Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Boo! (various systems)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Boo! (various systems) Reply with quote

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0936

This one has been on the backburner for a long time (I have an email from producer Stuart Whyte dating back to 2004), but I re-found this in my archives and decided to put up an article. The game was apparently 80% done, but was canned when Micropose ran into money problems.

There is another Micropose title that was unreleased called Tinhead, which I will do an article for at some point. There is a ROM of that one, so it should be interesting.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that sure does look like a 16-bit platform game! Too bad there are no environment shots, those are the most interesting parts.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amiga article has gameplay shots, but the pictures of that on Stuart Whyte's website were done with a camera with a flash, so I didn't even bother trying to salvage them. I imagine that the gameplay shots were from the snes version, and not the Amiga version, as it clearly states in the business plan that the snes version was being developed first.
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it would've been better than nothing. :(
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

That's kind of a weird response!
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, the main character looks like something you'd find in a comic strip. I just love those sketches in the animations.

Could have been an interesting game. Thanks for the article!
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

Actually, I looked on Underground Gamer and found they have scans for the entire "The One" Amiga magazine. I am downloading that particular issue right now, and I will add the pages to the website once I am done.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
KingMike wrote:

That's kind of a weird response!

I just realized you were talking about in-game shots, and not the game itself, so ignore me.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Boo! (various systems) Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
There is another Micropose title that was unreleased called Tinhead, which I will do an article for at some point. There is a ROM of that one, so it should be interesting.

You're talking about the Super NES version of Tinhead, right? The Genesis one was released, though it was delayed by almost a year and squeaked out at $19.99 in the Genesis' dying days.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Boo! (various systems) Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
You're talking about the Super NES version of Tinhead, right? The Genesis one was released, though it was delayed by almost a year and squeaked out at $19.99 in the Genesis' dying days.

The Genesis version got at least two releases - Ballistic (Accolade) in 1993 and Spectrum Holobyte in 1994. I don't remember if Majesco re-released it later on.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Boo! (various systems) Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Kid Fenris wrote:

The Genesis version got at least two releases - Ballistic (Accolade) in 1993 and Spectrum Holobyte in 1994. I don't remember if Majesco re-released it later on.

Really? Because I remember reading in magazines about how Tinhead was delayed and how no one saw it on shelves until Ballistic released it in 1995. Also, magazines didn't review Tinhead in the U.S. until 1994, which would've been odd if it was a 1993 release.
GDRI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Really? Because I remember reading in magazines about how Tinhead was delayed and how no one saw it on shelves until Ballistic released it in 1995. Also, magazines didn't review Tinhead in the U.S. until 1994, which would've been odd if it was a 1993 release.

Ballistic
Spectrum Holobyte

I'm a little dubious of the 1993 date on the Ballistic release. I see a 1993 Sega copyright on the back of the box, but that's referring to the VRC rating system. I don't have the instructions handy to see if there's a copyright date on those. My copy is an original Ballistic release, though (not one of those Majesco re-releases with the Ballistic sticker on the back of the box).
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Boo! (various systems) Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
GDRI wrote:
Kid Fenris wrote:

Equinox for SNES. The box has a 1992 copyright, while NP reviewed it in January 1993, and I think GamePro reviewed it in May. I have a PDF from an old version of NoA's site that listed all licensed NA SNES games and said it came out March 1994 (though I thought it was closer to summer). But I believe EGM reviewed it in April 1994, which would fit with NoA's date.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was word of Equinox from when the SNES was first released. It was delayed a lot.

Anyways, Tinhead was unreleased on the SNES. The ROM actually comes from the same website I got the Boo! stuff off of. However, the producer may have got that from the internet as well.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Buddha get Tinhead from Holy Joe What's His Name eons ago?
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:

About the only thing I know got released by Holy Joe is that early alpha of a game "Rap Basketball".

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0137
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:

I don't know, but for the record it's not in the box of Holy Joe's floppy discs that I have.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:

I'm a little dubious of the 1993 date on the Ballistic release. I see a 1993 Sega copyright on the back of the box, but that's referring to the VRC rating system. I don't have the instructions handy to see if there's a copyright date on those. My copy is an original Ballistic release, though (not one of those Majesco re-releases with the Ballistic sticker on the back of the box).

Yeah, I think the 1993 release date is a mistake. The Spectrum Holobyte release also seems to be much rarer than the Ballistic one. A quick check of eBay shows one actual Spectrum cartridge and a pile of Ballistic releases, with a few auctions using the Spectrum box as a stock image.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Yeah, I think the 1993 release date is a mistake. The Spectrum Holobyte release also seems to be much rarer than the Ballistic one. A quick check of eBay shows one actual Spectrum cartridge and a pile of Ballistic releases, with a few auctions using the Spectrum box as a stock image.

The ROMs, at least the ones that are out there, have "1994.APR" in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: