Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm

Final Fantasy VII Famicon Pirate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Waixing is back!

Back in my JAPAN days I was working on a Waixing page with a collection of all of their releases that I could find, originals, and hacks. They've done some impressive stuff!
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by MathUser2929 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113598

They're talking about it there too. Holy crap! How can we get a hold of these!

BTW, I noticed at least one of those games had a 1993 copyright screen on it. Also, at least one had Sachen on the title screen, not that that's super surprising.

-Rob
Boco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
The others I couldn't figure out

I took screenshots and tracked down as much as I could about each game (some of them were on this Japanese site).. I couldn't get one of them to work, but:

Gu Mu Li Ying
This game seems to be a port of Tomb Raider. There's some more screenshots and a review on this Japanese site.

He Xin Wei Ji
This is the same as the infamous FF7, but with a different title screen. It's also featured on that site.

Commandos
This is a stealth action game where you choose a mission and then attempt to complete it without alerting the guards. Fun but kind of slow.

Dragon Quest VIII
It claims to be Dragon Quest VIII but I didn't play it enough to verify. Apparently the main character is Musashi from Square's Brave Fencer Musashiden though. You can see more of the game at the Japanese site.

Fan Kong Jing Ying
This seems to be a port of Grandia, or at least to share the same characters. And there's another version with the Grandia name, too.

Jue Dai Ying Xiong
This one looks a lot like a Super Robot Taisen game, but it's definitely NOT the one that was actually released on Famicom, and there's no story mode. Maybe it's a port of some other game, or an original title? Anyway it has Gundam characters in it (obviously).

Lin Xe Zu Jin Yan
A wuxia-themed RPG,, this game is really beautiful. I reccomend highly you try it, as the sheer amount of detail put into it is amazing. But, since I can't read Chinese, I can't figure out how to progress in the game.

Mei Guo Fu Hao
A Monopoly-esque party game. I didn't bother playing it for long, but you buy and sell stuff and people pay each other for tresspassing and the whole thing.

Meng Huan
Another wuxia RPG. This one has really pretty and detailed animation in a Prince of Persia style. But the battles are tough so I didn't play it long.

Mo Jie Ta Shi (Makai Toushi)
While that IS a picture of Cloud, this is actually a fully-playable full-featured port of a different Squaresoft title, namely SaGa 3 on the Gameboy. It's titled Makai Toushi for some reason (qhich was the name of SaGa 1), but it's SaGa 3, now in color and with a larger screen, yay. The whole game's there from start to end with nothing missing that I could see. Some more screenshots on the Japanese site, and there's also a few videos on Youtube.

San Guo Zhong Lie Zhuan
A Three Kingdoms RPG with tactical combat and rather detailed cutscenes. Not as good as Capcom's Three Kingdoms RPGs, but still interesting.

Shang Gu Shen Jian
A superdeformed tactics game with Three Kingdoms characters. I don't know how to play it very well but doesn't it seem unfair to have the first level pit you with 3 units against 8 units? And if any of your 3 die, you get game over? At least the game over screen is entertaining.

Shen Tan Ke Nan
This is a Chinese version of the Japanese game 'Akagawa Jirou no Yuurei Ressha'. It's an adventure game based on a detective/mystery novel. More about the Chinese version here, or you can see screens from the Japanese version.

Si Lu Chuan Qi
Yet another Three Kingdoms RPG. There's nothing special about this one.

Wang Zi Fu Chou Ji
Another Three Kingdoms game, but this one is a party game like Mario Party. Seems like fun, but remember to bring friends.

Xi Tian Qu Jing II
An original Journey to the West platformer. You can play as Gokuu, Hakkai, or Sagojo, which each play differently. Definitely worth trying.

Xing He Zhan Shi

Xing Ji Zheng Ba

Xing Zhan Qing Yuan
These 'three' games are all the same port of Phantasy Star IV to the NES. They seem to have been released at different stages of development, with the Xing Zhan Qing Yuan version having a lot more features and better art and music. I didn't play far enough to see how much of Phantasy Star IV is actually there...

Ying Xiong Chuan Qi
That's the logo from Final Fantasy XI, but this is actually just a Chinese version of Final Fantasy III. It's in full Chinese which is a feat, but the text routine to print the (much, much) larger character set takes longer than the Japanese one, so whenever text appears (like, all the time in battle) there's a frame of lag. It wouldn't be so noticable but it makes the music skip. Just play the Japanese version and forget about this one.

Ying Xiong Yuan Yi Chuan Qi
This is a Chinese version of the Japanese version of Dragon Quest 1. There's not much else to say, but if you want more screens you can look on the Japanese site.

You Ling Xing Dong
Some RPG I didn't play for very long. The coolest feature by far is that it lets you input a 4-character name for your main character, which you can choose Chinese characters for from a list, or you can draw your own:
So I made one for me and one at the request of a friend of mine . But I don't know how the game actually plays.

Zhan Guo Wu Shang
This looks like a clone of Koei's 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' series of strategy games. I didn't play it enough to see which one it was, or if it was an original. But the intro animation, with the horse? it's really really pretty.

Zu Qiu Xiao Jiang
This is a Chinese version of 'Captain Tsubasa vol. II - Super Striker' from the Captain Tsubasa series. It's a good game, but you should probably just play the Japanese version.
etabeta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of good info. thanks!
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link KingMike.

Shang Gu Shen Jian - I remember Li Wang, Blitzwing, and I played this game several years ago. Its actually kind of fun once you get past the first battle. Its been a long time, but I remember that your units have the ability to heal themselves. Its one of the commands.

I remember the AI in the game is not all that smart, downright stupid in some cases. Like bosses never leaving their spots. You can exploit this by having your characters attack, then retreat to heal, and come back when their HP is full.

I may have to give this game another go soon.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
Since it's Waixing, I bet this is new and not the fabled probably nonexistant Zelda 3 NES pirate we were all lusting after for the past decade, but still cool.

it still could be - the original version (if it existed) would most likely have come from a Taiwanese company, so the text would have probably been in Traditional Chinese. Waixing might have just "translated" it to Simplified Chinese and released it for the mainland China market - I think they've done that with a couple of other Taiwan releases.

but that's just a theory. probably won't know for sure until either the ROM of the Waixing version surfaces, or maybe if rinkaku posts a video on youtube - you'd probably be able to tell from the sound, waixing original games usually have that trademark crappy sound engine going on.

edit: and something else i found, also from the makers of that FF7 (i think):
pokemon! and six different versions of pokemon, at that. presumably they all use the same engine (if they're even different at all)...or they might all just be pirates of various other pirates. but the yellow version shown in the screenshots looks like a new one, at least, and it looks a bit better than the currently dumped pirate pokemon RPGs.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't all this talk of the other pirates be moved to my other thread?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
neomerge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot then it would break the tradition of going off topic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's "off topic". Conversations naturally expand into various areas, and personally I think it's really anal if forum moderators demand that these conversations be broken up into new threads when this happens. I was a bit confused as to why you started a new topic with information that was just copied from this one. Don't worry so much about supposed "rules" for posting on forums - aside, perhaps, from Sardius' old #1: Don't Be Stupid.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boco wrote:
Gu Mu Li Ying
This game seems to be a port of Tomb Raider. There's some more screenshots and a review on this Japanese site.

Is this a port, or an original? 5 minutes of reading Wikipedia and random TR fansites doesn't turn up anything that looks like a source game. The GBC games appear to be side-view platformers or somesuch. The GBA games look closer to this perspective, but other than that my quickie research doesn't really confirm anything.
neomerge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I don't think it's "off topic". Conversations naturally expand into various areas, and personally I think it's really anal if forum moderators demand that these conversations be broken up into new threads when this happens. I was a bit confused as to why you started a new topic with information that was just copied from this one. Don't worry so much about supposed "rules" for posting on forums - aside, perhaps, from Sardius' old #1: Don't Be Stupid.

Sorry when I made the other thread I didn't realize everyone already had started talking about other pirates.
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome write up Boco. Very interesting that they ported over SaGa 3 on FC and added color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlabasterGothe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge: Thanks for that FF7 ROM, you just made my night. I'm gonna play it a bit before hitting the bed. ^^'
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIRATE FUCKING ZELDA
(okay, that is very old)
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://virtuanes.s1.xrea.com/bin/virtuanes086ae.zip

take the .vlp from this file and rename it ch and use that with your chinese emulator to change the language to english.

That minish cap sucks, I couldnt find a battle, but I bet it's like final fantasy or something. The waixing Zelda looks way better.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlabasterGothe wrote:
neomerge: Thanks for that FF7 ROM, you just made my night. I'm gonna play it a bit before hitting the bed. ^^'

No problem. Thanks for thanking me.
Gil-Galad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a list of all the Famicom Southern Crystal Technology ROMs that I currently possess and have been able to locate. As far as I know, these games have the ID printed right on the front cart lable, NJ(number) for example. According to what some of the Chinese sites are saying, I maybe have a little over half of those that are floating around somewhere, unless I am not understanding what they are saying (due in part to online translators).

I decided to make the list, because I've been trying to track down the ROMs for NSFs. I done the best that I could to be accurate with this list. Browsing Chinese sites is not an easy task.

Perhaps you guys can use this list for reference and make any additions to it. If I find any more ROMs from this set, I will update it.

[NJ004] Kou Dai Bao Shi - Yin
[NJ011] Harvest Moon
[NJ013] Han Liu Bang
[NJ016] Tai Kong Huan Xiang
[NJ017] Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan
[NJ018] San Guo Zhi - CaoCao Zhuan
[NJ019] Shui Hu Shen Shou
[NJ020] Huang Jin Tai Yang
[NJ022] Saint Saiya - Tian Ma Huan Xiang
[NJ023] Liang Shan Ying Xiong
[NJ029] Qi Guo Da Zhan
[NJ030] Sui Tang Ying Xiong
[NJ031] Jin Yong Qun Xia Zhuan
[NJ032] Yu-Gi-Oh
[NJ033] Samurai Spirits 2
[NJ034] Huan Shi Lu
[NJ036] Ne Zha Chuan Qi
[NJ037] Diablo
[NJ039] Hu Lu Jin Gang
[NJ046] Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo
[NJ047] San Guo Wu Shuang - Meng Jiang Zhuan
[NJ048] Titanic
[NJ049] The Hacker
[NJ056] Zelda - Shen Qi De Mao Zi
[NJ057] Mo Jie Ta Shi
[NJ063] Final Fantasy VII
[NJ065] Zui You Ji Zhi Tang San Zang
[NJ066] Gu Mu Li Ying
[NJ069] Tang Bo Hu Dian Qiu Xiang
[NJ072] Feng Yin Dao
[NJ075] He Xin Wei Ji
[NJ076] Meng Huan Sha Lou
[NJ079] Mo Jie Ba Zhu
Lindblum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Translation Reply with quote

I've put some good work into making an English translation patch for this so far. If you have any questions or want to help out just come to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: