Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Air Fortress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Air Fortress Reply with quote

I just remembered something I'd been meaning to ask about.

I was reading somewhere that the JPN Air Fortress ROM is bigger than the US one... sure enough, the Famicom Air Fortress has a 128k CHR while the US version has only 32k.

Are there any differences? I downloaded the Famicom version, but all I noticed was that the text is a lot more Engrishy.
Blackjax
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the same to me... although I didn't open it in a tile editor or anything... possible overdump?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it is indeed different, but it's not really noticeable. Each fortress has its own separate tileset with different-looking blocks and whatnot. The team that localized the game did a really good job compressing the necessary graphics into the available space. The Japanese version, when opened in a tile editor, looks really sloppy and wasteful, like they knew they were never going to use all the extra space. There are several near-identical tilesets, an entire VROM bank filled with a picture of a planet or star (which I doubt was actually used), and a *lot* of empty space.

Other differences:
- The Engrish, obviously. LIGHTBRASNER, heheh...
- The Japanese version's second quest is accessed by inputting the passwords GYUW, AGOG, and OOON in order. I think the US version has a second quest, but it's not accessed the same way (I think it jumps straight there after you beat the game).
- The sound engine was tweaked for the US version. It sounds a lot cleaner to me.
- Music in the Japanese version was credited to "JUMPER KANAGUSHI," but it was changed to "ESCAPER KANAGUSHI" for the US version. Might have something to do with the sound engine cleanup, I dunno.
- The US ROM lacks the source code snippets the Japanese ROM used as padding.

Useless trivia for the day: the game and graphic design are both credited to Live Planning, one of the companies responsible for Zombie Nation. Hmmm.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool. I'll have to look more closely the next time I play. Thanks, BMF! The US version does have the second quest... Yeah, I think it does go right there after you beat the game, but there's a password also. Definitely not the same as the Japanese version though. Zombie Nation, eh... crazy... who would've thought??

That was a good theory though Blackjax, that does happen sometimes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: