Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

The Future of Video Games - Hyperscan Game Console
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when these first came out, i called up Mattel's press department to get a sample copy. After playing phone tag for a week i finally got in touch with their VP of marketing. The second i said the word "Hyperscan" she hung up on me.

We have a full RFID lab at work, i really just wanted to fuck with the thing anyway... Shame stores still want $70 for it.
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Back when these first came out, i called up Mattel's press department to get a sample copy. After playing phone tag for a week i finally got in touch with their VP of marketing. The second i said the word "Hyperscan" she hung up on me.

We have a full RFID lab at work, i really just wanted to fuck with the thing anyway... Shame stores still want $70 for it.

Hyperscan is now Officially discontinued. A few months after It came out I picked it up at a target for $20. I have the X-men game that came with it some game called Ben 10 I recently picked up at walmart for $5. There is now a growing hyperscan community and people are trying to find out how to make new games or port some PC games for the system.

The Site can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/hyperscansoftware/index.html

The Forum is Here:
http://hyperscan.18.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

Also apparently the specs on this system are better than the Sega CD and 3DO. The games for the system load extremely slow but that is attributed to the developers rushing game development. The system is said to atleast have enough power to play Quake.

Here's the Hyperscan specs :

108 MHz SunPlus 32-Bit RISC Processor
Open GL ES 1.0 3D Support
2 Controller Ports
Composite Video Output
MPEG4 Video Playback/MP3 Audio
16 MB DDR System Ram
640x480 Native Resolution
24 PCM sound channels
Quad Speed CD-Rom Drive
RFID Scanner (13.56 MHz)
RFID Storage: 128 Bytes
USB 1.1 Port
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weskm wrote:
kap wrote:
So it's basically a higher-tech Barcode Battler.

No it's a actual chip , like the ones they attach to stuff to deter theft.

That's what the "higher-tech" part meant. I know what rfid is. It was also a quick and easy jab and a little sarcasm. Come on guy, you've had 18 months to reply to my post, you don't get a free pass. :P

Good post for a thread necromancy anyway.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so it is quite a bit more powerful than your average Jakks Pacific TV Game.

Doesn't make it suck less, though. Sad
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the very slight upside, at least none of its games are necessarily horrible in a memorable way. It doesn't have something along the lines of, say, Make My Video: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. That has to be a vaguely redeemable quality. Vaguely. It just happens to have botched games that make it a forgettable system.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
Hyperscan is now Officially discontinued.

FUTURE OF GAMING!
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnikkaman_lackey wrote:
On the very slight upside, at least none of its games are necessarily horrible in a memorable way. [...] It just happens to have botched games that make it a forgettable system.

I think there was a guy who wrote a song about this. Something about "burning out" versus "fading away".

P.S.
Neil Young wrote:
Hey hey, my my.
Hyperscan will surely die.
There's less to the system
than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.
neomerge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
neomerge wrote:
Hyperscan is now Officially discontinued.

FUTURE OF GAMING!

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shinobizach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Hyper-scan sucks! Reply with quote

All that thing is is just a cheap attempt to copy Nintendo's E-Card reader, not to mention the games are in such low graphic quality, I mean they look like GBA games for cripes sake.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyper-scan sucks! Reply with quote

shinobizach wrote:
All that thing is is just a cheap attempt to copy Nintendo's E-Card reader, not to mention the games are in such low graphic quality, I mean they look like GBA games for cripes sake.

The E-card reader was itself inspired by the Bandai Barcode Battler. Nintendo is not a creative company when it comes to hardware.
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyper-scan sucks! Reply with quote

Nobody technically said that the "future of gaming" was anything vaguely resembling quality, though. Ambiguous definitions of such phrases are slippery like that.
carlaxx
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video game would make an awesome movie? I'd love to see Final Fantasy X made, but it'd have to be made better than the game.
Most video games made into movies kind of suck though.

Last edited by carlaxx on Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlaxx wrote:
What video game would make an awesome movie? I'd love to see Final Fantasy X made, but it'd have to be made better than the game.
Most video games made into movies kind of suck though.

I like pie. They should make a video game about pie. Have they ever made a video game about pie? Maybe it could have, like, different kinds of, you know, pie to choose from - apple pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, mince meat pie, rhubarb pie. I like apple pie. It reminds me of America. Stand beside her and guide her, as I always say. How about a video game pie? What do you think, carlaxx?

Whenever I see that name Carla, I always think of that beloved actress of stage and screen, Carla Gugino. Now there's a woman that'll stimulate your economy. And speaking of economies, I was once told by a video game to "eat communism." I was very confused, but this was apparently some sort of memetics on the Internets.

(Yeah, I know carlaxx is probably a bot, but I don't care. I like pie, dag nab it. And I'm bored.)
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Whenever I see that name Carla, I always think of that beloved actress of stage and screen, Carla Gugino. Now there's a woman that'll stimulate your economy.

I would like to officially endorse this statement.

Although her horrible performance in Watchmen almost made her unattractive to me. Almost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: