come from this sonic-cult.org community.... many of the members there chop through the sonic games finding things....so this isnt new for me...

meh.. i need a change from the sonical-ness..which is why i'm ghosting here... you folks here have some hi-q stuff...

*Sonical - A term coined in a weird japanese 'Sonic Advanced' commercial...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEEN IT. But yeah, definitely worth mentioning. I've been following this stuff for what seems like years.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say that most of the screenshots released by Sega themselves are mockups--they want the game to look its best, so they manually paste Sonic, the enemies, Rings, etc. into the scene. The shots have been dissected numerous times, and most people in the Sonic secrets scene nowadays would probably agree that Sonic's pose and positioning in each of the shots is totally unrealistic, considering how both the camera system and the game physics work. This doesn't mean that the elements in the screenshots never existed in the game, since some graphics and enemies have been found buried in the Sonic 2 prototype, but the scene layouts themselves are most likely pure fiction.

Pretty much the only Sonic discoveries that excite me anymore are new magazine screenshots (almost always taken from a real prototype cart), or actual lost data...
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there have been a few more mock ups... like a desert level (Known in the sonic community as "Dust Hill Zone")

Please note that this was just an assumption made by some Sonic fans after seeing that there was a "Dust Hill Zone" in the early level select screen... Even if it led to a completely different stage when selected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: