Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am

Incredibly rare video of HI-TEN Bomberman - first HDTV game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirRaid

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Incredibly rare video of HI-TEN Bomberman - first HDTV game Reply with quote

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ijWXi-vUzrM

Hi-TEN Bomberman on a Plasma HDTV back in 1993 - the first HD videogame. This was a special prototype game shown a traveling Hudson Soft event called "Gaming Caravan", in 1993 and 1994.

Quote:
This is the revolutionary Hi-Ten Bomberman, a ten player bomberman with custom hardware on one of the earliest and most expensive High Definition televisions from 1993.

Yes, 1993.

The system is quite amazing to imagine that HD gaming was taking place over 14 years ago in Japan.

There are rumors this game was done on a PC-FX prototype hardware, but it's more like a one of a kind machine.

This game went on to inspire the 10 player Sega Saturn version of bomberman.

This footage is ultra rare and probably the only footage available now, if ever.

related thread:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showt...i-ten+bomberman

http://assemblergames.com/forums/showpost....mp;postcount=14
Quote:
the game runs on an NEC PC (probably a PC98 or PC88 variant) and uses the two PC Engines for nothing more than controller inputs. The entire game and video are generated inside the computer. The TV is, in this case, not much more than a widescreen flat monitor connected to a computer.

For some more details, please see Next Generation magazine, issue #3, page 79.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php...i-ten+bomberman

Nash wrote:

Quote:

Hudson could gain a lot of goodwill and attention from ressurrecting Hi-Ten Bomberman for XBLA, as not only would it be 10-player online Bomberman but it would also be giving fans the chance to play the only unreleased Bomeberman game.

It was never released commerically, and only used at Hudson's HQ in Japan and on a roadshow that went round Japan.

Quote:

There was a lot in it that didn't make it to the cut-down Saturn 10-player mode, like multiple stages, and the arrows in the above shot.

Quote:

Look at that HD Bomberman goodness!

GIVE US HI-TEN BOMBERMAN!

Hi-TEN Bomberman was the basis of the 10-player mode in Saturn Bomberman (1996-1997), although after seeing this video, I can say that Hi-TEN looks MUCH better than Saturn's 10-player mode. Saturn's 10-player mode has TINY characters, a lower resolution, really looks very different than Hi-TEN. It looks flat & dull in comparison You could say Saturn's 10-player mode was a modified, downgraded version of Hi-TEN.
So I agree with Nash's post from neogaf.

note: there were actually two versions

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showp...mp;postcount=10

Hi-Ten Bomberman and Hi-Ten KaraBom from Hudson Summer Caravan 1993 and 1994.
The developper is Katsuhiro NOZAWA.

I had never seen Hi-TEN Bomberman in motion before today, we can thank Assembler from assemblergames.com for that incredibly rare video.

Too bad it probably will never see a commercial release - this is truly the Holy Grail of Bomberman games.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap..thanks for sharing. bomberman's one of my fav games, that tap is sick like lupus too.
AirRaid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank Assembler, he made it possible to see the footage Cool
hiroshi

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As awesome as it would be to have this, I've never been able to get more than 4 people to play Saturn Bomberman. I scoured Funcolands for months to collect all those damn controllers =(
AirRaid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as cool as 10-player Saturn Bomberman probably is, I don't think it could hold a candle to the non-commercial demo-only Hi-TEN version that was 3 years older.

compare:

10-player Hi-TEN Bomberman, widescreen HD, 1993

10-player mode on Saturn, widescreen SD, 1996
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Saturn Bomberman is better.

10-player mode is kind of hard to see, though. 8-player mode is more workable and chaotic. Then there's the problem in that the opportunity to play a full 10-player match only comes along once every million years or so. But I've done it! And I'll probably do it again!
AirRaid

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously by looking at the screens & video, Hi-Ten Bomberman's 10-player mode looks vastly better than Saturn's 10-player mode.

Hi-TEN

Saturn 10-player

Saturn's single player campaign is a different story though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: