Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

Nekketsu High; the Unofficial RCR Fan Sequel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Nekketsu High; the Unofficial RCR Fan Sequel Reply with quote

Would the General Gaming section be a good place to post a fan game project? Or should I post it here?

Last edited by Razor_Guardian on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just edit this thread title and just post it here. We'll move it if it ends up being a good idea.
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, then...

This is an excerpt taken directly from my site.

Quote:
1/6/07

Nekketsu High: Fighter's Destiny is a Game Maker 6.1 project I'm working on inspired by a 1989 NES video game called 'River City Ransom'. If you've played River City Ransom, you know that my game will be a scrolling action RPG beat-em-up with deformed characters with big heads. The features in Nekketsu High will include the following...

There are many different characters to play as and talk with . There's also an ally system where you can switch with them and fully customize their strategies and battle personalities. You gain levels by beating up enemies instead of buying stat-increasing items at shops (you still can, though they're expensive and limited). There are also 9 different fighting styles that come with each character/gang. There will be about 4 or 5 gangs with each type, adding up to a grand total of about 40 gangs in the game. There will also be 11 different areas with about 6 rooms in each area, with a sum of 66 rooms. I know it sounds like a lot, but the final product will be worth it.

As for the gameplay, there'll be punches, kicks, chops, body slams, counterattacks, grappling moves, and throwing techniques. There will be lots of moves resting under each of these respective categories, and also some special techniques given to certain characters and gangs, and ones that you can buy/learn. You can also link several techniques and moves into powerful and unique combo techniques to pummel enemies with. Which combo techniques you can depend on your character's personality, fighting style, and schism (hero/villain).

Ah, the graphics...they're mostly ripped sprites from the RCR/Kunio series shaded into 24-bit. To those of you saying 24-bit doesn't exist, you're correct. 24-bit is just I term I use to classify sprites that are "more advanced than 16-bit but too deformed to be 32-bit. To clarify this even more, the colors are shaded into three (sometimes four) hues, but there is still a thick black outline around each character that represents 8-bit type shading in some areas. The backgrounds are mostly GBA/SNES, but I also have some 8-bit backgrounds in there that I'm unsure of how to shade. I think I'm going to use Game Maker's neat little graphic enhancer.

The plot goes something like this...

It's a warm night. Two young teenagers are strolling down the street, one apparently older than the other. The elder is of average height, fairly wiry, and has medium-long length light brown hair with rippling bangs. The younger one is blond with long, streaming hair and is roughly the same height as his partner but skinny instead of wiry. They appear to be close brothers. The older one suddenly stops, turns around, and begins glancing around. The younger one also stops to see what the trouble is. Suddenly, a gang of nine lunges out of the mist--each member appears to use a different fighting rule based on their clothing. They enclose the two boys in a tight circle, and attack. The older brother fights back but the other one seems to be inexperienced at combat and is easily dispatched. Largely outnumbered and without help, it isn't long before the elder boy joins his companion. The gang encloses them again, but the brunet stops them. He appears to be pleading about something.

There's a long silence. Suddenly, a gang member steps up and picks the pleader up. The rest of the gang follows the member as he carries the boy off. The younger one stands up, protests, and runs after them, but a gang member pushes him back. The one being carried off takes something from his shoulder and throws it to the lone brother, shouting something. He snatches it out of the air, and examines it. It's a long stick carved to look like a short sword, except with markings and exquisite shapes. He looks up, but the group is already out of sight.

Elsewhere, two junior high school students are enjoying the weekend. Neither one knows it, but they are both walking in the same area and are about to discover the same thing. They're heading toward Sherman Park, an ideal place to hang out. One student is wearing a white shirt and has dark brown hair. The other student has blue hair and is wearing a dark blue shirt. The latter arrives first. He's about to sit down on a bench and read a magazine when he notices something sprawled on the ground out of the corner of his eye. He moves closer and closer until he's right next to the object. He realizes it's a person. A blond teen male with long streaming hair.

That's all of the info I'll spare for now. I hope I got you excited!

2/1/07

I finally decided to get up off my butt and give some more information on Fighter's Destiny. Happy February, by the way.

I'm currently working on the game's first demo. You play as Nathan, one of my own fan characters (the blond kid described in the plot excerpt), and you fight hordes of enemires in a building and on the building's roof. I'm trying to make it so that 3 different types of gangs appear and I'm also coding the enemy AI. Coding River City Ransom enemies is hard work because you have to make them extremely intelligent and have different personalities. The demo should be out in two, three, four, or more months, depending on my mood.

Later, peeps.

Yeah, I'm still working on it. I just can't seem to get Nathan's looks just right. Here's what I have of him so far...

One of the gangs that will appear in the demo will be the Dragons from RCREX. The Rejects will be there, too. I'll also have one of my own gangs.

That's all for now.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...er. While I love how the gameplay sounds, I'm not yet sure what to make about the sprite design, if the one you posted is anything to go by (which it probably isn't, but yeah). That said, would you like any help with sprite designs or anything? I've been hacking Nekketsu games for years so I'd like to think that I've got a good grasp on the style by now.
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept your request. However, that was the Nathan that you would see in the demo. I got a bunch of sprites from Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu, Nekketsu Koushin Kyokou, and Kunio kun no Jidaigeki. I know you're iffy about his hair and face. I'll have to make a few adjustments.
rahga

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News flash: Kunio is dead.
(and you're next....)

Completely failed to gain my interest, and I actually own a few of those games. Maybe it's that I've seen nicer fan projects, or that I don't really dig this sort of thing anyway.
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
News flash: Kunio is dead.

Not quite. He (and Riki) will live on as people coninue to play their games. The fact that I'm making a fan project based on his games proves that he isn't dead.

Quote:
Completely failed to gain my interest, and I actually own a few of those games.

Maybe you'll change your mind when the first demo comes out. More ideas are budding and will continue to bud. It's good that you own the games; now you know more ways to base your rating.

Quote:
Maybe it's that I've seen nicer

I think that was a hack of Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu, or an unrealeased game. I dunno; I can't read Japanese (but I really want to...).

Quote:
fan projects,

That wasn't a game project. It was simply a Flash creation to promote Kunio fandom. It sure was a kickass Flash, though.

Quote:
or that I don't really dig this sort of thing anyway.

I'm not going to bribe you into changing your outlook. All I ask is for you to hang on until you see the game and decide things from there.

The demo is coming along...slowly. I want it to be extra nice for you to play to get a good head start on the game. I'm working on making the music as well. Hang in there...
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:
Maybe you'll change your mind when the first demo comes out. More ideas are budding and will continue to bud.

I have lots of ideas, but they don't come out of my brain and become games. Do you have a coder? An artist? What engine are you using?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I have lots of ideas, but they don't come out of my brain and become games.

WWII: World War II?

Actually, i'd like to see that one...

Razor_Guardian wrote:

The demo is coming along...slowly. I want it to be extra nice for you to play to get a good head start on the game. I'm working on making the music as well. Hang in there...

If you really want to see this project get off the ground you might want to skip the demo. The longer you keep the project relatively secret, the longer you have to work on it before Atlas' legal beagles start sending you nastygrams.

One thing i've said in the past is to design the game using 2 sets of artists. One designing sprites that look like River City and a second following behind them removing any references to copyrighted characters and art. When the game is complete, release an un-official patch to change the artwork and names. Still technically a violation of copyrights, but it's a lot harder prevent assuming you keep the true intent a secret.
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have lots of ideas, but they don't come out of my brain and become games. Do you have a coder? An artist? What engine are you using?

Coder: Me.

Artist: Me.

Engine: Game Maker 6.1.

This is a one-man deal so far. The truth is that I don't work well in groups. Doubt me now, but I won't let anyone down.

Quote:
If you really want to see this project get off the ground you might want to skip the demo. The longer you keep the project relatively secret, the longer you have to work on it before Atlas' legal beagles start sending you nastygrams.

One thing i've said in the past is to design the game using 2 sets of artists. One designing sprites that look like River City and a second following behind them removing any references to copyrighted characters and art. When the game is complete, release an un-official patch to change the artwork and names. Still technically a violation of copyrights, but it's a lot harder prevent assuming you keep the true intent a secret.

I'm just going to realease one demo to get the hype started, then put the finished game up much later.

I'm not going to sell this game. It's one thing to make a fan sequel and put it on the web for free play, but it's another to take a title, make a new game from it using official made sprites and music, and sell it. The first option won't get me into any lawsuits.
rahga

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Do you want to develop computer games without spending countless hours learning how to become a programmer? Then you've come to the right place. Game Maker allows you to make exciting computer games, without the need to write a single line of code. Making games with Game Maker is a lot of fun."

Apply directly to the forehead.

Back in 1992 or so, I was 13... the only way to get to the internet was through a lynx session hosted by an educational BBS network, I made a post to some other silly BBS network about my ideas for a free-form prohibition-era gangster game where you could work with other gang members to pull heists, block traffic to let your bootleggers go through, etc. I must have typed a 3 page description of the thing, complete with an ASCII-art header, and tossed it out there to see if the idea appealed to people.

Either I was just a stupid kid with an idea that I had absolutely no ability to follow through on, or I am directly responsible for creating the Grand Theft Auto series.

Beyond that, TRE said everything else I could possibly want to say, and better.

On a related story, at the same time, I blew around $300 in savings on some Borland C++ package. I think it had 1 CD and about 30 lbs of book. Of course, it was completely overwhelming for me at the time, never did anything with it.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to (and still do, i suppose) use Game maker to prototype out game concepts before i spent the time to put in real code.

I was working on a shooter, and i couldn't decide on how difficult i wanted the game to be, so i prototyped out the engine and used game maker for the initial in-house playtesting. Sadly that company is now out of business and the game maker based engine is all they ever had to show for the project...

That being said, this was 2003-2004 and i'm pretty sure i was using version 6.1 then. I hope their tools have progressed since then?
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apply directly to the forehead.

Back in 1992 or so, I was 13... the only way to get to the internet was through a lynx session hosted by an educational BBS network, I made a post to some other silly BBS network about my ideas for a free-form prohibition-era gangster game where you could work with other gang members to pull heists, block traffic to let your bootleggers go through, etc. I must have typed a 3 page description of the thing, complete with an ASCII-art header, and tossed it out there to see if the idea appealed to people.

Either I was just a stupid kid with an idea that I had absolutely no ability to follow through on, or I am directly responsible for creating the Grand Theft Auto series.

Beyond that, TRE said everything else I could possibly want to say, and better.

On a related story, at the same time, I blew around $300 in savings on some Borland C++ package. I think it had 1 CD and about 30 lbs of book. Of course, it was completely overwhelming for me at the time, never did anything with it.

Sounds cool. Did you get that idea from River City Ransom? Also, are you trying to say that I should take things more slowly?

Anyway, I have a lot of the sprites in for Nathan. I'm also planning on totally revamping the plot, because the one I have up sounds gay.
rahga

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:
Anyway, I have a lot of the sprites in for Nathan. I'm also planning on totally revamping the plot, because the one I have up sounds gay.

Yeah, 'cuz the name Nathan sounds sooo totally straight and macho, not ********* at all. Pair him up with a dude in a pink Hawaiin shirt named Craig, give them codependency issues, and you've got a winner.

If you aren't going with Japanese names, at least go for the gold... Bullies like "Snakeyes Sixkiller" and chicks like "Lustine MacBumpsalot". Ah, almost reminds me of my own high school days.

Last edited by rahga on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:

Wow, you're almost done!
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, leave the poor guy alone. Sure, it would've been better for him if he had waited until he had something to show for his enthusiasm, but at least he isn't a complete ass. We've had far worse.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:
I'm also planning on totally revamping the plot, because the one I have up sounds gay.

Was the sauna involved?
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, 'cuz the name Nathan sounds sooo totally straight and macho, not homoerotic at all. Pair him up with a dude in a pink Hawaiin shirt named Craig, give them codependency issues, and you've got a winner.

If you aren't going with Japanese names, at least go for the gold... Bullies like "Snakeyes Sixkiller" and chicks like "Lustine MacBumpsalot". Ah, almost reminds me of my own high school days.

Their last names are Japanese. Nathan isn't supposed to be macho, anyway.

I'll probably use names like those for bosses.

Quote:
Wow, you're almost done!

No comment.

Quote:
Aw, leave the poor guy alone. Sure, it would've been better for him if he had waited until he had something to show for his enthusiasm, but at least he isn't a complete ass. We've had far worse.

Thanks. Actually, I do have a tendency to throw out my ideas before actually starting to execute them...

Quote:
Was the sauna involved?

No, but it was still gay.

Listen. I'm still just a kid. This game is going to have a demo. It's going to have a storyline. It's going to have characters. It's going to have stuff that some people may not like, but that's what everyone has to go through. Hard times only lead to success. That is, unless you're a quitter.

You can post things, and I'll listen, unless it's spam or blamming or senseless crap. TRE and ragha, I'm interested in what you have to say just as long as there aren't insults involved. I realize you're trying to help, and I appreciate that.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's some honest, genuine advice, from someone who knows a thing or two about game development.

MAKE A GAMEPLAY PROTOTYPE FIRST. Fuck the sprites and the story, make a very small demo with placeholder art (use the NES sprites, use whatever you have around) to see if you can even get something running where you can move around and fight one enemy that has actual AI implemented. If you can't do that, you're wasting your time. If you CAN do that, build from there. It's a game, gameplay is the most important aspect.

If you do somehow manage to build a game, 80% of the ideas you have right now are not going to make it into the final product. This is not a reflection on you as a person, this is just the way things work, for ANY game.

So if you're serious about this, cut the crap and make a sketchy prototype. Just try to make one screen that can scroll, one character you can control, and one enemy to fight. If you manage to accomplish this, not only will we take you seriously, you'll get a crash course lesson in what development is actually like in the real world.

Get moving. Good luck.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, fuck the story and start writing a tech demo now. Worry about the cutesy stuff later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: