Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 pm

Exerion II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnphase wrote:
however i think a simple line of praise such as that might be a very appropriate nod to the original authors who worked so diligently with the code and brought their ideas, their creations, to life.

agreed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one personally hate the entire title editing shit. Seriously, I love that these games are getting released, but the whole "If the rom is edited, my copy is worth more" bullshit is bullshit. Just because you edit the rom and change a sprite here and there, doesnt mean your game is worth anymore. Its the same fucking game, with a sprite or two added or changed. I feel you have no right at all to edit the title screen and add your name into it, as you did not help create the game, nor really do you legally have any right to do this. But hey, I guess thats the NA community for ya, they all think they are "holier than thou" over there to begin with anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
This arguement is stale and old, and it boggles the mind that people don't seem to realize wtf is going on, or why people are upset. Myself, I find the corruption of pieces of history to be just disgusting. And the fact that people are being charged the amount that they are so they can get a HACKED, NON-ORIGINAL, CORRUPTED piece of data, while these collectors laugh their ass off all the way to the bank. Not only did they receive a shitload of money for a corrupted rom, but they still have the original, which they are (in their minds) retaining the value of the original. It's selfish, and it's greedy. Bottom line. And before we get to the stale, stale, stale arguement of U GET GAME 4 FREE U R SELFISH I'll state again, I could give a fuck less if any of these games come out. As long as they are dumped and preserved, I'm a happy motherfucker.

Hold the presses, we have a winner! I was actually getting ready to post this exact same thing before I read this post =)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of the minds we have on this board, why not do this. The games that are edited, why not unedit them and release them here? There are screenshots of almost every game out there floating around im sure. Why not just have an editor here change them back to the original and send them out to the ones that want to preserve the real thing, and not a bad copy of the real thing?
LocalH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I agree with your points and all, but couldn't that have been done in one post?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered User wrote:
With all of the minds we have on this board, why not do this. The games that are edited, why not unedit them and release them here? There are screenshots of almost every game out there floating around im sure. Why not just have an editor here change them back to the original and send them out to the ones that want to preserve the real thing, and not a bad copy of the real thing?

Because we're not gigantic dicks that cause internet drama for no reason, and we don't believe creating yet another hack is any kind of solution.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One copy is better than no copy. And one copy is better than a gazillion different "edits". How many half-assed "Super Mario Bros. 2 -> Doki Doki Panic" restoration patches have people been making? (and that's in a case where both games, in their full 1:1 glory exist out there)

Anyway. on the whole preservation 1:1 release front and stuff...

There's something that I'm almost about to miss out on some good sleep over thanks to my lack of answers to, so let's jump into a couple of very super fictive situations, let's assume:

Situation A: There's a totally unreleased title, long gone and forgotten by time. Probably no real harm in a release. It's out there in the hands of an individual. What stands between him and a release is paranoia and over a digital signature/watermark of sorts. Major changes has to be applied to the game to remove said "watermark" in order to release it (+ removing the watermark makes it slightly more enjoyable/presentable, as it's not constantly covered in it during gameplay and gameplay's not interrupted by the reminders of its existence)

What about such a scenario? What do the perfectionists say here?

Situation B: There's an early version of a title. Nothing recent, but mostly forgotten by time. Probably no real harm in a release. It's out there and in the hands of an individual. What stands between him and a release is the fact that it's simply not enjoyable/presentable as it is broken. Not incomplete, but broken. Data has been corrupted somehow. This person will not release unless it's fixed pre-release. Is it somehow supposed to be a "community event" to go on a treasure hunt to fix that broken data? Or should it be released all corrupted and unusable to 99.99% of those who may download it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:

Because we're not gigantic dicks that cause internet drama for no reason, and we don't believe creating yet another hack is any kind of solution.

What im saying is, if people are bitching about the titles being edited, view screenshots of the original on the net, and change that back to the original, unedited version.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered User wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:

What im saying is, if people are bitching about the titles being edited, view screenshots of the original on the net, and change that back to the original, unedited version.

So it's then a hack of a hack. Brilliant.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:

I just had such a great vision!

Let me share; If you fantranslate a game from Japanese to English, someone would have to translate it back to Japanese! Bear with me... Then the next person to fantranslate the game can pick between the Original Japanese or the English->Japanese translation, to then truly get the most epic English fantranslation by using the superior of the two alternatives!
handofg0d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had such a great vision!

Let me share; If you fantranslate a game from Japanese to English, someone would have to translate it back to Japanese! Bear with me... Then the next person to fantranslate the game can pick between the Original Japanese or the English->Japanese translation, to then truly get the most epic English fantranslation by using the superior of the two alternatives![/quote]

Why stop at Jap->Eng->Jap?

Why not Jap->Eng->Spanish->Italian->Jap->Eng

Surely the final version would be the most accurate 1:1 reflection of what the original author intended.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:

Not really. Its kinda like a clean floor...the floor is clean, you spill shit on it, its a dirty floor, but you sweep it up, its a clean floor. Your just putting it back to its original state. Thats not a hack.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered User wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Registered User wrote:

Not really. Its kinda like a clean floor...the floor is clean, you spill shit on it, its a dirty floor, but you sweep it up, its a clean floor. Your just putting it back to its original state. Thats not a hack.

It's more like painting.
Someone paints their green house blue, and you try to pain it green again. But since there's a layer of blue beneath it, chances are that even if you did pick the right shade of green, it's still not the same green as it was before.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:

It's more like painting.
Someone paints their green house blue, and you try to pain it green again. But since there's a layer of blue beneath it, chances are that even if you did pick the right shade of green, it's still not the same green as it was before.

This. The whole point of releasing things the way preservationists do it is to have the original, unmodified data. A hack that looks more like the original is still a hack, and thus just as pointless for preservation and archival purposes.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered User wrote:

Take the Mike Tyson Punch Out 2 for example. The edited text is on the title screen, they took a debug message out of the game and put in the release info instead. Since nobody has any idea what the original text said, what exactly do you put in there to "restore" it?

And without the original, how on earth do you know it's accurate? If i were to release a rom like that, i would make sure i changed something insignificant, like a variable name. The player would never know the difference, but if a "different" copy ever shows up, i could tell right away if it's a hack of the rom i released, or if it's an actual new cart that was discovered.

And of course without the original rom image, nobody would ever know i changed anything.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think we know the correct year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet the original text for Exerion was LICENSED BY NINTENDO since this was apparently a US proto.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Well, I don't think we know the correct year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet the original text for Exerion was LICENSED BY NINTENDO since this was apparently a US proto.

If it was set for US release it would be LICENSED BY NINTENDO OF AMERICA more likely.

Better make hacks for both scenarios, just in case!
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE in this thread deserves to be slapped for taking this shit way too serious. But I'm not sure which side of the argument to start grabbing people from to form a "to be slapped" line.

Christ, I'm not even going to begin...
linlhutz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

We could just make a hack for every year the console existed. At worst we have 8 or 9 new [b] dumps for the next GoodNES. We can't get enough of those.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give my middle nut for a good title screen hack proto of Predator. Where's kap's nude Predator pic when you need it. Tarn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: