Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 pm

lost tunes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucky wrote:
The NSFE for Adventures in the Magic Kingdom not only backs up track 9 being unused, but also claims that track 14 is unknown too. It sounds an awful lot like it'd be credits music though, so this might be yet another game to play through and find out. Wink

Magic Kingdom doesn't have credits.
bucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess that explains that! Hahah, thanks.

And yes the Hebereke track is unused, I found this thread here-
http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4326
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
bucky wrote:
The NSFE for Adventures in the Magic Kingdom not only backs up track 9 being unused, but also claims that track 14 is unknown too. It sounds an awful lot like it'd be credits music though, so this might be yet another game to play through and find out. :wink:

If I remember correctly, the Mickey Mouse Club theme plays during the ending.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Mega Man 3 ending music, it can be heard in full in-game but you have to use a trick to do so. I think you should still consider it to be a "lost" tune.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lost tunes? Reply with quote

bucky wrote:
River City Ransom (several tracks)

Just curious, have you checked the NSF from the Japanese version, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari? It's kinda assumed that the US version was based on a different build than the Japanese game, so there could be some different tracks buried in there.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

The NSFE refers to that Hebereke track as "Darkness Cometh". I'm not familiar with the game but I'll give it a play through and see if I can find it. After looking it up I'm surprised I haven't played it yet, it looks incredible. I didn't think I'd really discover any "new" awesome NES games at this point...

The NSFE creator should of used my ''Takusan Hebereke CD'' I translated the unused track's name. It is actually named ''Parallel Hebereke'' according to my CD after I translated it!

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
The existing NSFE for Journey to Silius also refers to those two tracks as "Fanfare 1" and "Fanfare 3". Who knows if that's just the tagger coming up with names for something he didn't find, though. I've never played through the whole thing so I think I'll do that as well to double check. I know that none of the shorter tracks are in the sound test, at least.

These two could have been alternate death/game over songs

They could have been used in the prototype, as it supposed to be an Terminator game. But it was where it is today due to sunsoft losing the Terminator movie licence.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: lost tunes? Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
bucky wrote:
River City Ransom (several tracks)

Just curious, have you checked the NSF from the Japanese version, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari? It's kinda assumed that the US version was based on a different build than the Japanese game, so there could be some different tracks buried in there.

Assumed by whom? I've never heard of that. Either way, someone would have to rip an NSF from DNM first. Presumably no one has because it's pretty much the same game apart from the Americanization.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Skrybe mentions it, wasn't there some unused graphics in RCR that weren't in the Japanese version? That might be the reason for such suspicion.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's those unused graphics unique to the US version, and also the additional difficulty setting only found in the Japanese version. Johnny Undaunted talks about it briefly here, though I recall it first being suggested years ago at Sardius' board.

There's also mention of those unused RCR music tracks in that linked thread.
Dais

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some assorted bits and bobs...

Ununsed music on game albums from games you might've heard of:

The Rockman X 1~6 music collection features six unused tracks from Megaman X5 on disc four (3, 2, 1, liftoff!

The *deep breath* Estpolis - Game Sound Legend Consumer Series Biography Estpolis Sound Track features six unused tracks from Lufia: The Legend Returns (the GBC one). You can hear them in the GBS on Kingshriek's site (tracks 18, 29, 33, 36, 39, and 61)

Tracks 17-19 on the Recca '92 OST were unused tracks apparently in the game itself. Tracks 16, 17 and 40 on the NSF at Zophar's Domain.

Assorted emulated music sets I have sitting around with files marked "unused":
Space Station Silicon Valley
Shadowgate 64
Eiyuu Densetsu (Genesis version, music is some known songs from other versions I believe)
Sonic Chaos (unused song later used for the Sunset Park Boss in Triple Trouble)
Metroid Fusion (Unused 2 sounds familiar, though)
Universal Soldier Genesis (includes some of the original Turrican 2 music)
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (versions of LTTP title fanfare and the Lost Woods theme from 64)

Also, just because I was passing by it while poking around, here's the wonderfully screwy unused second last boss theme from Phantom Dust:
Untitled

Oh, almost forgot to mention. There's two rather notable songs in the FFVIII demo that didn't make the final game:
Rad on Dollet
Original version of "The Landing". Presumably changed due to the fact that it sounds like it's copied directly from the movie "The Rock"

The Prelude
Funky remix of the recurring theme. I'm 99% sure it's not in the final game.

(there's also a fun song never used outside of a trailer, but that's outside the scope of this topic)
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
There's also mention of those unused RCR music tracks in that linked thread.

Sweet, that confirms my suspicions on one of the tracks. One just really sounds like it'd be the ending music, good to know that that's what it was meant to be for sure.

I've played through Recca and I can also say that I don't remember those tracks.

On nesdev someone also pointed out that Track 1 of the Tetris (Nintendo version) nsf is unused, and the NSFE also agrees to that.

Hamtaro126 wrote:
bucky wrote:

The NSFE refers to that Hebereke track as "Darkness Cometh". I'm not familiar with the game but I'll give it a play through and see if I can find it. After looking it up I'm surprised I haven't played it yet, it looks incredible. I didn't think I'd really discover any "new" awesome NES games at this point...

The NSFE creator should of used my ''Takusan Hebereke CD'' I translated the unused track's name. It is actually named ''Parallel Hebereke'' according to my CD after I translated it!

Good work on the translation, thanks. We'll be sure to call it that. Smile
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
bucky wrote:
The NSFE for Adventures in the Magic Kingdom not only backs up track 9 being unused, but also claims that track 14 is unknown too. It sounds an awful lot like it'd be credits music though, so this might be yet another game to play through and find out. :wink:

Incidentally, Magic Kingdom was (according to text strings in the ROM) coded by "Bamboo." The exact text string, if I'm remembering correctly, is:

ADVENTURE IN MAGIC KINGDOM BY BAMBOO

SATURDAY MORNING IS MORNING SALAD

There is also some weird hidden text that implies that the player was shrunken down by a pirate curse or something, an unused cat sprite, and the aforementioned music that was likely used in a scrapped Jungle Cruise stage. If you want to talk to the producer, let me know, she produced Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers also.
GDRI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
The exact text string, if I'm remembering correctly, is:

ADVENTURE IN MAGIC KINGDOM BY BAMBOO

I can't find it, but I guess that's the final nail in the coffin as far as the idea Make Software might have had something to do with it is concerned.

TheRedEye wrote:
If you want to talk to the producer, let me know, she produced Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers also.

Did you interview her before or something?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I just checked the ROM, and these are all the unused text strings:

Code:
[text 1]
ADVENTURE IN
MAGIC KINGDOM
     BY BAMBOO
[page break]
TENTIWOKURAU WO
YOROSIKU!!!
[page break]
SATURDAY'S
 MORNING IS
MORNING SALAD
[end of text 1]
[text 2]
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
BBCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
CCCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
DDDDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
[page break]
EEEEEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
[end of text 2]

These were obviously used to test the dialog boxes, but I'm curious as to what "TENTIWOKURAU WO YOROSIKU!!!" (and that wacky Saturday morning line) means...
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TENTIWOKURAU WO YOROSIKU!!!" = Tenchi wo Kurau wo yoroshiku!

I guess this could roughly translate out to "Please remember to play Dynasty Wars!!!"
GDRI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B00daW wrote:
"TENTIWOKURAU WO YOROSIKU!!!" = Tenchi wo Kurau wo yoroshiku!

Could be referring to the FC/NES version (Destiny of an Emperor)...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Did you interview her before or something?

Yes, she was the first person I ever interviewed.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now one of the NESplayer.com staff has found the ''The Adventures of the Magic Kingdom'' Prototype.

Seriously! Go to:
http://www.nesplayer.com/features/disney/proto.htm
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye, whatever happened to that Magic Kingdom proto you started to review years ago? I don't think it was finished, and no ROM. Sold to the guy in the previous link?
(eh, scratch that. Maybe I just missed the link back then. I see the XXX :D proto is in the GoodNES set.)
(I remember there being a few f-bombs in the screens. Were they photoshopped, or were Capcom's devs just bored?)
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Yes, she was the first person I ever interviewed.

Who is this person? Is the interview available anywhere? Can you get me in touch with her?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: