Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 am

`So....what happened with BoyxBlob DS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dais

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: `So....what happened with BoyxBlob DS? Reply with quote

I realize it probably doesn't fall under the heading of "lost treasure", but what happened to the DS incarnation of A Boy and His Blob, besides cancellation? How far into development was the game? Was that screenshot an early mock-up or actual engine-at-work? What brought the axe down at last?

The same goes for the GBA entry in the series - what happened to it? Does it exist in some form? And so on.

Redeye said David Crane personally told him the DS version was cancelled - if you're passing by, sir, can you say if you were told more about this, and if it can be disclosed?

Actually, it'd be ideal if I could talk about this with David Crane himself, but:

1. I practically internet-piss myself when talking to (or trying to talk to) famous people
2. I would spend the entire conversation trying to convince him to turn [x game he worked on] into [y absurd new property that panders to the worst in gaming]

Also I just noticed that one of you is very strange. That's all I'll say, for fear of causing trouble.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the strange person? I want to be strange!

Boy and his Blob DS was cancelled because it was shit. What more do you want to know?
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dais, I once got an email back from Tom Servo and had an existential crisis.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked David Crane. You're welcome.

Quote:
A Boy and His Blob is not being actively worked on at present. The license is owned by Majesco, and for a time I was working on the game through Skyworks. But changes at Majesco have put the game on hold indefinitely.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a kinda-sorta disappointment, because the original was decent enough, but not one of my fave NES games. My sleeper fave is easily Nightshade. That would have been fun, a Nightshade sequel.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the DS game, its cancellation is pretty much the opposite of disappointment.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173061
Is it being resurrected for the Wii, or is this likely to be a different game?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that artwork doesn't look nearly as horrific as the DS one, so hopefully its being redone from scratch.

EDIT: I saw a link to the article in Nintendo Power. Wayforward (Shantae, Contra 4) is making the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/03/a-boy-and-his-blob-detailed-in-latest-nintendo-power/

The visuals look a thousand times better than the abysmal DS remake did. This just might end up being pretty good.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand this is a completely different, ground up game, that has nothing in common with the DS title other than it's name.

DS screen:

Wii screen:
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamTR (I think, sorry, it's been a while, and there was a DP thread some time back) said that after playing through a proto that the game was horrible and was canceled because it sucked mega balls and wasn't going to get better any time soon.

-Rob

Almost forgot...

TheRedEye wrote:
I asked David Crane. You're welcome.

Quote:
A Boy and His Blob is not being actively worked on at present. The license is owned by Majesco, and for a time I was working on the game through Skyworks. But changes at Majesco have put the game on hold indefinitely.

In 1997 I found a Activision style VCS proto labeled:

Activision Presents
Pitfall III: Harry's Last Adventure
privet (sic) property Acvtivision 1986
USE JOYSTICK CONTROLLERS
designed by Carol Shaw
Prototype AX-977

It was found for 25 cents at a local mom and pop yard sale. They knew nothing about the cart at all and didn't care. The cart inside was a Pac-Man board that didn't work. It had a cut line that I bridged to get Pac-Man working again.

Now, I know you are thinking it is an obvious hoax. Possibly true, but the people I got it from had no reasons for this, didn't know me, and collecting was basically non-existent for games back then. That, and I was (am?) the only known collector in the area.

Perhaps you could ask him about this? He probably wouldn't know jack even if it was real. Anyone have Ms. Shaw's contact info?
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Perhaps you could ask him about this? He probably wouldn't know jack even if it was real. Anyone have Ms. Shaw's contact info?

Ms. Shaw used to be at carol.com, but that is now a health site.

Years ago, someone planted a fake Pitfall III: Harriet's Quest in a thrift store.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me the rom for the DS version of blob was leaked out there, anybody confirm?
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
rbudrick wrote:

Ms. Shaw used to be at carol.com, but that is now a health site.

Years ago, someone planted a fake Pitfall III: Harriet's Quest in a thrift store.

Yep, I knew about that. Totally different, though.

-Rob
DarkFalzX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at other Skyworks-developed games, you pretty much have the idea about the quality of BahB DS. The rumors that the game "was complete but was shelved" are baseless - last I saw, only 4-5 of the simplest beans were implemented, and most levels were empty shells. Oh, yeah - and even in the "finished" levels it was possibly one of the ugliest, most boring games I've ever seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: