Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

Moero Yakyuuken (FDS): translation help/question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenband

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Moero Yakyuuken (FDS): translation help/question Reply with quote

I was recently on a Famicom Disk System kick, and checked out the obscure FDS game Moero Yakyuuken (in its English fan-translation), aka "Emi-chan no Moero Yakyuuken", aka "エミちゃんの燃えろ 野球拳".

It's an unlicensed (Super Pig) nudie cheesecake special, of a kind typical for the FDS, albeit with the thinnest of excuses for gameplay: it's 100% rock-paper-scissors! There's a page in Japanese about it here (not safe for work), which took me quite a while to find:

http://regage.hp.infoseek.co.jp/famicom/m_yakyuken.html

Once you've won the game, you're told that "It stops here! You should look for the secret options." (I assume the text in the Japanese original is more or less the same.) It appears that the "secret options" are a code you enter to get an extra cheesecake picture, both of which (the code and the extra picture) can be found on the page I cited above.

However, I can't figure out what the code is -- I don't really understand written Japanese beyond transliterating hiragana, and the automatic translation isn't making sense of it. Can anyone translate the relevant bits (and any other codes that are on the page), so that future generations can know how to extract every last ounce of content from this piece of crap?

For some reason I've always been very amused by these sorts of games, especially pre-16-bit examples like the infamous Atari 2600 carts by Mystique. They're so wonderfully...un-titillating.

EDIT: Here's a forum post about the game in English, also NSFW:

http://playthenes.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1448
Dais

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of enabling weirdness..

I threw up my usual mix of machine translators (excite.co.jp and Google, although they may be the same service for both, I dunno), JWPce and just testing things with the ROM...

The code to see the final image (which is linked on that page, geez) has to be entered when you beat the game and the girl finishes talking, so it says GAME OVER. Then press

Code:
UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT
DOWN LEFT UP RIGHT
A
UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT
DOWN LEFT UP RIGHT
START

You can press Select to restart if you press the wrong button at some point.

As for the slow and invincibility codes above that, I think they're made by ejecting and inserting the disk (set to side A) a certain number of times (3? 7?) when it says "SET SIDE B", but I couldn't get this to work on NESTOPIA. Given how tedious it was to keep going into the menu to eject and then insert the disk, and the fact that obviously you don't need either code if you're playing via emulator, I'm not going to pursue it.

The rest of the codes are for a different unlicensed game entirely.
goldenband

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Dais! The code worked perfectly. Maybe I'll put something up at Strategywiki.

Dais wrote:
the final image (which is linked on that page, geez)

I already said that, no?

goldenband wrote:
It appears that the "secret options" are a code you enter to get an extra cheesecake picture, both of which (the code and the extra picture) can be found on the page I cited above.

Perhaps I should have been clearer about that, so you didn't have to worry about "enabling weirdness". Anyone who's rubbing one out to this game is...troubled.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find. Someone should get Spinner over here to see this, I don't think he knew how to access that screen.

For fun, try opening the translated .fds file in Notepad.
goldenband

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
For fun, try opening the translated .fds file in Notepad.

That's awesome -- in the midst of all manner of garbage characters (the compiled program code), you get:

Quote:
TRANSLATION CREDITS- GAME MODIFICATIONS- Laxidman | TRANSLATION- Moose, Celes | SCRIPT DUMP- Spinner_8 | <Laxidman> mo ero yakuen?
<Laxidman> dating sim?
<Spinner_8> ^^;;
<Spinner_8> it's, um, a strip janken game for fds
<Laxidman> hmm....
<Laxidman> HMM...
<Laxidman> is there text?
<Spinner_8> the script's been translated, but needs asm mods
<Laxidman> bwa...what does it need?
<Spinner_8> laxidman: not enough room
<Spinner_8> there's only eight characters onscreen at any one time
<Laxidman> i could play with it
<Laxidman> it'll be my first fds game i've messed with though
<Spinner_8> really?!
<Laxidman> if you want
<Spinner_8> YES
<Spinner_8> YES YES
<Spinner_8> I will send romh
<Laxidman> i shall procrasitnate on my own projects
| Project start-06/05/02
anarchy99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, 2002 was a long time ago. I can't even imagine using anime smileys anymore.

Laxidman was actually able to trace the code and let me know what it was so I could hack it in, so I do know about it, even if I don't remember what it says anymore. He also told me about the second hidden code for Sexy Derby, though I don't remember it anymore. The page you linked to has a separate page about Sexy Derby. It's interesting, even if there's no mention of either code.

I translated the sequel, Gal's Dungeon, a few weeks ago, but no one really seemed to notice. There's also a Gal's Dungeon 2 disk image that was released recently.
Dais

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenband wrote:
I already said that, no?

I may have been squinting while reading your post, or possibly crying and/or praying.

Gal's Dungeon looks kind of neat, thanks for the hard work. Reminds me of Lady Sword...and the several hundred other hentai dungeon crawlers.

Quote:
GN: Lady Sword
IGN is the ultimate Lady Sword resource for trailers, screenshots, cheats, walkthroughs, release dates, previews, reviews, soundtracks and news.

Somehow I doubt that, IGN.
goldenband

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchy99 wrote:
Laxidman was actually able to trace the code and let me know what it was so I could hack it in, so I do know about it, even if I don't remember what it says anymore.

It's just an extra little Easter-eggy kind of thing: "Thanks for playing! Keep cheering for Super Pig!"

anarchy99 wrote:
I translated the sequel, Gal's Dungeon, a few weeks ago, but no one really seemed to notice. There's also a Gal's Dungeon 2 disk image that was released recently.

Hey, thanks for your efforts on that. I wasn't familiar with GD, but I played through it (after applying the patch) and everything seems to work very well. It's much more of a full-fledged game than Emi-chan no Moero Yakyuuken -- it's almost, sorta, fun.

I'll keep an eye out for GD2. Any plans to translate it? And are there a lot of FDS games that have yet to be imaged/released?

(EDIT: I guess No-Intro has a list of sorts. It looks like GD2 was very hard to come by, so glad to hear it's been released.)

Info on the FDS is surprisingly scattered -- no one seems to have put together a definitive list of releases, differences (vs. carts), which titles are unique to the FDS, etc.

Dais wrote:
Reminds me of Lady Sword...and the several hundred other hentai dungeon crawlers.

Oh, man, I remember Lady Sword -- I think that was the first one of these I ever ran into, when I was playing a lot of PC Engine a year or two ago. There's been a translation in progress for years now, no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: