VC Alternative, Week Five: Dragon Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burgerbecky wrote:
As far as I knew, Interplay held the US and European rights to Dragon Wars for the NES. The game sold so-so in Japan and as a result the plans for a US/ European port of the game was scrapped. I didn't know if they had done any work on an English language version. I wonder if it was a fan made "fansub" of the game.

Nah, this was definitely legit. The cartridge we got came from a flea market, and the text matches the two screenshots we have from magazines of the day.

Rebecca, do you remember the relationship between Interplay and Kemco-Seika? My understanding is that Kemco-Seika got the home console rights to Dragon Wars from Interplay, and was doing both the development and distribution itself.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dais wrote:
I specifically want to know what the hell is up with Dragon View, their bizarro sequel to Drakkhen

Dragon View was released in Japan as Super Drakkhen, so it's definitely supposed to be (at the least) a carry over from the first game.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
burgerbecky wrote:
As far as I knew, Interplay held the US and European rights to Dragon Wars for the NES. The game sold so-so in Japan and as a result the plans for a US/ European port of the game was scrapped. I didn't know if they had done any work on an English language version. I wonder if it was a fan made "fansub" of the game.

Nah, this was definitely legit. The cartridge we got came from a flea market, and the text matches the two screenshots we have from magazines of the day.

Ah, so I'm guessing it wasn't the same copy I remember turning up on ebay, and LL being outbid on?
(I'll see if I still have a copy of the auction, but I'm sure it was at least a year or two before the LL release.)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
burgerbecky wrote:

Ah, so I'm guessing it wasn't the same copy I remember turning up on ebay, and LL being outbid on?
(I'll see if I still have a copy of the auction, but I'm sure it was at least a year or two before the LL release.)

You're probably right, I don't remember most of this stuff.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're both right. The cartridge was first found at a flea market, and the guy who found it put it up on eBay, where we bid on it and lost.

The guy who won the auction eventually sold it to DreamTR, and we worked out a deal with him to let us dump it.
Necrosaro420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Mezase Master wrote:
Besides, it had to be uploaded from somewhere.

Well, the cartridge was first found at a flea market out in California, if I remember correctly. Kemco was based out of California. DreamTR owns the cartridge at the moment, he let us dump it as part of a trade.

Dais wrote:
I'm emailing Rebecca (formerly Bill) Heineman, (sole) programmer of Dragon Wars.

Hey, good luck with that.

He actually sold a repro of it on ebay about 1.5 years or so ago, a few of us put in some cash and purchased and dumped it as well, I know he put out a copy of Scarabeus as well, which I THINK, discountgames gobbled up
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mezase Master wrote:
Hey, Interplay made Atomic Bomberman! That game was da bomb!

That's one of the few PC games I can still remember the audio from. Too bad it used IPX for multiplayer, yech.
burgerbecky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Rebecca, do you remember the relationship between Interplay and Kemco-Seika? My understanding is that Kemco-Seika got the home console rights to Dragon Wars from Interplay, and was doing both the development and distribution itself.

Yes, Kemco bought the console rights and they did the port themselves. Interplay had nothing to do with the programming.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dais wrote:
I'd love to know more about Kemco from a direct source, though - I specifically want to know what the hell is up with Dragon View, their bizarro sequel to Drakkhen

Is there really a big mystery surrounding Dragon View? Like Klarth said, it was called Super Drakkhen in Japan, and the U.S. version has a copyright for Drakkhen II. It was programmed at Kemco by a few of the people who'd worked on the SNES port of Drakkhen, and I believe Infogrames did the localization.

It's also a rather good game, considering its history. I'm surprised that it isn't more popular, as even lousy SNES RPGs have followings today.
Dais

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery to me isn't so much "how" as "why". I mean, I'm not the kind of person who goes along with the idea Drakkhen's a terrible game (although I don't think it really stands the test of time), but it's a rather strange game to end up generating such a curious action-RPG from.

It's not like Wizardry, which helped birth a genre and led to dozens of Japanese dungeon crawlers, including lots of exclusive Wizardry titles. It's....just a very strange thing to happen, all things considered.

I certainly like the game - whereas the overworld in Drakkhen feels like empty space to fight screeching enemies/drown in, the overworld in Dragon View is a lot closer to Zelda, with all it's hidden caves with powerups. It makes me wish the combat was less jerky, so I could feel better about recommending it to people.
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Mezase Master wrote:
Hey, Interplay made Atomic Bomberman! That game was da bomb!

That's one of the few PC games I can still remember the audio from. Too bad it used IPX for multiplayer, yech.
Yeah really, I never got to play a real multi-player game because of that. Sad Some days I'd try for hours trying to make it work.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosaro420 wrote:
He actually sold a repro of it on ebay about 1.5 years or so ago, a few of us put in some cash and purchased and dumped it as well, I know he put out a copy of Scarabeus as well, which I THINK, discountgames gobbled up

I think I remember seeing those on eBay, now that you mention it. Both of those were probably the same cartridges he loaned us. The copies of Dragon Wars and Scarabeus we dumped a couple years ago were both repros.
Necrosaro420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Necrosaro420 wrote:

I think I remember seeing those on eBay, now that you mention it. Both of those were probably the same cartridges he loaned us. The copies of Dragon Wars and Scarabeus we dumped a couple years ago were both repros.

Yep, we threw a couple on ebay to get our money back for what we had paid for the cart to get her dumped and get a few copys out there for people
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Eh? ohh.Yeah I was fiddlin' around with Sweet 16, the Apple IIGS emulator for OS X and came across a demo and released (or beta?) version of this bitch. The game stops when you bump into blue slimes. I hate it when blue slimes mess shit up.

Nice that they ditched the ugly EGAish title screen for a much sweeter looking one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: