Star Trek: SECRET OF VULCAN FURY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
Problem with private collectors is that they try to make money out of things they don't even legally own. That's not of much interest for me, since I want to make the games legally available on my website.

So you plan to purchase the game license from Interplay and pay huge royalties to whoever the hell owns Star Trek?
pcGTW_Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
So you plan to purchase the game license from Interplay and pay huge royalties to whoever the hell owns Star Trek?

Whatever would be required to make the game (and others) available for download legally. I wouldn't have to pay royalties, however, since those were payed by Interplay already.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Whatever would be required to make the game (and others) available for download legally. I wouldn't have to pay royalties, however, since those were payed by Interplay already.

Your grasp of licensing is not what it should be. Paramount would sue your ass off for releasing this. Interplay may have paid for licensing, but you are not Interplay, are you?
pcGTW_Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
Your grasp of licensing is not what it should be. Paramount would sue your ass off for releasing this. Interplay may have paid for licensing, but you are not Interplay, are you?

Er... you don't seem to understand the whole point of buying the rights to something. If I would buy the rights to the game, I would have all the rights that Interplay had back then. That would include the Star Trek license as well (only for that single game, of course).

Anyway, that goes off-topic. Let's not go into legal blah-blah.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:

Er... you don't seem to understand the whole point of buying the rights to something. If I would buy the rights to the game, I would have all the rights that Interplay had back then. That would include the Star Trek license as well (only for that single game, of course).

Anyway, that goes off-topic. Let's not go into legal blah-blah.

Wow, you live in a super fantasy world! How do you know Interplay "bought" the license for Star Trek, how do you know the deal wasn't for royalties? Furthermore, what makes you think that license is still valid?

Listen kid, speaking as someone who actually has some peripheral involvement with signing contracts for publishing legacy games, no individual can afford to make this game available legally. Besides which, how do you even know that it's stable enough to play?
pcGTW_Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how people always come with their own experience... I've already acquired the rights to a few unreleased games; that's a project I'm working on for three years now! So don't tell me I live in a "super fantasy world", it's not an idea I just came up with yesterday...

Quote:
Besides which, how do you even know that it's stable enough to play?

Because I've got a compiled build?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I honestly hope it works out, but be prepared to either dodge legal issues or be disappointed.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
Funny how people always come with their own experience...

You might want to take a look around here and see what some of the people you're chatting with actually do for a living, RedEye especially. We're not trying to discourage you, we're trying to point out reality. I told you exactly where you can go to find the final build of the game. That's about the best you can get.

There isn't anybody at interplay who can officially sanction you to release that game. When interplay shutdown, the rights reverted back to the original owner. Even if the former CEO of interplay sends you a letter saying you can release the game, you would still be in the wrong.

You have a playable build (i'm guessing the E3 build?), enjoy that and have fun playing it. Release it to the public if you'd like, but understand that you will never have the legal rights to distribute it.

Remember, you would need the rights for the Star Trek license across every country you plan to distribute it, since this is the internet... well, that's a lot of countries.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
Funny how people always come with their own experience...

You are lucky this thread is not about drinking cheap beer or collecting "Care Bear" memorabilia, or these guys would spew the most inane shit you've ever seen on a forum.

I'm a layman about the games industry and game programming, etc.
You may see this as some bragging rights thing.
Maybe you want to share and care, like the aforementioned bears.
But my take on this is simple:

Frank and the gang are pretty much offering advice, they have a lot of experience in the industry when they are sober.
Just listen to them, it might save you a fuckload of headaches.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:

Hmm... I'm thinking that, if that was true, Nintendo would have released Goldeneye or the Tetris games on the Wii's Virtual Console service by now (or any licensed game, for that matter) and they wouldn't have had to edit out all the names included in the old NFL license for Tecmo Bowl. Hell, even SEGA still hasn't released Revenge of Shinobi on the VC, possibly due to the (now expired) Spider-Man license they got back in the day.

It's true, however, that Konami did manage to release Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES, at a higher price than usual, after doing who knows what kind of negotiations with the current license holders (they didn't bother re-releasing any other TMNT game).
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Revenge of Shinobi was in Sega Smash Pack (Windows version, released 1999, which is still long after the original release), though I suppose the license could have expired.

And I can't find my CD right now to check.

(and Konami released the arcade TMNT for XBLA, though I'm sure that too was part of the deal that got the NES TMNT released. And no doubt as part of the promotion for the movie.)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
(and Konami released the arcade TMNT for XBLA

Nope, that was Ubisoft releasing a Konami arcade game, which makes the licensing a really huge clusterfuck.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Nope, that was Ubisoft releasing a Konami arcade game, which makes the licensing a really huge clusterfuck.

And yet, still, no one could ever be arsed to put the old Simpsons arcade game - possibly the only good Simpsons video game ever - on a console. I just don't get it.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
KingMike wrote:

And yet, still, no one could ever be arsed to put the old Simpsons arcade game - possibly the only good Simpsons video game ever - on a console. I just don't get it.

just hold your horses on that one...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Given that TMNT was the most downloaded Live Arcade game of 2007, I would imagine that EA is working something out for The Simpsons.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
KingMike wrote:

I like Hit & Run.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Given that TMNT was the most downloaded Live Arcade game of 2007, I would imagine that EA is working something out for The Simpsons.

ProgrammingAce wrote:

just hold your horses on that one...
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am equine-deficient.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I am equine-deficient.

Sometimes you make me feel like dancing.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I like Hit & Run.

I second this. So many references, and the gameplay was halfway decent, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: