Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

Star Odyssey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondancin'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Can't wait for the release. I've been curious about Blue Almanac for a long, long time.
Djungelurban

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering, what happened to this game? Didn't someone have a copy of the translated rom that they were gonna release? Still waiting for it...
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo, Star Odyssey is being released on cartridge by Super Fighter Team with the cooperation of the current rights holders and the "sure, but don't put our name on it" of Sega.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems it now available from Super Fighter.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.starodysseygame.com/
Quote:
Star Odyssey is proudly presented through the partnership of Super Fighter Team and Starfish-SD Inc. Developed by Hot-B Co., Ltd., the game was then localized, debugged, partially reprogrammed and otherwise prepared for official worldwide release by Super Fighter Team.

So either this is not the same final version drx was about to release (what happened, anyway?), or the Super Fighter Team is full of bullshit.
Boco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
So either this is not the same final version drx was about to release (what happened, anyway?), or the Super Fighter Team is full of bullshit.

According to their forum,
D-- wrote:
When you play the Super Fighter Team game you will be glad he didn't release the proto.

I was SFT's programmer for Star Odyssey and got to see the prototype ROM as a reference. It was horrifying and shameful that they sent that to a magazine for review.

The game crashed after several hours; there were sprites walking around that you couldn't speak to; the entire game was written using a hideous font; descriptions for most of the items and magic types made no sense ...
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Super Fighter Team's involved, it's as good as lost to me. I'm still pretty pissed about the remarks their head blurted out against the emulation scene half a decade ago.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they might have used the proto to figure out the text system and then just translated the Japanese rom from scratch.

I think they also claimed their upcoming release of Nightmare Busters is based on a different build than the proto that's currently floating around.

I'm surprised D Boy is one of the translators for that game. I remember him always complaining at the translation scene about them always translating Japanese RPGs. And here he is translating one himself.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
I think they also claimed their upcoming release of Nightmare Busters is based on a different build than the proto that's currently floating around.

...But wasn't the released prototype final, already?

I haven't played it much, but I don't remember noticing any "incompleteness" in that version.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
I'm surprised D Boy is one of the translators for that game. I remember him always complaining at the translation scene about them always translating Japanese RPGs. And here he is translating one himself.

I don't think it's JRPGs, just (Super) Famicom JRPGs.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
If Super Fighter Team's involved, it's as good as lost to me. I'm still pretty pissed about the remarks their head blurted out against the emulation scene half a decade ago.

what did he actually say? I vaguely recall being pissed off at him for some reason back then and I can't for the life of me remember what it was about.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was talking about how his company was much more professional than the translation scene, and how they were much better than ROM hackers because they were professional, and how this made them so much more important, and etc. He's since apologized, and it was at least six years ago, so it's probably time to let bygones be bygones.
Death Adder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.

Thanks for sharing the news of this release with the community here @ Lost Levels. Even if you don't or can't purchase the completed product, we always appreciate the word of mouth support.

The long overdue release of Star Odyssey was made possible in large part thanks to Jason Wilson and DRX, and with big thanks to Starfish-SD for putting their fans first by granting us a license to produce the game on what has long been considered a "dead" platform.

---

As for the ridiculous comments I made in regard to the translation community some years ago, I can only attribute them to the ignorance and brashness of my youth. After all, it was a member of the translation community who first introduced me to the original Chinese version of Beggar Prince, sparking my interest in the localization of video games: the core focus of our business, at present. Sadly, one cannot take back one's actions - but those actions can certainly be learned from.

---

Thanks again for keeping up with this release. If anyone has any questions about this or any of our other game products, please feel free to inquire either here at the forum or by contacting me directly via e-mail.

Have a nice day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: