Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

Bills Tomato Game MegaDrive Version: Unreleased - On eBay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikedog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Bills Tomato Game MegaDrive Version: Unreleased - On eBay Reply with quote

*EDIT* Now on eBay! : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=280374345642 *EDIT*

Hey everyone,

New user here and I have literally signed up to the site to seek some advice.

I managed to come across what I believe to be an unreleased title for the SEGA Mega Drive. It is on what appears to be a test cartridge from Psygnosis. After booting up you can see the title screen says "Bill's Tomato Game" and as far as I can find on the net this game was never released on the Mega Drive, only the Amiga.

However beyond these facts I really couldn't find any more information about the game, it seems either no one has another copy or no one cares about it. Smile

Anyway I was pointed this way and to another couple of forums to seek advice. I will be honest, I am not a collector and only realised the potential value of this game due to the fact I work in the industry. I would rather the game go to a real collector so it will probably end up on eBay or the like. However i wanted to find out as much as I could first.

It was originally on eBay under my fathers account hence the pictures with the eBay watermark however I plan to take some better ones along with some videos if people would like. (It has since been taken off eBay btw)

So yea if you have any info or could point me in the direction of someone who may have that would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

- spikedog

[/img]

Last edited by spikedog on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
drx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A few things of interest about the cartridge.

The cartridge isn't a usual Megadrive prototype, it's a flash cart. These were made by Psygnosis later in the MD dev, around 1994 and on. This means that the Megadrive version was a port.

Are you looking to sell it? If you're not strapped for cash, you could think about preserving it in some way, like releasing the cart's contents so it doesn't die some day. I could assist in that, I have the proper MD equipment.

If you're not into that, and you're just looking for a buyer, I guess I can assist with that too. You will probably find a buyer just fine, but I can offer something like a community release. The way it would work, we would get some people together and pay for you to relinquish the cart and release the contents while compensating you. I've done this many times on my website (link is in my profile, sorry for the plug guys), and it has worked very well before.

These are just some options, let me know if you need my help in anything. MD is kinda my thing, so I have a lot of this stuff...

Any way you choose, good luck and let's hope this surfaces some day.

Luke
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard of this before, what a strange game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNyMyfptN14

Kind of reminiscent of The Incredible Machine, which would have also been nice on the Genesis.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a long video.

Also, I miss the incredible machine.

Last, I have nothing useful to add, but loving the Incredible Machine, I bet this would've been a blast to play. Thanks for sharing the find with us.
discworld

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange name and a strange game. amazing! Wink

//edit funky music, dancing on the table!
spikedog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So thanks for the kind words and thanks to everyone that has contacted me. I have decided the only fair way to sell this game is to put it on eBay as I originally thought, so I have put up an auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=280374345642

For those of you that are just interested in the game I have taken some better pictures:

and I have a short gameplay video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeCvBe2xd8A

Before I sell it if anyone would like me to take other videos just let me know.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to commend you on actually learning how to play the game before taking a video. Even if this game ends up buried away forever somewhere, we'll always have a great record of what the Mega Drive version was like, so thank you!
spikedog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TheRedEye.

It's actually a pretty fun game. I played it for a while before taking the video and I think I am going to do more of a play through before it gets sold so I can put up some more videos of it.

I will try to run it through my PC next time though so I can get better video quality.
gilera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was this guy selling the exact same cart? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260442672944
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really neat, in spite of the awful (however descriptive) title. Thanks for sharing!
spikedog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilera wrote:
Who was this guy selling the exact same cart? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260442672944

As I wrote in my original post:

spikedog wrote:
It was originally on eBay under my fathers account hence the pictures with the eBay watermark however I plan to take some better ones along with some videos if people would like. (It has since been taken off eBay btw)

He didn't really know what it was so I told him to take it down and I would find out more information before selling it.
gilera

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikedog wrote:
gilera wrote:

As I wrote in my original post:

spikedog wrote:

He didn't really know what it was so I told him to take it down and I would find out more information before selling it.

So he found it at a car boot sale then?
spikedog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

I put in the auction that it was me simply because it was easier than saying "My dad found, then auctioned, then I stopped auction and now I am selling..."
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last we'll see this one. =\
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome game. Reminds me a bit of Moai Kun, for Famicom, which you should all go play right now if you haven't.

Hope we see this released someday! I'd love to play it, which I don't say a lot about unreleased games.

-Rob
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold for 910 GBP. About $1547.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Sold for 910 GBP. About $1547.

Neat. Unreleased Genesis games are officially expensive. I don't think that was true even three years ago.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we've got this game on Amiga. I wouldn't mourn the loss of this one over something that really is unreleased on any system.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscat-socks wrote:
At least we've got this game on Amiga. I wouldn't mourn the loss of this one over something that really is unreleased on any system.

True. However, seeing as the levels are completely different, it's still a bummer we might never see this, especially considering it is probably a finished game. I just hope whoever bought it preserves it. Anyone know how reliable early 90s era flash technology is?

-Rob
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Anyone know how reliable early 90s era flash technology is?

At least the one for this game doesn't appear to just be some old computer RAM powered by a few AA batteries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: