Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 pm

Power Player guy goes to jail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Power Player guy goes to jail. Reply with quote

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169454

Um, you remember the Power Player?
Famiclone with built-in pirate cart sold out in the open in shopping malls across America?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I still remember how shocking it was to see these things being peddled in a mall, a few feet away from a Gamestop. Surely those local Nintendo reps passed by it several times while giving Gamestop its promo crap?
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it was only a matter of time before they started cracking down. They were selling this kind of crap on QVC, for crying out loud (not these in particular - Power Joys, I believe).
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always so amazed that blatant pirate consoles were being sold so openly. I brought up the legality of those with one of the kiosk vendors, and he was certainly evasive about it ("It's licensed? Why isn't there a Nintendo logo? Why is the copyright information missing? Why are there so many typos?") One of my friends worked for one of those booths without ever realizing that the things were unlicensed. A local TV newscast here even listed the Power Joy Whatevers as a "good buy" for the holidays.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn. While I think it's good he was busted, I also think the punishment does not fit the crime. I've seen drunk drivers facing manslaughter charges get less jailtime.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to one of the vendors and informed her it was illegal. Probably coulda got a freebie, but I talked her down $20 instead. I was pissed because the demo had all kinds of COntra variations on it and all I got was a crapload of mapper 1 an 0 games. Fuckers.

-ROb
rdb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
I spoke to one of the vendors and informed her it was illegal. Probably coulda got a freebie, but I talked her down $20 instead. I was pissed because the demo had all kinds of COntra variations on it and all I got was a crapload of mapper 1 an 0 games. Fuckers.

-ROb

This sounds weird. You... blackmailed her? If it was a tranny prostitute you'd just get your ass beat. BELIEVE YOU ME
Computolio_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famichip-based clones are horrible horrible horrible, and these were the worst of the bunch. The sooner they're gone, the better.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Guess it was only a matter of time before they started cracking down. They were selling this kind of crap on QVC, for crying out loud (not these in particular - Power Joys, I believe).

yeah, i remember seeing somethig of the like on pretty much every TV shopping channel going in the UK at one point, and even in a few massive national chains like argos that really should have known better.

the UK distributor for Power Joy actually used to be about half a mile from my house, they even ran their own crappy little satellite channel out of a studio in their warehouse - quietly dropped all mention of the powerjoy a while back, but not before i scored a few interesting multicarts off their website (including one that featured toma's translation of some keroppi game and a weird iraq-based hack of silkwork).

although there are just as many illegal famiclones around as there ever were, everything is just graphically hacked. for a while now i've been meaning to make a website with info on all the weird hacks and occasional original games you get on these things... i have a few of the clones in question sitting in a box somewhere. but then as so often happens i lost interest in the pieces of shit (there's a point at which trying to get any kind of video capture working on a piss-poor computer with piss-poor capture hardware so you can record a video of a piss-poor hack of a nintendo game to upload onto youtube becomes more trouble than it's worth and i just go and do something else)

still might happen though. maybe.
The Man From P.O.O.T.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this not happen sooner? I too remember seeing this on QVC, and I thought it was a pretty fishy ordeal. It just boggles the mind when you take into consideration how long these have been around and how common they are.
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
I'm torn. While I think it's good he was busted, I also think the punishment does not fit the crime. I've seen drunk drivers facing manslaughter charges get less jailtime.
Well, this man made a ton of money off of it, so I think it makes sense.

I bought something like this in seventh grade, but only because my NES was broken, and I figured if they had display set-ups in the mall it must've been legit... gotta wonder what the hell the Phantom Menace fight is doing on the package.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mezase Master wrote:
handofg0d wrote:

You're right, money > life.
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Mezase Master wrote:
handofg0d wrote:

You're right, money > life.
Morally, no, but I'm sure when it comes to the law, that much money is a lot bigger of a deal than a few people dying. Not saying I agree with it, that's just how it works.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one running Mario Brothers a few years back at a mall kiosk and also wondered why nothing was being done about these.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdb wrote:
rbudrick wrote:

-ROb

This sounds weird. You... blackmailed her? If it was a tranny prostitute you'd just get your ass beat. BELIEVE YOU ME

Pirate trannies? Shit, I dunno what ships you're hanging out on, but it don't sound like the Love Boat. Definitely a party boat, though....with nice curtains. Hah! Laughing

-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: