Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

preview pics of released & unreleased MD/Genesis games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: preview pics of released & unreleased MD/Genesis games Reply with quote

First preview of Strider when it was 6-meg (and Sonic), released, released

Macress - ?? became Saint Sword ??

Battle Mission - unreleased

Land Buster, Vette - unreleased, unreleased

Shadow Dancer - released but with different title screen

Dando (aka Vasum) - unreleased

Moon Dancer - unreleased

Joe Montana - unreleased (this version was horizontally scrolling and never came out)

Thunder Force III - released (first preview)

Hard Yardage - unreleased

Curse - released (only in Japan)

Spiderman ?? different title screen from released version ??

Blue Almanac - released in Japan only - was to be Star Odyssey in the west

F-15 Strike Eagle II - I remember it was shown in early 1990. There was video of it at Toys R US! This preview is from mid 1990. I don't think this version came out, or at least not anytime that year or the following year. F-15 Strike Eagle II for Genesis seemed to disappear off the radar like Vette! but then in 1993 the game (perhaps the real Genesis port not footage of the computer version) showed up and was released.

Last edited by parallaxscroll on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:27 pm; edited 6 times in total
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it warms my heart to see unreleased sports games, may they suffer from bitrot swiftly and without mercy..

Those old egm buyer guides were a treasure trove of unreleased screenshots
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Macress is Saint Sword.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice list you've got going here. If any of the other forum members have scans they can add, please do.
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
I'm pretty sure Macress is Saint Sword.

You know what, I started to suspect that this evening as I was reading the preview, but I wasn't sure so I held my tounge until someone else said it.
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Vette (or rather Vette!) is based on this.

Last edited by GDRI on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
'Vette (or rather Vette!) is based on this.

Yep, I know Vette! was originally on PC, and actually it was released for several computer formats, well at least one other, Amiga.
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Yardage probably wasn't released because of Activision/Mediagenic's financial problems (but at least they found a publisher for Slaughter Sport!).

There's some unreleased stuff mentioned in ye olde Usenet post.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some more neat scanned articles across this topic. (Hey, I got mentioned in there)
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Li Wang that gave me this image. As you can see, Technos' Genesis Popeye game was not going to be just a port of the Snes one, but a completely new title. Looks like it would've been a point and click adventure game.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this, but I asked Shouichi Yoshikawa about Macress (Cyclone System, which he worked for briefly, supposedly did Saint Sword). He said it was "the middle-of-making version of Sigma's Shiten Myouou [Shadow Blasters]." The part about transforming into four different characters now makes total sense. They must have just recycled the old Macress title screen for Saint Sword. You'll get to read his whole answer whenever the hell our interview goes up on GDRI.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that Popeye image was from a bunch I scanned in awhile back. I don't have any of the other on this computer. Feel free to post any of them.

Dando looks like the most interesting one of this lot. I know we had another thread with a scan of it somewhere, but these new screenshots have piqued my interest. I'm wondering if they were just taken from a video demo at a trade show since there are two slightly differing screenshots of that map screen.

And boy, it would be hard not to love the writing in old school Sendai publications. I'd sure like to play a "graphic/text adventure" in which you "BLAST YOUR WAY ACROSS THE GALAXY IN FIVE LEVELS OF HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL SCROLL". It's almost like they just used mad libs to write their previews.

Come to think of it, I remember scanning a particularly well-written preview for B-Bomb. Do you have that one, Arn?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there it is. The description for that game is interesting to say the least.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when we met some years ago, the game's graphic artist told me that the "B" was really supposed to stand for "butt", due to the mentioned attack.

He also told me that some of the game's graphics were based on the concept art for an unused Sonic 2 level he had been assigned (Cyber City), and were later reused for the Machine level in Sonic Spinball.
neomerge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Battle Mission game looks awesome!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshikawa-san's corrected himself. Macress is Saint Sword (he did one of the stage maps, BTW).
RahanAkero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Somethin' I noticed, doing a bit of google-searching. Reply with quote

And I came up with some more moon-dancer stuff.

Full Japanese title: ムーンダンサー 妖精王の帰還 (Moon Dancer - Yousei-ou no Kika)
Developed by Beep? http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~t-suzuki/sousyuhen/so_be_mega02.htm
This website's got a full screenshot of the title screen, so... yeah. 1989 SEGA/BEEP. Accordin' to my lack of fluency and excite.co.jp's translator, it says...

"Beep" Serial that chases process from which the second "The fairy king return" of RPG novel "Moon dancer" serialized in the magazine is made game at any time.
However, it is not put on the market after all, and the serial is discontinuance (Gactsu) in the game.

If I'm readin' that right, it's actually based off of a series of serial novels, which would kinda make sense, seeing as when I searched for "妖精王の帰還", I got a lot of book covers. I'll see if I can get a better translation from a friend that actually is literate.

EDIT for the whole bloody title, instead of just the kanji.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Beep was a magazine (that whole page is about "Beep Megadrive") - judging from the translation i'd say the original novel was serialised in that, hence the copyright.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

I think it was Li Wang that gave me this image. As you can see, Technos' Genesis Popeye game was not going to be just a port of the Snes one, but a completely new title. Looks like it would've been a point and click adventure game.

I heard about the cancelled Mega Drive version of Popeye from a Japanese Technos fansite years ago. Glad to know it actually existed at some point rather being a mere announcement. I heard American Technos actually commissioned Technos Japan to develop the three Popeye games they made (American Technos are actually credited in the SFC game, as well as in Popeye's Beach Volley), even though they never came out here.
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RahanAkero wrote:
And I came up with some more moon-dancer stuff.

Full Japanese title: ムーンダンサー 妖精王の帰還 (Moon Dancer - Yousei-ou no Kika)
Developed by Beep? http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~t-suzuki/sousyuhen/so_be_mega02.htm
This website's got a full screenshot of the title screen, so... yeah. 1989 SEGA/BEEP. Accordin' to my lack of fluency and excite.co.jp's translator, it says...

"Beep" Serial that chases process from which the second "The fairy king return" of RPG novel "Moon dancer" serialized in the magazine is made game at any time.
However, it is not put on the market after all, and the serial is discontinuance (Gactsu) in the game.

If I'm readin' that right, it's actually based off of a series of serial novels, which would kinda make sense, seeing as when I searched for "妖精王の帰還", I got a lot of book covers. I'll see if I can get a better translation from a friend that actually is literate.

EDIT for the whole bloody title, instead of just the kanji.

Thanks for all of that info:

cool, the full title screen of Moon Dancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: