Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 pm

lost tunes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Other HKW oddities:
- someone once mentioned that the code looked like it had been run through a Z80 -> 6502 converter (the Z80 being the GB's CPU)

Yeah, that was probably me. A while back when I spent some time making cheat codes for Hello Kitty World, I had a hard time, because the game code would load a variable from RAM, save it to an often-reused zero-page location, modify it, then save it back to RAM. Oftentimes the game logic worked only on variables in ZP, not when they were residing in RAM. So from this I imagined they had done a conversion from Z-80 logic and code, with some ZP location acting as a replacement for the (HL) reading/writing CPU style.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
BMF54123 wrote:
Track 4 in HKW = track 1 in NWC, aside from the first 7 notes (the SMB theme).

Oh, I thought it was Magic Kingdom and HKW. Pfff...

Hirokazu Tanaka was the sound programmer on HKW, if that means anything. GB Balloon Kid and HKW were developed by the same people (Pax Softonica? Programmer Takayuki Onodera won't answer my e-mails).

Hmmm, I wonder ifit is safe to say that Hip Taaka did the NWC intermission music too, then. Very interesting.

-Rob
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder ifit is safe to say that Hip Taaka did the NWC intermission music too, then. Very interesting.

The site ArnoldRimmer83 linked to says Koji Kondo did it.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may just be basing that on the fact that it uses the first 7 notes of the SMB theme. Lots of Mario games' soundtracks include the SMB theme in whole or in part, but it doesn't necessarily mean Kondo composed them all (example: Super Mario RPG).
bucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NSFE refers to tracks 19-23 of Wizards and Warriors 3 as "unknown"...
Kiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse this minor tangent, but I recently got a clip here which is a good example of "Lost" Satellaview Audio:

http://satellablog.blogspot.com/2008/10/listen-to-bs-fire-emblem-audio-samples.html

Some songs and voice acting segments from BS Fire Emblem which are not in the ROM data.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the sound quality is quite good in those samples... Any ideas of where they got them from?
man_traic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a 20th century fox theme in the alien 3 genesis rom thoug i think ive lost the par code to get it
Kiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
Hey, the sound quality is quite good in those samples... Any ideas of where they got them from?

With my really crappy translation of the NicoNicoDouga video description, I'm given the idea they were home-recorded, likely from the original broadcasts (The uploader apparently cut out the segments that did not sound as high in quality, although I think this is a bummer and I'd love to hear the whole thing regardless.)
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I completely forgot about this site:
http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/oddities27.html

You'll notice that a couple of the entries are credited to me, haha. For NES stuff I hadn't yet found/ listed, it includes 1 track from AD&D: HotL, Kirby's Adventure, and Zanac. There's some good stuff there but we'll have something more thorough.

Anywho, I now have mp3s ripped for everything listed -here-, and will soon get started on an accompanying text file that shares as much information on each track as possible. Once that's all set I'll post a zip here and then Frank can do what he wants with it all. Smile

And once that's tackled I'll feel less daunted to start compiling lists of unused tracks from other systems (already seen several in this thread and others).
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Zanac track is actually used, but its pretty well hidden. I can't take credit for finding it, as it was Blitzwing who told me about it years ago. If you're reading this Blitz, thanks.

To get it, you have to get to area 10, destroy the first mini boss you come up to. After its killed and the bonus score is displayed, make sure to hold down the select button until the music starts up again. It should start playing that track instead of the standard area 10 theme. You have to do this each time you destroy a boss in that level to keep that music playing. I don't know if it works on any other stage, as I haven't fully tested it.

I have no idea why it was hidden like that. Guess it was meant to be an easter egg. There's also an alternate game over theme if you hold down the select button after losing your last life.
bucky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, crazy. Well we can leave that one out then!

On a similar note, I still have yet to find out if that bubble bobble track can be accessed in-game...

Earlier today I sampled tracks 11 and 12 from the batman prototype. The funny thing is that the only reason I knew about the batman prototype was because of -this thread- from a couple years back. Sparing me from playing through the game to identify the tracks, I can see it credits ArnoldRimmer83 for already doing the investigative work! Thanks man! Goes to show how handy even the most obscure knowledge posted on the internet can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: