Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

Turbo grafx 16 emulation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
rolan wrote:
is this just about magic "hey we dont own the rights but u have to pay anyway" engine or emulators in general?

The way you're whining about it, either 1) there would be no non-underground emulation because it would all be illegal or 2) you would have to pay for EVERYTHING because it would ALL have to be licensed with system manufacturers and/or game publishers. Fuck that.

What can all these tg16 emulators do that mednafen can't do anyway? It isn't exactly difficult to use, the command line isn't exactly the boogie man. And it's free, jesus christ.

I'm hardly whining about it... I'm just saying that I am fully aware that I'm ripping off games, but I can understand why games companies would get pissy about emulation if someone else is making money out of something that belongs to the companies. And I just dont think its magic engines place to charge.

Ive found a decent emulator now anyway, as a dedicated console gamer I know next to nothing about pcs so command lines like in mednafen just throw me. But hey, thanks for the info on emulators guys.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolan wrote:
And I just dont think its magic engines place to charge.

But...they made it! You don't think someone who writes software is allowed to charge money for it? Not everyone is your personal slave.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the gameboy emulator REW could play some Turbo-grafx games pretty well but you couldn't save states and it was only hu-cards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rolan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
rolan wrote:
And I just dont think its magic engines place to charge.

But...they made it! You don't think someone who writes software is allowed to charge money for it? Not everyone is your personal slave.

I know they made it and it's up to them to charge for it if they want to, I just disagree with them charging for emulating a console that isn't theirs. If it was NEC charging for an emulator that would be a different story altogether and i wouldnt mind paying them.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by your logic Photoshop should be free because they don't own the image formats that are most commonly edited.
rolan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could say that but in my opinion I think that’s pretty different as photoshop didn’t invent the photograph. whereas Nec and Hudson did invent the pc engine/ turbo 16.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, by your argument we wouldn't even have photoshop because Kodak, or whoever, would still be all like "Fuck off", to put it colloquially.
rolan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kap... yeah i can see your point actually given that logic... I could keep arguing saying that the patents to photography (if there ever were any) would have expired by now but that would be slightly redundant...

I personnally believe that videogames are umm a markedly different thing to photographs... i would go so far as to say fairly essential in the world we live in... whereas videogames are just entertainment for us all.

i can see where you are coming from and how you could say that magic engine is also keeping the memory of the pc-engine alive, but I personnally believe that people shouldn't be charged for emulators...

I understand that people put a lot of work into writing and producing them but it's essentially helping to preserve the history of the console for all time and this sounds retarded but really that should be it's own reward,

I mean Jesus who wouldnt be pretty pumped that in a 100 years the only way to play super mario world could be through the use of their emulator? ... if people want to charge then they can... just I personally won't pay them is all.

Whereas I would pay the company who actually invented the console in the first place... so basically I see your point, and its valid and I'm sure you know more about videogames and technical/copyright issues then me, but we could argue all day and go round in circles but you have your view and i have mine.
rolan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
I remember the gameboy emulator REW could play some Turbo-grafx games pretty well but you couldn't save states and it was only hu-cards.

that sounds kind of cool actually... thanks...
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't take kindly to commies 'n' Coors Light 'round these parts, mister. Les jest mosey on down to the new NES dumps thread 'n firgit the whole thang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: