Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

Devil Buster (MD), Polygon Golf, Wolf Soldier (MCD)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Devil Buster (MD), Polygon Golf, Wolf Soldier (MCD) Reply with quote

I came across a most fascinating (Japanese) blog post early this Christmas morning. Apparently, the magazine Beep! Mega Drive included a special supplement with its April 1993 issue called "SIMS Eight," covering some of that company's latest titles. The poster took pictures of the front and back covers and the inside pages. Among the titles featured are Out Run 2019 (MD), Shin Megami Tensei (MCD), and Vay (MCD). The most interesting game, however, is the Megami Tensei-inspired Devil Buster for the Mega Drive, which was never released. There are lots of screenshots to ogle. It looks like it was pretty far along in development, if not mostly finished. You will also see single screenshots of Polygon Golf (which I had not heard of before) and Ookami Hei (Wolf Soldier) for the Mega CD, both of which were also not released, and an interview with then-SIMS president Mamoru Shigeta.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would've been weird having an action platformer entry in the Megami Tensei series. Really nice find.
GDRI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
That would've been weird having an action platformer entry in the Megami Tensei series. Really nice find.

I wonder if there were some Megami Tensei fans at SIMS. I'm only deciphering what an online translator's giving me, but I think the poster is saying that Shigeta said that he was interested in porting SMTII.

And as for Ookami Hei, it actually says "Ookami Hei (working title) (Ranpin)." I'm assuming Ookami Hei (or Wolf Soldier) was the working title, but what is Ranpin? Another title?
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only guess on "Ranpin" is that it's some sort of subtitle.
Dais

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man I want Devil Buster so much :(

according to Gamengai, the Goodbye Soft Catalogue lists a similar-sounding SIMS game as "Ranpin", so it was probably the previous working title.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these two screens of Devil "Buster's" in the April 1993 issue of GameFan. The shots were almost certainly scanned from a Japanese mag, but I don't see them in that SIMS special booklet.

This is exactly the sort of old 2-D action game I go for. Maybe it'll come out on the iPhone like Vay did.

Edit: Note that I didn't cut the text off. That's just how GameFan was.

Last edited by Kid Fenris on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Even though the story is too evil to tell, it looks like we're in for one awesome action"

Wow.
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, it seems like it was written at times by someone who did those atrocious Japanese->English translations from back in the day.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the screens, Kid Fenris. Looks like it was pretty much done. It'd be a shame if a beta didn't exist somewhere.

My Hertz contact says they did a golf game that was never released. It was probably Polygon Golf. For the MD and MCD, Hertz also developed Out Run, Out Run 2019, Tecmo World Cup, Dynamite Duke, and Vay.
kaboro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an article with game screenshots from another japanese mag, Mega Drive Fan, March 1993 issue. The release date was unknown at that time according to this mag.
I didnt know the game was never released, its a shame Sad
[/img][IMG=http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8084/dscn01it2.jpg][/IMG]
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's where Gamefan got those screenshots.

Am I wrong, or do the characters not have real names? The robotic guy is just called POWERED SUITS on the character-select screen and in the magazine's writeup, while the woman is [something] FIGHTER, and the winged dude is [something] WARRIOR.
kaboro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they dont have a name, its powered suits, devil warrior and element fighter on the character select.
Ironically their pets seem to have a name, Element Fighter's pet is the lightning elemental Nue, Devil Warrior's pet is the demon Axel and the Powered Suits' pet is Cannon.
Christuserloeser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaboro wrote:
This is an article with game screenshots from another japanese mag, Mega Drive Fan, March 1993 issue. The release date was unknown at that time according to this mag.
I didnt know the game was never released, its a shame Sad

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8084/dscn01it2.jpg

Omg, this makes me drool all over the place. There got to be a way to contact someone that was involved in the project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: