Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:21 am

BEEP! Megadrive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: BEEP! Megadrive Reply with quote

I've been looking to buy some BEEP!メガドライブ (BEEP! Megadrive) issues to scan them, the costs are a bit prohibitive though.

Anyone here own any issues of the magazine? I could contribute a lowly amount of cash towards some scans, too.

Please speak up if you've got other Japanese magazines from that era as well (like Megadrive FAN, or something Famicom)

Thanks.

Edit: whoa, phpbb just totally bastardized my title (it had katakana in it), and we were getting along so well, too Embarassed
Dais

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no magazines, but I think you should consider asking at Insert Credit and Gamengai.

(being aware at both places not to feed the Recap)
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got many issues of Beep Megadrive, Famitsu, Famimaga, etc from the late 80s and early 90s. Is there a specific game/month that you're interested in?

The sad news is I have no scanner, only a digital camera.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAUGHING OUT LOUD, I've seen magazines that were captured with a digital camera before. It's not near as good as a scanner.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said it was sad news. What's there to laugh about?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What isn't there to laugh about? Laughter is the best medicine, and we're all very sick men.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have every issue of Backup Technique, which was a hacker's bible. Every issue had buttloads of console mods, hacks, projects, programs you could type in, etc. for every console and JP computer system of the time. Absolutely incredible publication.

However, I can't contribute them for scans until I sell my dupe issues, but no one has bitten yet. They were EXTREMELY expensive for me to acquire. Here's a link with more info if anyone wants it:

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1965

Anyway, didn't mean to be a shameless plug, but I really do want to share these with the world, only I HAVE to get rid of these things first.

-Rob
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly want another giant stack of magazines i need to store somewhere, but i'd toss in some cash to get the scans. How much are you looking for to offset the cost?
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wanted to get $25 per issue, and there's 13 dupes I have for sale (well, 15, but hose are dupes of dupes). I now it's expensive, and I hate to be a cheap bastard, as it's not in my character, but if you read the thread above, you'll see these cost a buttload for me to acquire.

For those like ProgrammingAce who wouldn't want a stack of these books, I'd hate to charge anyone and not give them something tangible...and even if I did these things would still be sitting at my house, heh!

However, I don't want to threadjack, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM. Or, if anyone wanted more info on these in general just to chat about them, I could make a new thread if the interest is there. I do have one article I scanned and translated on how to make dubbing cables and remove the copy protection from FDS drives.

-Rob
Kiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some things on "BEEP!" At NicoNIcoDouga, including a song about it sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. That's all I got though.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say I am awestruck that you've actually gathered a collection of every issue. I have 3 from like 92-93 that I bought at Super Potato. About 1000 yen each and worth every penny. It's fascinating to have such a window into the history of the Japanese hacking and pirate scene.

Would you happen to have the one off issue put out by (I think) the same people that's all about pirate stuff from Asia? I saw a copy on Yahoo Japan, but only once.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
I just have to say I am awestruck that you've actually gathered a collection of every issue. I have 3 from like 92-93 that I bought at Super Potato. About 1000 yen each and worth every penny. It's fascinating to have such a window into the history of the Japanese hacking and pirate scene.

Would you happen to have the one off issue put out by (I think) the same people that's all about pirate stuff from Asia? I saw a copy on Yahoo Japan, but only once.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what issue you are referring to. I know that there were 38 issues and two "best of issues" after that, or at least that's what they appear to be, I think. After that, they became Game Lab (Game Labo), but were basically the same publication with a different name, as far as I knew. During the early issues (around issue 10, give or take a couple issues, I forget) they put out 3 issues of Famicom Kaizou Manual (Famicom Remodeling/Reconstruction Manual...Basically Famicom Modding Manual). These were in the exact same format as Backup Technique, only dedicated to the FC and its related items and accessories.

But yes, it is truly fascinating to see into this little window in time to that scene. Reading these issues (or trying to) makes me feel like a little kid when I would wait by the mailbox for the next Nintendo Power issue to come out so I could drool over it. If I could read them better, they'd be even more awesome! Seriously, I feel like I'm peeking at the man behind the curtain reading these.

As far as pirate stuff from Asia, these things do have reviews of the copiers and such and also MANY vintage ads for them (pure unadulterated awesomeness). I can read very little of them, unfortunately. The beauty of these issues though it that all the diagrams and schematics are basically universal and the programs that you can type in are also universal to the machines they are for. Code is code.

If they did have a publication just dedicated to copiers, I'd LOVE to know about it.

-Rob
Tongueman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Game Labo, there was a magazine called "Backup Technique" which was just as awesome.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Before Game Labo, there was a magazine called "Backup Technique" which was just as awesome.

rbudrick wrote:
I have every issue of Backup Technique, which was a hacker's bible.

Razz
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, something tells me you will be more than happy to translate every word of all 40 issues for us if scanned, right? RIGHT?!

Lolz.

-Rob
Tongueman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only snippets, if absolutely required.
man_traic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Chris, something tells me you will be more than happy to translate every word of all 40 issues for us if scanned, right? RIGHT?!

Lolz.

-Rob

Somewhat crude, but couldnt you use ocr software?
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man_traic wrote:
rbudrick wrote:

Lolz.

-Rob

Somewhat crude, but couldnt you use ocr software?

Know any good Japanese OCR software?

Tongueman wrote:
Only snippets, if absolutely required.

I know, I know. Just messing with ya.

-Rob
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the fact that OCR, as far as I know, only works with scanners, which Chris does not have.
man_traic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have access to pro grade scanners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: