Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:11 pm

never-released MegaDrive/Genesis action-RPG: Dando / Vasum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: never-released MegaDrive/Genesis action-RPG: Dando / Vasum Reply with quote

I wanted this game sooooo bad.

Last edited by parallaxscroll on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to watch DANDO Y DANDO on Telemundo.

Actually I just watched it once.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treco made Atomic Robo Kid. I liked Atomic Robo Kid. It's not good, but I liked it.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: never-released MegaDrive/Genesis action-RPG: Dando / Va Reply with quote

parallaxscroll wrote:

Are you playgeneration, from these forums?.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was this ever slated to come out in Japan? I can't find any record of Treco developing their own games aside from some ports, so I assume Dando/Vasum came from another company, like Sammy (which founded Treco as a Genesis label) or NCS (which released the Japanese version of Treco's Sorcerer's Kingdom).
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
So was this ever slated to come out in Japan? I can't find any record of Treco developing their own games aside from some ports, so I assume Dando/Vasum came from another company, like Sammy (which founded Treco as a Genesis label) or NCS (which released the Japanese version of Treco's Sorcerer's Kingdom).

All I know is, it was developed by Treco, not by another company, although I suppose it's possible, but no evidence suggests otherwise. However if Sammy founded Treco as a label then that I could understand.

Dando/Vasum was slated to come out in both Japan and the U.S., but ended up not coming out anywhere.
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: never-released MegaDrive/Genesis action-RPG: Dando / Va Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
parallaxscroll wrote:

Are you playgeneration, from these forums?.

Nope. However I am GigaDrive on AssemblerGames.com

I just found that Sega16bit forum yesterday and posted the same stuff there since they were talking about Dando and other unreleased games.

Obviously he found the my old scans and used them, which is fine.
moondancin'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty awesome. I like how they have an overhead world map with side-view towns and dungeons.
parallaxscroll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add this one, from a later EGM, when the game was then known as Vasum.

GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El bumpo...

I was doing a search and come upon composer Katsuhiro Hayashi's profile. Among the games he worked on was a Mega Drive game for "Nihon/Nippon Aicom" called "ダムド." I think "ダムド" (damudo) is "Dando."

It all makes sense. Dando looks similar to Astyanax and Legendary Axe. Aicom did Astyanax (AC) and appears to have been involved with Legendary Axe. And Treco and Aicom were both owned by Sammy.
Dais

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, has there ever been a group effort (that someone here is aware of) to comb composer profiles for unreleased games? They somehow seem more likely to have lists of things they've worked on (or have a webpage period) than artists, programmers, designers, etcetra.

I should take a second look at Barry Leitch's site. He wrote (and confirmed in an email quite some time ago) that he wrote the score for an unreleased Megadrive version of Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire - a rather interesting concept in several ways, since:

1. the SNES version of Savage Empire was made by a Western team but only released in Japan (it's basically a reskinning of the Ultima 7 SNES port, with mostly the same staff....come to think, I beat the game and I don't remember any Japanese/translation credits whatsoever)

2. the only other Ultima game released for a Sega system was Ultima IV for SMS five years earlier

3. Pony Canyon/FCI, the main Japanese distributor of Ultima products until EA took over, only published one game on a Sega system (Eye of the Beholder on SCD.....although there was some Saturn snowboarding game, but that's like a double dose of don't care)

I suppose I should see if Leitch has any other info on canceled games. Although I think I'm still afraid he'll somehow pressure me into admitting I'm not particularly fond of the work of his I heard.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dais wrote:
Come to think of it, has there ever been a group effort (that someone here is aware of) to comb composer profiles for unreleased games? They somehow seem more likely to have lists of things they've worked on (or have a webpage period) than artists, programmers, designers, etcetra.

GDRI looks at them as we come across them. Off the top of my head, Hitoshi Sakimoto has some unreleased stuff listed. Masahiro Kajiwara (Kajihara) has a Mega Drive game from "Jordan/Sega" (Jordan being Jorudan) listed with no title.

Note that "Jordan/Sega" is also listed for Task Force Harrier EX, published by Treco. I think the unknown title might be Altein.

What is Altein? It's a Mega Drive game that was supposed to be released by Treco, and it's actually mentioned at the end of the Japanese version of Task Force Harrier EX ("SEE YOU AGAIN IN [ ALTEIN ]").

I recently came across a guy who worked at Aicom/Sammy on such games as A.B. Cop and Viewpoint. He has a site with a bunch of old gaming stuff. He has a page about Altein, complete with a print ad and a write-up.

He also has a page about Treco in general (a Sammy label, he says), with short write-ups on each title INCLUDING the unreleased Vasome and Altein. It sounds like he had a chance to play both, but I'm not sure.

Dais wrote:
1. the SNES version of Savage Empire was made by a Western team but only released in Japan (it's basically a reskinning of the Ultima 7 SNES port, with mostly the same staff....come to think, I beat the game and I don't remember any Japanese/translation credits whatsoever)

Moby Games has credits for SFC Savage Empire and SNES Ultima VII. Both appear to be by Origin.

Dais wrote:
3. Pony Canyon/FCI, the main Japanese distributor of Ultima products until EA took over, only published one game on a Sega system (Eye of the Beholder on SCD.....although there was some Saturn snowboarding game, but that's like a double dose of don't care)

Zap! Snowboarding Trix and Zap! Snowboarding Trix '98. Pony Canyon also released a couple of Legend of K-1 discs for the Saturn. Not games, just pictures and whatnot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: