Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

New NES dumps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malroth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, there's even a rock weapon in level 3 that wasn't in the final. Wonder why it was taken out?
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malroth, whats up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malroth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from enjoying this proto, not much.

Seems that they hadn't implemented the hairpull move yet, either. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

I also ran into a strange Abobo bug in the cavern scene. Kicked him just right so that he bounced through the wall, and just continued to bounce. Had to skip to the next level.
Tootai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Updated with a very nice Double Dragon proto.

Tootai, I mirrored all the PAL roms you've dumped on the old releases page. I noticed the links you posted at No-Intro, what's the deal with the "Hidden Content"? Did one of the mods do that?

Yeah, what Klarth said. For some reason the mods also require photos of the cartridges. I can't really understand why.

I'll send you that Double Dragon 2 proto soon to put up.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malroth wrote:
Seems that they hadn't implemented the hairpull move yet, either. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

I think the hair pull is in there, but I believe the experience requirement for it is different. I've noticed they tweaked how many hearts you need to use certain moves. It takes two hearts to get the jump kick in the proto, but three hearts in the final, for example.

Tootai wrote:
For some reason the mods also require photos of the cartridges. I can't really understand why.

I think a few of the upper ranking members of the No-Intro hierarchy are crazy obsessive-compulsive. I really respect the work they're doing, especially Yuki's FDS project, but sometimes it seems like they're so wrapped up with making rules like that to prevent people from uploading fake roms and otherwise abusing the project, that they've forgotten the point of what they set out to do in the first place.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with two new Famicom prototype dumps: 1943 and Chester Field. If any of you have an account at shmups.com, I'd really appreciate it if you could point the guys there to the 1943 proto.

Also, I know there's not much love for Chester Field, but give the game a shot if you have some time to kill. It's not an unbelievable game, but it's got a cool Faxanadu/Zelda 2 sort of vibe to it. Just hold off on attempting the shipwreck until you've powered up a bit, I think that's the part that turns off a lot of people. Gideon Zhi even made a translation patch for the retail version.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Skrybe.net broken ? (The domain)

I get one of those terrible default search pages when I try to access it (maybe it is my current location that is broken!)
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the domain expired, but I paid for another year's registration over a month ago. I'm not sure what's going on, let me get in touch with my hosting.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fixed now.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Also, I know there's not much love for Chester Field, but give the game a shot if you have some time to kill.

I've always liked Chester Field in a "hey, this would've been kinda fun back in 1987" way. Has anyone ever found a prototype of the unreleased North American version? Vic Tokai advertised the game in those old Nintendo Fun Club newsletters.

Also, why does Chester Field's title screen say "Episode II"?
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Chesterfield. There are a lot of hidden doors and items to find. I got stuck on the final boss, as I didn't have the correct item to defeat him, but the walkthrough on gamefaqs remedied that.

I never noticed the "Episode II" thing. There is probably an MSX game or something that precedes it. Or it is the sequel to Chesteracre.

Sorry.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I'd known about that walkthrough when I was playing the game earlier. Finding the way through some of those dungeons was brutal.

Kid Fenris wrote:
I've always liked Chester Field in a "hey, this would've been kinda fun back in 1987" way.

Yeah, that's it exactly.

No US protos of Chester Field have turned up that I know of, but there is an official localization for the C64, if you're into that kinda thing. The C64 also saw an English release of Aigina's Prophecy, another canceled Vic Tokai NES game.

I dunno what the deal is with "Episode II", but the game does have a pretty detailed backstory, in English no less, if you wait long enough at the title screen.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a sample version of Twinbee 3 for you guys today, courtesy of Frank.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no Jimmy battle, theres a fake exit in level 4 that leads you back to level 3. This double dragon proto is interesting. I think I remember reading about that fake exit in some nintendo strategy guide long ago. And it gave you a hint which exit to take. The final version both exits lead you forward.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know what strategy guide mentions that fake exit, if you can remember. That Double Dragon proto is an early build of the original Japanese game, so that'd be kinda strange if it was mentioned in a US publication.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember which, it wasn't one of those monthly published magazines tho.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted a prototype version of Ikinari Musician today.

Also, I should've posted this with the last update, but here's a scan of that Twinbee 3 proto from Frank.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Posted a prototype version of Ikinari Musician today.

Also, I should've posted this with the last update, but here's a scan of that Twinbee 3 proto from Frank.

Seems like a good game that should have been compatible with the miracle keyboard.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Double Dragon Proto
The rock weapon does appear in the final game, but its very easy to miss. All you need to is fall into the hole in the first cavern area where you have to jump over the moving platforms. It will lead you to a passage that takes you to the start of the level, where you face a couple of Ropers armed with the rock.

Still, the rock never appears in the first level of the third stage. I actually have a strategy guide for Family Computer Magazine that shows the rock in that area.

The most interesting difference I've noticed is the half-finished attract mode that was removed from the final game and the fact that the game sometime pits you against three enemies at once like Renegade instead of just two. That, and the multiple paths featured in some levels.

Anyone have a scan of the proto's cartridge?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Anyone have a scan of the proto's cartridge?

Here you go. Notice how they used a label from a VHS tape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: