Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm

The Mask (GEN/SNES) - Prototype Scans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Syd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: The Mask (GEN/SNES) - Prototype Scans Reply with quote

The Mask - Prototype Screenshots & Info

Page 01

Page 02

Ad Page

* (Sorry but Photobucket capped my image sizes, message me if you want the higher resolution scans for personal use.)

I found this article in a movie magazine specifically based around The Mask movie adaption, but it also covered things involving the actors, CGI, the comic that inspired the movie and lastly, the game.

These screenshots and the final release of the game differ quite drastically, and although it has been a while since I've played the game and likely that a lot of other people dismissed this game entirely, I'll do my best to make relevant notes on the changes below:

-Blackpearl Software developed the game, no mention of them in the article... maybe after the game started going in the wrong direction they took over?

-release on the Sega Genesis? Denied.

-health meter is a series of facial expressions, while the health meter is numerical in actual game.

-The Mask's sprite is completely different in shape, color and design, almost as if this build was completely dismissed and recreated from the ground up.

** Visually, I find this the most interesting because it looked like it was going to play more like a brawler than the platformer it turned out to be.

-all of the screenshots' backgrounds are not used anywhere in the final version of the game.

-unused abilities; The Mask has no low-kick, or a (strange-looking) gun that fires projectiles in the game and the mallet is a different color (and pose) but the tornado's design might of been used in the game.

-some of the enemies in the screen shots I think are actually still in the game, but could be edited a bit in the release; the man with the gun by the bank vault is likely not in the final release though.

-a few promises were kept in the article, such as the Coco Bongo Dance Scene adaption and the digitized voice sample while others were not, the bit about the extensive armory; anvils, kitchen sinks, neither are found in the game... but this also comes off as just some sort of rambling you might expect from these one of these articles.

*** I recall seeing level maps and a review of this game in Nintendo Power ages ago, in the Edge City Landfill stage it has a ton of police cars and spoke of fighting off cops as the boss(es) of the stage - but I think they were axed from the final version and you actually end up fighting a shifty looking dude with a super-charged leaf blower that he uses to jet around the screen, if anyone has the screen shots of these feel free to throw them into this topic as I guess it's relevant to the game and the changes it has gone through?

Man... how do I always end up presenting info on the cheesiest games here?
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always thought Black Pearl was just a short-lived alias of THQ.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview with lead programmer/lead designer Matt Harmon. He talks about a few unreleased games, including the Genesis adaptation of It Came From the Desert, the ROM of which is now freely available from the website of Cinemaware (who designed the original game).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: