Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:04 am

Super Pitfall II (NES) carts for sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Super Pitfall II (NES) carts for sale Reply with quote

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=24198

The dude selling them says he didn't alter the code, so that's a big thumbs up from me. You should buy ten copies.
Drakee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jesus, Activision seriously WERE going to release this. Wasn't this the game that Sunsoft touted as being better than Super Mario Bros.?
Asaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know what to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Yi3jEbShs

I kind of have a hunch why this never got released.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Atlantis no Nazo's actually somewhat enjoyable once you fix the atrocious play control.

Better than Super Mario Bros., though? Not by a longshot.
cheerio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that the Japanese game has no Japanese and the text is minimal, a localization would be super easy even to ancient Egyptian. Game sucks tho'.
skyrunner14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I thought there was only one prototype ever known about... and I thought it was in someone's closet somewhere, never to be seen or heard of again. Any chance of seeing this dumped at some point? Because I'd love to compare this and the Japanese version.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I sort of forgot I had this. I gave it a writeup here.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice writeup sard. this is the kind of 'no bullshit lest all bullshit' game i always enjoyed in my days. i wish they would have given us this one.
coinheaven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a sweet write up! i have been meaning to release the rom. ill post this up on my site when i get a chance.

Sardius wrote:
Oh yeah, I sort of forgot I had this. I gave it a writeup here.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup Sardius. Sounds like it would have been just another obscure and weird NES game if it were released.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been another one of the Star Forces, Starship Hectors, and Arkista's Rings -- developed (and/or released) in Japan years before their US releases. I have a feeling people would have totally ignored the game had it been released at the same time as Strider, Mega Man 2, and Batman.

Somewhat related, here's an interview with Sunsoft's programmer back in Sun's early (Atlantis, Ikki) days. (Excite's translation software seems to translate "Atlantis no Nazo" into "The Amazing Captain Nemo" for some reason): http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/sp_Sunsoft-Interview.html
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly if this had been released back in the day, I think it would've been hated. While the games not that bad and even kind of fun in a quirky way, its learning curve is pretty steep. I imagine the game would've been rented by a lot of people, who promptly would have no clue what to do. The game's secrets probably wouldn't be unearthed until many years later, as I doubt Nintendo Power would've given this any significant coverage.

I also have a feeling that Pitfall fans would not have taken too kindly to this game bearing the name. Though it probably would've been better received than the original.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen. Allow me to return with a ridiculous crackpot theory.

So earlier today on IRC a conversation pops up wherein I mentioned the legendary Yeah Yeah Beebiss I, and expressed my sincerest regrets that I will likely go to the grave without ever knowing what the hell it could have possibly been. Anyway, Sprout (aka [-_-] once upon a time, who may or may not be familiar to folks here) got on the case and came across something curious...

Quote:

<@Sprout> I looked up the Romaji for what I would assume would sound like “Bi Be Su” (?? ?), and plopped it into Google translate. It was translated as “The Bibe”. I decided to look up what “Bibe” meant, but Dictionary.com thought I meant “Beebe”, and behold.
<@Sprout> Beebe was the surname of an American explorer and naturalist, and I decided to piece things together. The I probably was taken from the Roman Numeral II as a typo, and the fact Beebe was an explorer, maybe YYBI turned out to be Super Pitfall 2!?

....son of a bitch, could he actually be right!? I know it makes no sense given that nothing like that appears in the original Japanese title and, as far as I knew, the US version was always intended to be SP2... but goddammit, it makes as much sense as any possible explanation for Beebiss that I ever managed to come up with.

In the meantime, what's been up? I've spent the past month or so getting my monkey ass wooped by a 4-year-old on TMNT: Tournament Fighters via a Dreamcast Genesis emulator. Life is humbling. By the way, any of you bastards interested in talking music/movies/politics/whatever shit? I'm modding at a forum fitting such description where it'd be cool to see any of you guys SPAM (thefreewheeler.proboards.com) SPAM. Sorry. Beebiss forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: