Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:42 pm

One more reason for the push for 64DD emulation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: One more reason for the push for 64DD emulation Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdB2p3CHWw

I can't believe it, Nintendo had the concept a few years before Warioware!
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The similarities do indeed seem to be uncanny. I'd hazard a guess and say that at least some of the people from the Polygon Studio team worked on the WarioWare/Made in Wario series later, especially since some of the minigames in the video appear to be very similar.

Having said that, I still stand by my general position with regards to 64DD emulation. It's certainly possible and as much as a few people may want it, again, the demand isn't exactly there from the rest of the Internet. It's really a basic supply and demand thing here. On top of that, the F-Zero X expansion's main feature became the inspiration for a track editor which was released a while back. Doshin the Giant has since been released on the GameCube in Europe and Japan. Other such projects which started on the add-on ultimately wound up moving elsewhere. A lot of the main ideas which stem from the DD have been transplanted into other areas in a much more accessible manner (read: no gobs and gobs of money required for these later versions). The few that really haven't, such as the Mario Artist games, have basically been one-hit wonders that your average emulation user either hasn't heard about or simply doesn't care.

That isn't to say that I'm not all for it and, indeed, I expect support to happen sometime in the future. But when considering that N64 emulation in general still has issues which need to be addressed (apparently there are still too many shortcuts taken to get them to "work"), I'd much rather have regular N64 emulation refined much more right now rather than having resources diverted towards an add-on that flopped horribly. Being involved in too many areas at once has the potential to derail quality.

Maybe you'll find someone willing to do it and if you do, more power to you. But I think you might as well just code your own DD emulator because I'm pretty certain you'll otherwise be waiting a long while. That, or like what has been suggested in the past, bypass the wait and just get one of the units yourself.
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link to the video. That is very interesting. I always thought Wario Ware was an original idea. I would love to see N64DD emulation soon as well but I also agree with thnikkaman_lackey and that much more needs to be done to n64 emulation beforehand. It sucks to see less and less people dedicated to emulation these days. But It does seems as though fan translations for japanese games has gone up in 2007 compared to 2005 and 2006. Hopefully 2008 will see more people dedicated to emulation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
midget35

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until yesterday neomerge: i'd have agreed.

But as of yesterday there is:
1. the new drive to fix MAME bugs
2. Discrete logistics emulation
3. mooglyguy's continued joy with n64 emulation

... yesterday was quietly one of the biggest days in emulation history and no one saw it!
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget35 wrote:
Up until yesterday neomerge: i'd have agreed.

But as of yesterday there is:
1. the new drive to fix MAME bugs
2. Discrete logistics emulation
3. mooglyguy's continued joy with n64 emulation

... yesterday was quietly one of the biggest days in emulation history and no one saw it!

What emulation website do you go to? The only site I go to daily is romhacking.net and thats more of a hacks and translation site.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
midget35

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=news&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=
etabeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, iirc, 64DD emulation was mainly waiting for a dump of the internal roms of the main unit, more than anything else.

no way to emulate it if you don't know what it is expected to do...
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that all the work of developing an emulator will be for a mere 9 games.
etabeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also programmer that would try to emulate it only for the challenge of understanding the hardware, despite playability or the existence of good games...
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the guy you want to talk to...

http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I stand corrected, then. I had heard about a PSP emulator which was being developed with the DD in mind, but it had been presumed to be dead when I finally caught wind of it. I don't know if that's the same emulator as Monkey64, but either way, it's interesting to actually see some work being done on the add-on, especially considering that the target platform isn't a PC. Maybe those DD dumps will finally get a bit of use after all?
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so they dd emulator is gona be for psp instead? i wanted to have the option to play it on my pc.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly not sure it'll be released at all, last time i talked to monkey (which was a loooong time ago) he said his current employer wasn't too fond of his PSP escapades. Having dealt with his employer, i'm not surprised.
etabeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the page isn't accessible from my end (is it down?), I'd like to know if he states he has dumped the thing or not (maybe is trying to HLE the 64DD like the N64 has been until few months ago)... I know for sure that this guy

http://www.moogle-tech.com/n64.html

would be interested in any good dump from the bios...
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author of pSX has stated that he has some level of interest in eventually doing an N64 emulator similar to his PSX emulator. I do not know if he also would eventually want to do 64DD emulation.

But he also stated that he wouldn't get started until pSX is further along in development, so don't pester him about it.
Druid II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
The author of pSX has stated that he has some level of interest in eventually doing an N64 emulator similar to his PSX emulator. I do not know if he also would eventually want to do 64DD emulation.

But he also stated that he wouldn't get started until pSX is further along in development, so don't pester him about it.

never mind 64dd emulation, this would get us proper n64 emulation even.
etabeta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESS is already on the good road, but it will need a lot of optimization [1] before giving something playable, in addition to accuracy

anyway, what I like is that MAME/MESS release their source code which can be used as reference for other emulators (e.g. the brand new N64 LLE plugin called z64 and released last april after Ville Linde [2] and MooglyGuy progress)

[1] and the optimization will come... MAME/MESS has improved a lot in these 3 months on emulation of polygonal hw: now if you have a dual core you can play quite well to Gauntlet Legends which was a sequence of wallpapers last summer Wink
so I'm positive on this side

[2] did anyone remember his Project Tempest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: