Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Pataank / Ballz Director's Cut 3DO beta dumping help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Pataank / Ballz Director's Cut 3DO beta dumping help Reply with quote

So uh, never thought I'd post here again, but... most everyone at Digital Press knows I have some weird luck when it comes to finding rare stuff where I live.

I found some 3DO beta software last weekend, and I would like to have it dumped.

I know, it's the 3DO, and nobody fucking cares about the 3DO. But anyway. This lot includes:

Picture 1:
CD-R with "3DO FEUD / GAMETEK" written on it
CD-R with "PATAANK Stream Only 7-30-94" written on it
CD-R with "Ballz 3DO 2-14-95 Test Disc Only No Audio Internal Use Only 7:10 pm"
CD-R with "PC Ballzout - Toonz Project - Master - Brad.zip 9/6/95" (This CD has source code and stuff in it.)

Picture 2:
"Ballz The Director's Cut Test Copy #1 of 6 7/14/95 21:18"
"Pataank Streams 7-20-94"
"Pataank V 8.2d1 5-10-94 Disaster Room Video Streams"
Ballz The Director's Cut Demo Disk CDR 3-31-95 (inserts include instructions for debug stuff, I think - see notes below)
"PC Ballz Project (Compact Vers) 11/1/95" (CD is in ISO format, contains lots of source code)

Also included int he package were:
Ballz The Director's Cut retail disc
3DO Dev Sym III Session Slides (CD is in Apple format, no idea what it contains)
Pataank Soundtrack CD

The two source code CDs have a ton of tools, but I have no idea whether or not they're compilable. There's makefiles at least, they might give some clues. These are OLD CD-Rs so who knows how well they will work. One of these had some notes the programmer left to himself, kinda cool in my opinion.

Also, about that Demo Disk - that CD had a business card for a "Les D. Hedger" stuck on top of the front insert for the CD case. The name checks out as being employed by PF Magic in those days, at least according to MobyGames.

I can probably dump the two source code disks but the others are probably encrypted somehow. Isobuster says that there's data, but it doesn't recognize the file system. I haven't checked out ALL the discs due to lack of time and some computer issues I've been having, so.

If anyone wishes to dump these, let me know.

(And don't mind the watermark.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find. I bet that 3DO Dev Sym III Session Slides could some how help people with perfecting the 3DO emulators.

I need to get that game Ballz for my 3DO. The name makes it worth it alone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interrested in hearing what the ballz beta would be like.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I like you. You've got balls. I like balls."

I dunno, somehow i've been quoting this movie all night long...
man_traic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET BLUE BALLS

seriously, speak to drx, he tackled a similar project recently
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BALLS OF STEEL

I have no idea who that is. :P
Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy who runs this site:

http://www.hidden-palace.org/

He recently dumped a metric asston of Sega prototypes. He also posts around here sometimes, I think.
etabeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good finding Kitsune. hope you can manage to dump most of them Smile

neomerge wrote:
Great find. I bet that 3DO Dev Sym III Session Slides could some how help people with perfecting the 3DO emulators.

funny, considered there is no 3DO emulator at this time (FreeDO was HLE, to be generous [1], and it's dead & closed source; MESS has only a skeleton driver written by judge, but he's busy right now and no progress are expected)

but I agree: it would be really nice if it helps to finally write a 3DO emulator Smile

[1] it only emulated 3do's OS calls to run the games on the PC, instead of emulating CPU & components of the console
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashura wrote:
Guy who runs this site:

He recently dumped a metric asston of Sega prototypes. He also posts around here sometimes, I think.

Is your avatar Popful Mail? One of the most awesome games ever? =P

Anywho, those 3DO games/tools NEED to be preserved, and I think just about anyone with good CD tools should be able to get them. If you can't rip them, I am sure there's a dozen or so folks around here who can easily.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
Ashura wrote:
Guy who runs this site:

Anywho, those 3DO games/tools NEED to be preserved, and I think just about anyone with good CD tools should be able to get them. If you can't rip them, I am sure there's a dozen or so folks around here who can easily.

Oh, the guy who posted all those protos? I didn't know his name, I'll try to get in touch with him.

Pachuka:
The problem with these discs is that as far as I know, no commercially available tools can dump these. Now, maybe someone can cook up a utility to dump them, especially considering that TOSEC's already dumped several retail 3DO games. Maybe there's some sort of technique I'm not aware of. But I'm not a leet dumper, I'm just a flippin' English/Spanish translator. :p

Wonder if TOSEC's got some sort of tutorial around...
drav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just joined up to share some info on how to dump these games. You need to download CDRWIN you can get that here http://www.goldenhawk.com/ (trial version only) but I don't think you need to purchase it to rip the disks also you need ASPI drivers installed on XP I use ForceASPI (google it) as it seems to actually work. The process to rip is quite simple just click the third option on the top, if you hover over it, it will say Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors. Select your recorder underneath pick a place to save call it whatever.bin then hit start as long as the discs are in good condition it should rip fine. If you want to convert the image into an ISO you can use the ancient but useful binChunker (again Google it) but the only point of that is to use a tool I found to extract the files out of the ISO.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drav wrote:
Ok I just joined up to share some info on how to dump these games. You need to download CDRWIN you can get that here http://www.goldenhawk.com/ (trial version only) but I don't think you need to purchase it to rip the disks also you need ASPI drivers installed on XP I use ForceASPI (google it) as it seems to actually work. The process to rip is quite simple just click the third option on the top, if you hover over it, it will say Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors. Select your recorder underneath pick a place to save call it whatever.bin then hit start as long as the discs are in good condition it should rip fine. If you want to convert the image into an ISO you can use the ancient but useful binChunker (again Google it) but the only point of that is to use a tool I found to extract the files out of the ISO.

... that's it? Really? Well fuck, I think I can do that. However, uploading is another matter, my stupid ISP limits my upload speeds to 16kbps -on a good day-. I need someone to distribute this.

Any takers?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for someone to rip, and then spread the files, i can help you out.

I have a method where a couple hundred gigabytes of "stuff" is going to make it out in the next few weeks...
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to burn me copies of em or something and mail em my way I can upload them or if they are smaller images you can send them my way digitally and we can put em up on some file sharing system from there. whatever is easier
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can rip these, I can send ISO files in DVD copies to whoever wants them so they can be distributed quickly. Gimme a couple of days to try to rip them first.

And if someone wants the real CDs for their own collection, let me know too. ;p

What I'd really like to see, though, is a comparison of these betas to the retail version... we've got to find someone with a debug 3DO system so he or she can do a comparison!
drav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy to spread these ISOs around plus I still have a 3DO to mess around with them also that Dev CD it can be used with Basilisk II Mac Emu. There were some other 3DO Dev Kit Software posted on a newsgroup a few years ago but I missed my chance to get them.
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of these betas happen to actually be Wizard Knights, let me know
Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:

Yes, indeed it is. I think the art is from promotional stuff for the PC98 version. I actually have a better flyer with the same art on it (this is from Nihon Falcom's homepage circa 1990-something, actually) and need to scan it.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spoke to drx over private messages and he's agreed to both dump and release these games on his own, as well as purchase them from me. I'll be sending them off next Monday, so keep an eye on his site for more news. :)
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Well I spoke to drx over private messages and he's agreed to both dump and release these games on his own, as well as purchase them from me. I'll be sending them off next Monday, so keep an eye on his site for more news. Smile

Great! Glad to hear, man. But please please please... "'Dump' ROMs and 'rip' discs images." *sighs*

Homie don't play Dreamcast ROMs. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: