Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am

Nes Space Ace?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Nes Space Ace? Reply with quote

Over at http://www.unseen64.net/ there's a new update linking to a site that has scans from an old Italian game magazine called consolemania. Among some of the more interesting stuff in the scans, I noticed what looks like pictures of an nes version of Space Ace. (See the very bottom right.)

http://www.old-computer-mags.com/Magazine/Consolemania%20N.3/Consolemania3-p11.html

Dragon's Lair for the Nes was an abomination, so its probably a blessing this didn't see the light of day. Still fairly interesting. Anybody capable of translating that info?
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2798/spaceacenesyv0.jpg

Italian transcribing:
Code:
Prossimamente per NES anche i due gioiellini laser del signor Bluth, i famosissimi Dragon's Lair e Space Ace. L'eroico Dirk tenterà in Dragon's Lair di strappare per l'ennesima volta dalle grinfie del drago Singe la bella Daphne. Dovrà farsi strada attraverso cinque livelli pieni di guardiani del nido (quello del drago), raccogliendo bonus e tesori durante l'impresa. L'uscita di questa prima chicca è prevista in Europa entro la fine dell'anno. Per quanto riguarda il secondo parto laser di Sullivan Bluth, invece, la data non è conosciuta ancora.  Il gioco invece lo conoscerete tutti: il nostro eroe Ace deve sconfiggere il perfido Borf e così impedirgli di usare il Raggio Infanto sulla Terra, trasformandone gli abitanti in bambini (ovviamente quelli che non lo sono già). Purtroppo Ace è già stato colpito dal raggio che lo ha trasformato in un adolescente. In questa forma di nome Dexter il paladino dovrà lanciarsi in quest'avventra anche per salvare la propria fidanzata, Kimberley, e tornare normale (altrimenti che la salva a fare?.) Entrambi i giochi sembrano avere una stupenda grafica; giudicate comunque voi dalle foto..

English translation:
Code:
Coming soon for the NES, the two laser disc gems by Mr. Bluth, most famous the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. The heroic Dirk will try in Dragon's Lair to tear (for the umpteenth time) from the claws of the Singe the dragon the beautiful Daphne. He will have to beat feet through five guardian filled levels of the nest (that of the dragon), collecting bonuses and treasures during the expedition. The release of this pearl is scheduled in Europe before the end of the year. However regarding the second laser disc section of Sullivan Bluth, is still not known. The game in question you will all know: our hero Ace must defeat the perfidious Borf and thus stop him from using the Infanto Ray on Earth, transforming some of its inhabitants into children (obviously those which are not already). Unfortunately, Ace already has been hit by the ray and has transformed into an adolescent. While in this form, in the name of Dexter, the champion will have to launch himself in this adventure in order to save his just fiancée, Kimberley, and to return to otherwise normal (ultimately what's left to be done.) Both games seem to have a wonderful graphics; however you be the judge from the photos.

The translation is a bit awkward, but I included it this way because it creates context for something important that we didn't know... The reviewers knew beforehand the release date of Dragon's Lair, but also knew that there wasn't a release date in sight for Space Ace.

:/

Last edited by B00daW on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed out the text:

Prossimamente per NES anche i due gioiellini laser del signor Bluth, i famosissimi Dragon's Lair e Space Ace. L'eroico Dirk tenterà in Dragon's Lair di strappare per l'ennesima volta dalle grinfie del drago Singe la bella Daphne. Dovrà farsi strada attraverso cinque livelli pieni di guardiani del nido (quello del drago), raccogliendo bonus e tesori durante l'impresa. L'uscita di questa prima chicca è prevista in Europa entro la fine dell'anno. Per quantro riguarda il secondo parto laser di Sullivan Bluth, invece, la data non è conosciuta ancora. Il gioco invece lo conoscerete tutti: il nostro eroe Ace deve sconfiggere il perfido Borf e così impedirgli di usare il Raggio Infanto sulla Terra, trasformandone gli abitanti in bambini (ovviamente quelli che non lo sono già). Purtroppo Ace è già stato colpito dal raggio che lo ha trasformato in un adolescente. In questa forma di nome Dexter il paladino dovrà lanciarsi in quest'avventura anche per salvare la propia fidanzata, Kimberley, e tonare normale (altrimenti che la salva a fare?). Entrambi i giochi sembrano avere una stupenda grafica; gludicáte comunque voi dalle foto..

Running it through some translators, it looks like the gist of relevant info is that Space Ace is coming to the NES, they don't know when, the graphics look nice, and here are some screenshots.

Nice find, I'll have to front-page this.
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I win, Frank. Very Happy
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B00daW wrote:
I win, Frank. :D

Yeah but I didn't break the forums with a huge image.
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh... No spankingz, plz. Forum etiquette is a foreign language I don't understand. Sad
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the fuck is anybody supposed to red bright red against dark grey? Good god. :P
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I was the one who broke it this time. :O
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
How the fuck is anybody supposed to red bright red against dark grey? Good god. :P

I think that's our broken CSS, I don't think we usually use the code tag around here.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front-paged!
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
kap wrote:

I think that's our broken CSS, I don't think we usually use the code tag around here.

Our CSS is perfect! Our website is perfect! What you say! Blasphemy!
fgasking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the post on Space Ace, and ironically i've had a few developments on the Space Ace licence a few days ago (Primarily for the C64 conversion, but relating to this NES version).

A guy has come forward with a series of documents which are detailing specifications for the game. I'm arranging with him for scans/PDF of this material soon - which you're welcome to grab for the site.

The game was being done by Empire Software along with Dragons Lair. One snippet i've been given from one of the proposal documents can be found below.

I'll ask to keep an eye out for any NES based materials. Sadly there are no prototype cartridges/disks it seems from the guy - though there are possibly some 230MB optical disks which might be interesting.

Great site btw Frank!

---

Snippet i've been given from one of the docs:

"Other Issues:

Comments to other Developers from Space Ace C64 Development Group:

To try to maintain portability for Nintendo, we are looking at a 512K product, which because of the C64's particular similarity to Nintendo, we will push the C64 to its functional limits. You may find some of our approaches unsuitable for other machines and technologies, since we are taking advantage of special hardware tricks peculiar to the C64, Nintendo systems.
Space Ace 64 will have skill levels, an attract mode, load-save high scores, all the expected features."
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
kap wrote:
How the fuck is anybody supposed to red bright red against dark grey? Good god. Razz

Hehe, I think that might have actually been CSS from Ye Olde NESDB, from days of internet yore. That's what I based the lovely gray-on-gray forum color scheme on.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SNES version wasn't released neither. I found a magazine scan about it, check This Link.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deespence2929 wrote:
Well, the SNES version wasn't released neither.
Both my ROM folder and local used game shops say otherwise.

It was published by Absolute, though, not Seika as the article states (could have changed hands, I guess).
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me, I thought it hadn't. Well, thats not the only thing to be found at the link. Sega CD game genie, scrapped SSF2 characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: