Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm

mario land remakes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: mario land remakes? Reply with quote

does anyone else still find it odd that nintendo havent re-released mario land or mario land 2? I know they arent strictly canonical games and werent made by miyamoto but Surely nintendo should be savvy enough to re-release them somehow?

I dont think that they'd really represent value for money even if bundled together as theyre both really short but maybe if nintendo added more levels or threw some of the earlier wario land games into the mix it would surely make a nice retro package for the gba or ds? anyone agree?
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pretty much summed up why they wouldn't/shouldn't re-release it.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Not likely. Reply with quote

Nintendo have shown time again that they will gouge for as much money as they can if they feel like re-releasing something. Sadly, their fans have proven they will bend over happily for Mario every time. If these ever got re-released, they'd be Virtual Console games for $5 a piece with no enhancements.

Just wait until they get desperate when a few of their 1st-prty games slip away from their release dates, and you might see them.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SML2 was kinda a bit slow, and small. It would need a bunch more levels to justify repurchase, even at 20. Good news is however, that there is a SML2 remake in progress, in the form of a Super Mario world hack. There might be a SML1 hack being made too, but I don't know about that. Poke around Acmlm forums and you should find info about them perhaps.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
If these ever got re-released, they'd be Virtual Console games for $5 a piece with no enhancements.

Just wait until they get desperate when a few of their 1st-prty games slip away from their release dates, and you might see them.

See, I dunno. Portable games pre-GBA don't really work on televisions, especially with today's large screens. Putting a border around games like the SNES Gameboy adapter wouldn't really work either, since your average tv has gotten so big that people would just feel like they've thrown their money away on some stupid tiny black and white game that looks like shit.

A Virtual Console for the DS along with some kind of flash carts or something makes an infinite amount of sense to me though, I can't figure out why Nintendo isn't doing something like this yet. Maybe sell blank flash carts and subsidize some of the cost of VC downloads with them, so games all come out to like 3-4 bucks apiece tops. Even if my idea for the business end is crap, a VC for the DS for old portable games (if just GB/GBC, no idea how possible Lynx or GG games on DS hardware would be) makes a ton of sense.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo subsidise the costs of accessories or games? Surely, you can't be serious.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

kap wrote:
a VC for the DS... makes a ton of sense.

Which is why Nintendo will NEVER do it.

Proper online play would make sense. Actually developing a new plot for a game once in a while would make sense. Hell, a REAL Pokemon on a console would make unbelievable amounts of sense.

None of these things will ever happen.

Nintendo doesn't care about the customer. They never have. They never will. They started out as the Microsoft of gaming, behaviour-wise, and they still are.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
kap wrote:
a VC for the DS... makes a ton of sense.

Which is why Nintendo will NEVER do it.

Proper online play would make sense. Actually developing a new plot for a game once in a while would make sense. Hell, a REAL Pokemon on a console would make unbelievable amounts of sense.

None of these things will ever happen.

Nintendo doesn't care about the customer. They never have. They never will. They started out as the Microsoft of gaming, behaviour-wise, and they still are.

hahaha
fuck_that_noise

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

kap wrote:

See, I dunno. Portable games pre-GBA don't really work on televisions, especially with today's large screens. Putting a border around games like the SNES Gameboy adapter wouldn't really work either, since your average tv has gotten so big that people would just feel like they've thrown their money away on some stupid tiny black and white game that looks like shit.

I disagree. I have a big TV and I enjoy watching HD programming and anything formatted for widescreen. In that scenario I reap the benefits of my equipment, however when I am not watching stuff like that I want the bars on the side. I don't want it all stretched out and distorted.

I don't think anyone playing an old title, be it portable or not, on their nice new television is going to be confused by the fact that they are playing an old title. It used to look like shit then and it will look like shit now.

You can forgo getting into the head of the demographic that will pick up something archaic over what is hot and new, by just making it easy to acquire and easily playable, and the best way, currently, to do that is with a console and an internet connection.

Maybe the next big Nintendo portable will partner with cell phone providers and people will easily have internet access on their portable and be able to download games directly to the device from whatever library Nintendo wants to make available. Then just charge whoever wants to partake in this, a fee per game and now you have a way to cash in on your previous titles.

Who do you think you are Kap? What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime to bring this upon himself? You sicken me.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's your damn remake
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

fuck_that_noise wrote:
kap wrote:
I disagree. Blah blah blah!

Well, yeah, I agree with you. Bionic Commando looks like complete shit on my 65" tv, but that's what makes it so awesome. The b&w Gameboy game looks even worse, it's great.

But your average consumer won't have any interest in a portable game thrown up on a tv, because it'll look so bad just to start. They won't be confused about it, I think they're smart enough to realize what it's gonna look like up front. Shitty blown up graphics on a huge screen, it's a novelty they won't give a shit about after three minutes, if that.

Beyond that, the experience of the game is changing too. These games were created to be personal and portable, and throwing them on a huge tv changes that. I think Virtual Console games largely appeal to your sense of nostalgia, and a portable game then is meant to be a portable game now. Throwing Super Mario Land or whatever on a big screen kind of turns it into a different experience, for the worse.

(Of course games on the VC are also relevant to people for other reasons, maybe you never had a TG16 and really wanted to play Splatterhouse and were too stupid to emulate or whatever, but I think nostalgia is pretty key.)

(Not to mention you probably couldn't get away with playing Splatterhouse while your parents were around anyway.)

(Hey, lets not talk about how TG16 shit was portable in the first place, I don't feel like rethinking this and then retyping it. JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE. WHY DON'T I JUST USE THE GENESIS' TECHNO COP OR STORMLORD AS AN EXAMPLE? HUH? HUH? Stupid censorship bullshit.)

(Anyway.)

Anyway.

Dunno about cell phones either, since Nintendo likes to control the platform too. Maybe if Nintendo put out a cell phone, but then, they're a game company, so I wouldn't bet on that either. DS+flash card is the way to go, it just has to be made idiot proof first.

fuck_that_noise wrote:
Who do you think you are Kap? What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime to bring this upon himself? You sicken me.

I um
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I love (and by love I mean luv) the usage of parenthesis (<these>) kap)

(no really (no matter how sarcastic i may seem) i really (rly) do)

(srsly)
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
A Virtual Console for the DS along with some kind of flash carts or something makes an infinite amount of sense to me though, I can't figure out why Nintendo isn't doing something like this yet. Maybe sell blank flash carts and subsidize some of the cost of VC downloads with them, so games all come out to like 3-4 bucks apiece tops. Even if my idea for the business end is crap, a VC for the DS for old portable games (if just GB/GBC, no idea how possible Lynx or GG games on DS hardware would be) makes a ton of sense.

Perhaps they wouldn't even need a new cart, but use the system's own RAM (or possibly the expansion pack from the Opera browser) to store at least one game at a time while the system is turned on (like all those downloadable demos for the DS, or that NES Dr. Mario emulation for the GBA that came with a GCN demo disk).

That would be simple enough for Nintendo's standards.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Not likely. Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:

Perhaps they wouldn't even need a new cart, but use the system's own RAM (or possibly the expansion pack from the Opera browser) to store at least one game at a time while the system is turned on (like all those downloadable demos for the DS, or that NES Dr. Mario emulation for the GBA that came with a GCN demo disk).

That would be simple enough for Nintendo's standards.

That wasn't my quote, man.
fuck_that_noise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey kap,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree again. You're wrong, you've always been wrong, and I can't stand this charade continuing on anymore.

I've got a dick with a curve, and that's all you deserve.

In other news...

When I started formulating my opinions it was actually based on older games in general being played on a big tv. Playing old portable games on a big tv is for housewives and little girls.

My later point was just if you are Nintendo and you want to capitalize on your library, the easiest way to get that to the customer is through a console/tv scenario, since the portable is still on the "precipice of genesis"®.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'NANA DICK 'NANA DICK

I, yeah, stuff. Okay.

You know, I've seen way too many of your crew's dicks, now that I think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: