Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

40 Winks N64 found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: 40 Winks N64 found Reply with quote

I don't recall ever hearing about a release on Lost Levels.

Found in a "NonGoodN64" ROMset (meaning it was packed with a bunch of Mario 64 hacks), so I just ripped it out for the rest of you.
http://rapidshare.com/files/143957788/40_winks.7z.html
(28 MB)

I couldn't get the ROM to work, but maybe if you can figure out how to use Glide64 you can play it.
Squirrel Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

(deleted)

Last edited by Squirrel Hunter on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[16:39:57] <marshallh> it runs fine, you just have to switch the the RSP core to interpreter mode instead of dynarec
[16:40:04] <marshallh> although it's slo
[16:40:32] <marshallh> i haven't tested that exact file but I helped the guy dump the original file
[16:40:40] <marshallh> so i don't see how it could be messed up
[16:40:46] <marshallh> it's PAL

This is on Project64. I'm at work and can't check it out.

Could someone make a video and post possibly?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I think this was released on the assembler forums? I forget.
drx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Yeah.

It's kinda nice, now that I think about it, that it was released and all.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Yeah.

It's kinda nice, now that I think about it, that it was released and all.

It's true, but for some reason I just can't be interested in anything on the N64, so I didn't even download this one.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is huge!!!!!! I can't wait to play it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea this was dumped and released back in Jan 08. I never bothered with it because I have the PSX version, and there's not really a good n64 emu for OSX anyway. Game is alright I guess, pretty standard fare for a platformer.
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very mixed about the whole thing...

I enjoy the fact that unreleased games come out, even if they have alternate console counterparts. In this case, yeah, I've played 40 Winks on the PSX when everybody was going through the downloading ISOs at 56K stage and installing 8 pin modchips in their Sonys.

But what sorta tears me is, an unreleased game gets released and there is little to no press or acclaim for its release; unless it's obscure, really neat, or fun.

At the same time, you have people sitting around with unreleased lists just waiting and hoping for a game to get released to the public; but yet again, they will probably not play the game and just store it on their hard drives somewhere.

I know I'm talking about many different people with different personalities, but this brings me to the point of: What's gonna happen when all of these unreleased games are brought to the public and all we have to go on are the surprise, unreleased and unpublished games?

I don't see the whole "unreleased games" business/scene to have a very fruitful or rising future -- especially with how the new digital age is going and how easy it is to back up data and binaries. Leaking a game is much much easier due to the fact that everybody is connected to the internet and not to mention all the different peoples designing new server software which leads to more easily exploited vulnerabilities for data retrieval.

To perk up the general doom outlook of my previous rambling, I can see and do see the effort and time spent to make this place more organized and interesting from its past reputation -- and I commend Frank for such effort. However, if we as a community of unreleased interest let unreleased games slide under the mat back into an unpreserved state, what incentive does a meek collector have to share his unreleased prototypes and images of prototypes without getting the general impression that the public is spoiled and unappreciative of the history of gaming?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B00daW wrote:
blah blah blah

First of all, an incomplete and extremely similar port of a game that was released to retail is just not going to be exciting to very many people. An unreleased arcade to Atari port is interesting because of the extreme differences between the hardware, a PlayStation to Nintendo 64 port is not all that interesting because it is going to be the same game.

Second of all, I don't think game preservation is all that important for the present or immediate future, I do what I do on Lost Levels and elsewhere for the sake of future generations. I always use Orson Welles as an example - we have lost footage shot by the greatest film director of all time, because no one thought it was important enough to keep safe. My point is not that Sunman is comparable to Citizen Kane, my point is that we have no way of knowing what is going to be important to historians fifty, twenty, even ten years from now, and that the gaming industry is both young enough to not take preservation seriously and old enough that we're in real danger of important people dying and taking their knowledge to the grave.
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand all too well about this particular case and its version versus the released version. However, it and many other releases in the past being released and lost struck a chord. I don't think restating anything is necessary.

Personally, I thought Citizen Kane was boring and I'd prefer to compare to Metropolis for the same exact reasons Wink, but I get your point and knew this full well before rambling. Also, I fully agree with you.

I guess it boils down to a matter of respect, and eventually an unreleased game will lose its definition of unreleased in time and just be another game in a collection.
whatthe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works nicely on project 64.

Jurai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw I believe the dump originated from underground gamer, it was put up on there back in january and the description implies the uploader was also the dumper

Quote:
Description Many thanx to Olivieryuyu for sending me a Game Shark to dump this game.
I hope many will enjoy this rare game.
it seems the game doesn't work in project64 1.6, but it works fine in pj1.7 and in 1964.

maybe it came from assemblers, idk since I don't go to assmans site
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurai wrote:
fwiw I believe the dump originated from underground gamer, it was put up on there back in january and the description implies the uploader was also the dumper

Quote:
Description Many thanx to Olivieryuyu for sending me a Game Shark to dump this game.
I hope many will enjoy this rare game.
it seems the game doesn't work in project64 1.6, but it works fine in pj1.7 and in 1964.

Maybe it was found in a bag of Doritos like your Madden 96 proto.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurai wrote:

A bit ironic you'd be interested in finding the source, when you were the one who tried to claim "credit" for a proto that several people paid for, don't you think?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dot50Cal wrote:
Jurai wrote:

A bit ironic you'd be interested in finding the source, when you were the one who tried to claim "credit" for a proto that several people paid for, don't you think?

OK guys, take your drama elsewhere, no one here cares. PM's work great if you still need to use my forums for this stuff.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Frank. I just can't help myself some times. I don't mind the insults thrown towards the site, thats just a fact of life. What does irk me is the matter of credit to the people who paid for a certain proto to be released and almost had some guy try to take all that hard work as his own.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
B00daW wrote:
blah blah blah

......I always use Orson Welles as an example - we have lost footage shot by the greatest film director of all time, because no one thought it was important enough to keep safe..

You ever listen to his radio series? Not just the War of the Worlds, but his Third Man shows, or other stuff? Brilliant work.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderbutt wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
B00daW wrote:
blah blah blah

......I always use Orson Welles as an example - we have lost footage shot by the greatest film director of all time, because no one thought it was important enough to keep safe..

You ever listen to his radio series? Not just the War of the Worlds, but his Third Man shows, or other stuff? Brilliant work.

No, I don't think I have, just a few Shadow episodes if those count. Is there a good archive of that on the internet?
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Wonderbutt wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
B00daW wrote:
blah blah blah

No, I don't think I have, just a few Shadow episodes if those count. Is there a good archive of that on the internet?

Sure, sure. Internet Archive is one spot, besides the other resources.

http://www.archive.org/details/otr_campbellplayhouse

and here, all Orson..

http://www.archive.org/details/OrsonWellesOnSuspense

Download the Hitchhiker first. Chilling and ethereal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: