Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 am

Deleted Urban Strike level (Genesis)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
man_traic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Deleted Urban Strike level (Genesis) Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Strike#Urban_Strike

Quote:
Interestingly, Urban Strike shows a terrorist attack on the World Trade Center towers in 2001 (although the method of attack differs, the game's primary villain attacks New York with a laser weapon.). In addition, an unfinished level had the terrorist laser downing a commercial flight in up state New York. This sequence was cut from the final game, due to production time and memory constraints, but an early version of the level existed in playable form during produciton.*citation needed*

Anyone ever heard of this? I wasnt aware there was a Proto of US floating around...?
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reference for that so you can take it with a grain of salt. Just like the people that claim they saw a secret cow level in diablo.
Twitchfactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering around, looking for something completely unrelated, when I found forum.

Anyway, yes it is TRUE. There was a level where the terrorist shot down a commercial airliner. The player had to use the Blackhawk (the larger chopper), to shuttle survivors to safety, while fending off on-coming ground troop attacks.

We cut it due to time and memory constraints (we actually wanted to cut another level, but marketing gone incredibly upset at the aspect of losing another level, so we worked extra hard... hell, I slept under my desk for a month, to finish Urban Strike).

Thinking back, it would've been a hard level to sustain anyway, since it wasn't a "traditional Strike level", where the player moves around a large area, balancing attack vector, armor, fuel and ammo resources. It would've been a very centralized level, with little reason to leave the impact zone. Some 15 years later, I know how I would make it work, but back then, I don't think it would've been a fun level ultimately.

And yes, we were the first (only?) to put a terrorist attack on the Twin Towers in NY, in a game. Strike games were always built to be "plausible". We studied the headlines and extrapolated from that, so it seemed like a natural target. Little did we know...

In some things, cuts are unfortunate and in others, it's for the best. In this case; it's for the better.

-Tony Barnes / Co-Designer Strike Series
Darklighterx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Best late response ever?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: