Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:13 pm

Airball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a copy (portnoyd's i believe) was dumped a while back for preservation reasons. It may have been leaked once the other rom made the net. I thought there were 4 known carts, and i think DreamTR said they were all slightly different.

Either that, or i've gone crazy... either or...
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
I thought a copy (portnoyd's i believe) was dumped a while back for preservation reasons. It may have been leaked once the other rom made the net. I thought there were 4 known carts, and i think DreamTR said they were all slightly different.

I think it came from here: http://www.gamereproductions.com/products/Airball.html

Portnoyd's has not been dumped, that was going to happen through us (back when he used to hang out here).
hybrid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is that dump from that site
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hybrid wrote:
it is that dump from that site

And the goddamned data wasn't altered to put Retrozone's URL on this one.

I can't stand when people do that, I get malevolent and/or hostile. bunnyboy seems like a decent guy and all, but I wish he wouldn't change code, or at least release the unaltered binary for the sake of preservation.
hybrid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw "enginered by retrozone" and RETROZONE near the end of the rom by them. its disturbing to me to when they do it
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

I think it came from here: http://www.gamereproductions.com/products/Airball.html

Portnoyd's has not been dumped, that was going to happen through us (back when he used to hang out here).

Hey, is Ballz getting kickbacks from this Razz
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hybrid wrote:
i saw "enginered by retrozone" and RETROZONE near the end of the rom by them. its disturbing to me to when they do it

I'm disturbed by the fact that he replaced the original Novotrade credit with his own more than anything else. The only thing he "engineered" is the PCB the game uses, and even that is just a copy of the original Tengen hardware.

The guy's products are great, I just wish the same could be said about his ethics. :\
Necrosaro420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
hybrid wrote:

I'm disturbed by the fact that he replaced the original Novotrade credit with his own more than anything else. The only thing he "engineered" is the PCB the game uses, and even that is just a copy of the original Tengen hardware.

The guy's products are great, I just wish the same could be said about his ethics. :\

Actually, it uses standard UNROM board
hybrid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:

thats what disturbs me when i see that Novatrade should get the credit. as you said all he did was make the board and shell to the game.
Necrosaro420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

You would be correct sir!
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently a person who will remain anonymous was able to send me the original earlier "Retrozone" version. It's the same dump without the hacked logo.

Also, since the original hosting has disappeared for the "hybrid" version, I've also included that dump here as well.

(Do mind the hosting... HTTP likes to stop working after a while. Time for an Apache upgrade. Razz)
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I know this thread is ancient, but someone just recently referenced it so I figured I'd post a bit of info.

I own Port's copy now, and it has been backed up. It's very different than the builds currently floating around. Though obviously earlier, it can be beaten and has an unused controller setting option that allows for you to control the ball at diagonals or "normal" for left, right, up, and down movements. There is no difficulty option, and no matter how much air you have, you pop from one hit.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on sharing it?
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:

All the stuff I own gets released eventually, but this one is pretty low on my priorities list at the moment.
etabeta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMark0673 wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:

All the stuff I own gets released eventually, but this one is pretty low on my priorities list at the moment.

an interesting question is if it will get released as is or with any change...

I don't exactly understand why half of the later proto releases always include some cooked up data (either fixing the latest beta code, or changing logos or anything else)... why almost nobody except frank and skrybe cares about the original data, as imperfect as it might be?
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etabeta wrote:
MrMark0673 wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:

an interesting question is if it will get released as is or with any change...

I don't exactly understand why half of the later proto releases always include some cooked up data (either fixing the latest beta code, or changing logos or anything else)... why almost nobody except frank and skrybe cares about the original data, as imperfect as it might be?

Don't be a dumb ass, I've released plenty of protos of both released and unreleased NES stuff and only once added any data to the code to create something playable for people. In the last year or two there have been very few people releasing as many NES protos as my brother and I and anyone who has been following protos recently could tell you that.
etabeta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I made a mistake. I went reading a bit more nintendoage forums and I found out you're not the same guy which worked on the NA releases of edited proto.

My apologies. Seriously.

Good luck with your next releases and with proto hunting: two of the proto you released were exactly the same as the final games (Hatris and Castelian, the latter being 1:1 copy of the Euro release), but other findings were nice.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etabeta wrote:
You are right. I made a mistake. I went reading a bit more nintendoage forums and I found out you're not the same guy which worked on the NA releases of edited proto.

My apologies. Seriously.

Good luck with your next releases and with proto hunting: two of the proto you released were exactly the same as the final games (Hatris and Castelian, the latter being 1:1 copy of the Euro release), but other findings were nice.

No worries at all Smile

I'm not a huge fan of the editing in text for credit that has been done in the past either. I donated a bit to the Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch dump, but I think that is the only one I supported directly (I don't donate to any "community" dumps anymore though).

I wish Hatris were different, but I was actually happy to find out Castelian wasn't. When I first dumped it, I thought it was an NTSC copy with some minor text changes that had been corrupted, so I{ was happy to know it was a PAL copy with no changes without any bit rot.

I did have someone manipulate the code for Hoppin' Mad so the release would be a fully playable game rather than what was pretty much an incomplete 2 level demo, but in hindsight I doubt I would have even changed that. It was our first release, so there was a lot to be learned.

When I do release Chuck Yeager's Fighting Combat, I am going to have to decide if I want to release it with a minor change to the code or not. There are some graphical glitches on the title screen that I have had someone clean up for me, and in all honesty, I'd rather release that version on a cartridge. If I do, I'd mention exactly what was changed and release the original unaltered ROM to the public after the fact. Either that, or I'll just go ahead and release the unaltered version of the game as the glitching doesn't alter game play at all.

Sorry for getting defensive, my apologies.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMark0673 wrote:
I did have someone manipulate the code for Hoppin' Mad so the release would be a fully playable game rather than what was pretty much an incomplete 2 level demo, but in hindsight I doubt I would have even changed that. It was our first release, so there was a lot to be learned.

Speaking of, are you going to release the unchanged, incomplete version? Could be interesting to look at, or just to preserve as the developers left it.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I do release Chuck Yeager's Fighting Combat, I am going to have to decide if I want to release it with a minor change to the code or not. There are some graphical glitches on the title screen that I have had someone clean up for me, and in all honesty, I'd rather release that version on a cartridge. If I do, I'd mention exactly what was changed and release the original unaltered ROM to the public after the fact. Either that, or I'll just go ahead and release the unaltered version of the game as the glitching doesn't alter game play at all.

One thing BMF and I did was release the updated version with an edited titlescreen just saying "BUGFIX 1.0 12/25/07" and our names along side the original dumped version (Pescatore) just to eliminate any chance of confusion.

I'd recommend something like that here too; the original version and a fixed one with an indication that it isn't the original. Lord knows howdy doody would put it in there as hurr durr [!].
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: