Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

Nintendo World Championships NWC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hudini16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Nintendo World Championships NWC Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for anyone that has a grey or gold NWC cart. I am compiling a database of all the NWC carts out there.

I already have about twenty that I know about, so if you have one or you have friends that have one, please get in touch.

It has been said that there are only around 120 of these about, but there has been speculation that that the number is more likely in the 300's, so there are quite a few out there that nobody knows about.

Thanks,
Jack
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuyAtari has one on ebay, or at least did. It was a gold one.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Nintendo World Championships NWC Reply with quote

hudini16 wrote:
I am compiling a database of all the NWC carts out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these things have decent value. I understand and appreciate the desire to catalog these things from a preservation angle, but don't you think that some of the owners of these carts might not want it to be public knowledge that they own something that carries value? Being on such a list could make an individual a target of people seeking to obtain one of these cartridges. Would you be comfortable if complete strangers had documented that you owned something of value, and you didn't know who had access to that information or that that information was even being documented to begin with? It seems a little wrong.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nintendo World Championships NWC Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
hudini16 wrote:
I am compiling a database of all the NWC carts out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these things have decent value. I understand and appreciate the desire to catalog these things from a preservation angle, but don't you think that some of the owners of these carts might not want it to be public knowledge that they own something that carries value? Being on such a list could make an individual a target of people seeking to obtain one of these cartridges. Would you be comfortable if complete strangers had documented that you owned something of value, and you didn't know who had access to that information or that that information was even being documented to begin with? It seems a little wrong.

Let's get him! Twisted Evil
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, let's track down that Guido dude!
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these things have decent value.

Ok, you're wrong. Wink

My goal of tracking down these carts is actually to preserve the values of the carts for everyone. If we can figure out what serial numbers exist and photograph them they are even harder to duplicate. Sooner or later some dickhead is going to figure out a way to make a good copy and try to make big money off of it. I aim to prevent that from happening by having a record of where each cart is and has been. Also, for the golds, knowing who the owners are allows us to minimize this risk. As of now, 12 are known in collectors hands. The other 14 are missing. Only 10 have been photographed.

From a historical persective, it is good to know the trail of owners behind each cart, whenever possible. From a collector's perspective, sometimes the story behind an item, whether it be art, comic books, coins, or videogames, knowing the trail of people the item's been through and the stories behind it can potentially raises the value. Ask anyone on Antiques Roadshow.

So in all, tracking down these carts is about historical preservation, fraud protection, and potentially raising the awareness of their existence, which helps us track them down quicker (and draws pranksters out, yes, I know).

No one is going to rob someone's house for an NWC cart. If they try to resell it, it's documented by people like me! We'd get 'em busted! Shit, if your collections are anything like mine, and 90% of other NWC cart owners, no robber would know where to even start to find that one item.

-Rob
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but couldn't that make the owners of Gold cartridges likely targets for some kind of robbery? I mean, I don't know how likely that would be to happen, but someone could be looking for a gold cart and decide to go after one since they got the name and address of the owners?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamTR used to make counterfit NWC gold carts in his basement. These days he just sticks to coding up and selling fake betas...
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolz. That wily old DreamTR. Cooking up t3h romzorz and meth in his basement.

If you're rich enough to afford a Gold NWC (unless you just found it on the cheap ala DreamtTR), I would think you'd be rich enough to hide the damn thing well.

No one is going to get robbed over an NWC. If the cart is documented well enough, it will be impossible to resell without getting caught.

-Rob
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
No one is going to get robbed over an NWC. If the cart is documented well enough, it will be impossible to resell without getting caught.

Or you could just do what we did when we were kids and scribble your name on the cartridge with a magic marker.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just let me and the rest of the world know the location that you're keeping a given item-of-greater-than-10k value, and you can trust that you'll be all good b/c your personal location and the location of your said-valued-property is well documented.

I would not want my personal information to be included on that kind of list, regardless of the type of item or the likelihood of it being stolen. Plus, we all know that all video game collectors are the most level-headed of people, and it's completely infeasible that any of them could be disturbed enough to try and resort to whatever means necessary to procure something that they must have. No thanks.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
Well, just let me and the rest of the world know the location that you're keeping a given item-of-greater-than-10k value

In my driveway.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying the whole world should know the exact locations. However, have you ever heard of a great museum painting or other work where the entire chain of owners wasn't documented thoroughly? The chain of ownership on expensive historical items must be preserved. NWC carts are no exception. Like it or not, these are historical items and the chain of ownership should be preserved as well as it possibly can.

-Rob
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to know who owns what, but I don't really see the need to include location information. I don't see the harm in a list of who-owns-what, but any location information needs to be kept private.

I can understand why you want this knowledge available and out there, but you have to remember, these are people. They aren't museums or corporations or whatever, they're people who collect things. The things may be rare and hold value to you, but they're private individuals, and databasing every last detail about someone and making it available to everyone is wrong on a privacy level.

I have a handful if prototypes and I'm happy to own them. While I'm not out there screaming from the hills that I've got them, I understand people are going to know that I do have them; people talk about shit, especially about who owns what, blah blah blah. That's natural. Nobody needs to know where I live, however - that's nobody's business but my own.
nekta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but I'm in the UK. If I see you I will shoot you.

Thats the way it's done round here. But I will give you some bandages before the ambulance turns up so cheer up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: