Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

California raisins and other unreleased NES game on eBay.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgraves000

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: California raisins and other unreleased NES game on eBay. Reply with quote

I just found a copy of the california raisins game on ebay and I bought it. The seller also had a few other unreleased games like final fantasy 2. They are the USA versions and say officially licensed by nintendo. I guess a handful of them were made.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are bootlegs. If you paid more than $30 you got ripped off.
jps

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same guy has Makai Island bootlegs too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
linlhutz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: California raisins and other unreleased NES game on eBay Reply with quote

jgraves000 wrote:
I just found a copy of the california raisins game on ebay and I bought it. The seller also had a few other unreleased games like final fantasy 2. They are the USA versions and say officially licensed by nintendo. I guess a handful of them were made.

http://www.nesreproductions.com/

$25.00 and a donor cart.

I see you paid $35.00. Not bad. Certainly not as bad as the guy who paid $128.50 for one.
Even after it states in the auction "NOT A PROTOTYPE AND NOT RARE..."
JimmyJam

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35$ is not a bad deal for the amount of work that goes into one and all the parts to be able to play the game the way it was ment to be played!

I might have to buy a few of these myself, hopefully another one will pop up! Im glad that we have a way to play these on actual NES hardware the way they were ment to be played, thats awesome.
jgraves000

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was questioning this before i bought em but i got em anyways. It was kinda fun playing em. After I looked at the label its not like any other ones, its kinda blurry, and the Nintendo seal doen't shine in the light like the others. The main reason I got em was to try and make some money. Someone did pay a lot for California raisins. Does anyone know if this really legal. When i played the game it did say it has a copyright.
JimmyJam

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this legal?

Game reproductions of commercially available games is illegal. But these games were never commercially released in North America! As such, no profits are taken away from any individual, company or corporation. All these games can be easily found on the Internet (on websites such as romnation.net or lostlevels.org)
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's technically illegal. you're copying and selling someone else's copyrighted work (remember, in the US a work is automatically copyrighted upon creation, not upon sale). Capcom most likely still holds the coppyrights to the California raisins game, the question is whether they really care.

copyright.com wrote:
You may also be criminally liable if you willfully copy a work for profit or financial gain, or if the work has a value of more than $1,000. Penalties can include a one year jail sentence plus fines. If the value is more than $2,500, you may be sentenced to five years in jail plus fines. Criminal penalties generally apply to large-scale commercial piracy.

Buying a cart with the intention to resell would fall under "for-profit". Again, the question is if anyone really cares
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish someone was doing snes repros
jgraves000

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what it looks like inside. It seemed to be partly glued shut. I know the soldering isn't normal.
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/4433cb00m1467f982/bc/california+raisins.jpg?bf0gjXGB8uAM7AK0
jgraves000

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure its illegal... I guess the companies don't really care about the roms on the net.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the companies probably "care". However the amount they care is usually inversely proportional to the age and the obscurity to the work[1] in question.

And I don't want to be too off-topic, but I just want to say that we seriously need to change copyright laws (in the US, at least). 28 years ought to be enough for anybody.

[1] Ooh look at me, I'm using lawyer terms.
Jred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, the California Raisins is using a label I made too. This is why I quit putting new ones up on the website. Too many end up being used to sucker people on ebay (though nescaro is at least apparently selling them for a normal repro price, that other guy has Scarabeus repro up with a $150 buy it now)
failure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: I ended up with Makai Island... Reply with quote

I bought the Makai Island from Necrosaro thinking I was getting a heck of a deal. Once I got the game in the mail and took a good look at the label and noticed that the top and bottom pieces of the case didn't quite line up right I started really thinking maybe I'd purchased a reproduction.

Now that I've hit this post I'm fairly certain. Oh well, at least I didn't pay an outrageous amount. I gave $39 shipped for it, so I can't be too upset. Learned a relatively cheap lesson there, I didn't even know that reproduction NES games were out there.

If anyone is curious here's a picture of my copy that I got in the mail.

jgraves000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looked really bad too. I paid 35 for california raisins and its currently at $50 on eBay. The only reason i bought it was because I saw one go for $128.50. The guy that has the current high bid is the guy that has another one for sale and he bought a bunch from necrosaro420. I fixed the picture. Heres what it looks like inside.

handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha - the High Bidder on your copy - "guitarplaya0522" is also selling a different copy.

He started bidding at $80 and already has a bidder - so seems like he knows how to turn a profit...

Here's the first line from his auction:

"I'VE SOLD THIS GAME 4 OR 5 TIMES BEFORE AND EVERY TIME IT HAS SOLD FOR $125 OR MORE. CHECK MY FEEDBACK AND YOU'LL SEE I'M TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. BUY IT NOW IT YOUR BEST OPTION : )"

I'm guessing the BIN was $100
JimmyJam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, those look a lot better than the ones I had purchased from http://www.nesreproductions.com a while back, text is real blurry and all.

Not a bad deal for $35, luckly I was able to grab mine before a donor cart was required. Glad someone is doing this so we can play the game the way it was ment to be played!
jgraves000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of playing it how its meant to be played, i recently modded my ps2 and i have a disc that has every nes rom on it and they all run and sound like normal. Only they look a lot sharper, and its kinda weird cause i use svideo. its definitely worth doing.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgraves000 wrote:
speaking of playing it how its meant to be played, i recently modded my ps2 and i have a disc that has every nes rom on it and they all run and sound like normal. Only they look a lot sharper, and its kinda weird cause i use svideo. its definitely worth doing.

Nothing weird about it, S-Video should look WAY sharper than an RF lead or Composite video.
jgraves000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that it's kinda weird seeing the games look so sharp instead of being blurry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: