Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Renovation Products

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Renovation Products Reply with quote

I dug up some information about Renovation Products, a company that released games in the early 90s before being purchased by Sega. Before they went under, there were several games that they planned that were never released. This is the results of my research. I don't know if there is any more info that will be found. I hope to eventually make this kind of listing for all companies, but that will take time.

http://snescentral.edgeemu.com/companies/Renovation_Products.txt
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomsday Warrior sounds a LOT like a SNES fighting game...

Actually, it -was- released. O_o
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renovation was just a domestic publisher of foreign game releases. All of these titles are released, just never translated, localized or released in the US. There's nothing particularly "lost" about these games; all you need to do to play them is to import them.

Renovation was probably my favorite Genesis game publisher when the system was still actively developed for. Huge props for bringing over Gaiares and so many Wolfteam games (and Motoi Sakuraba-composed scores).
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More specifically, Dream Probe was scheduled about spring 1993. I scanned in a review by EGM (May 1993 issue). They gave it 5's and 6's.
(I found the scan. It says availability "Now", so then the game must have been scheduled for release very close to then).
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Doomsday Warrior was released, as it is pointed out in my list.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they had planned a few releases for the SNES and I've played Dream Probe before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among Renovation's ditched SNES projects, I find The Journey Home the most interesting. From what I've played of the Japanese version, it's a decent little game that would have fit right in with Secret of Mana and the first Lufia. It’s also the only game on the list that needs a translation to be fully enjoyed.

Here's the Nintendo Power review:

http://www.kidfenris.com/npjourneyhome2.jpg

I'm not sure if there are prototypes out there, but someone put together an English text patch for the Neugier ROM, so it's kind of a moot point.

Is it just me, or did Renovation fall apart after 1993? All of their SNES titles were canceled in early 1994, and their last release for a Sega system was apparently 1993's Time Gal.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats even more intresting is this: Nintendo's self-published guide to every SNES game released (up to the date of publication, 1993) , "Official Super NES Game Guide" has reviews and screenshots of every Renovation game, Dream Probe, Arcus Oddyssey, Doomsday Warrior, and The Journey Home, even.

According to the guide, Dream Probe was released in Sept. 1993,
Doomsday Warrior was released in March 1993, and both Arcus Odyssey and The Journey Home were released in November 1993.

I can provide scans of the book if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Renovation. Yeah Smeg, they brought a lot of Mega Drive games stateside that would have never made it here otherwise. Renovation didn't strike me as particularly censor-happy either, which is always a good thing.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
Renovation didn't strike me as particularly censor-happy either, which is always a good thing.

Well they did make some awful replacement package art, and at least in Gaiares' case there was censorship involved (although understandably so).
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Well they did make some awful replacement package art, and at least in Gaiares' case there was censorship involved (although understandably so).

Please explain, kind sir. :)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: