Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

SNES CD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: SNES CD Reply with quote

There has been a lot of crap flinged about the past few days over the supposed "SNES CD" controller that is on Ebay right now (which I assume is actually an early Playstation controller made after the fallout from Nintendo). I made a thread on my forums about the SNES CD:

http://www.snescentral.com/forum/index.php?topic=154.0

Though I was wondering if anyone else had some input? Personally, I think it is a good idea to compile all the information in one place (ie as an article on SNES Central), and we can end all this speculative nonsense. As it stands, the N-Sider article is actually really well done, but it doesn't hurt to expand things further!
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CPUWIZ" at AtariAge had a picture of the SNES CD manual in this thread, IIRC, but he has since taken it and other pictures down. I assume he worked/works in the industry.

Those same controllers turn up in this post. According to "CPUWIZ," what you see there is the very first PlayStation dev kit.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am still confused over whether the last model went under the SNES (a la the Satellaview) or over the cart slot.

On the note of the Satellaview, I'm curious as to whether that was in any way thought up as a "solution" to the whole SNESCD issue by Nintendo, or was not directly related. Considering the date listed for the "Nintendo stock transaction" on St.GIGA's official historic timeline, I'm leaning towards Nintendo having thought of it in the midst of all the SNESCD scandal. However I don't have anything more concrete than that.

Either way, good luck compiling this all. I hope at some point that someone can leak around some footage of a game running on something or another.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding. I mean, there is anecdotal accounts of the SNES CD running programs, but even in magazines from the era, there was no footage displayed. Apparently Hook for the Sega CD was originally supposed to be a SNES CD game, maybe that would be a good place to start looking for information.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Apparently Hook for the Sega CD was originally supposed to be a SNES CD game, maybe that would be a good place to start looking for information.

But isn't Hook for the Sega CD just the Genesis version with better music and cut scenes? Both are just conversions of the Super NES version.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's to say that the SNES CD version wouldn't have been a port either? One of the usenet threads I posted this evening basically states that Sony released 5 games at the launch of the Sega CD, and I'll bet you that these were going to be on the SNES CD.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Who's to say that the SNES CD version wouldn't have been a port either? One of the usenet threads I posted this evening basically states that Sony released 5 games at the launch of the Sega CD, and I'll bet you that these were going to be on the SNES CD.

Two of those games are by Core Design (Hook and Chuck Rock). Maybe someone who worked there knows something about the SNES CD.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to vaguely remember the Prince of Persia-clone Nosferatu for SNES being one of those games that existed for half-a-forever and was rumored to be a SNES CD title.

It was developed by the now defunct SETA.

A notable thing about the cartridge version of the game that evt. got released is the use of rather pretty and smooth FMV-ish cinematic cutscenes. Some of the music (such as the intro tune) in it kinda sounds like it was initially written for pre-recorded streaming in mind too (or at least meant to utilize a richer soundfont)

Though, seeing as it was probably developed in Japan, I guess tracking down people (and establishing communication) might be a bit more tricky than with someone from a western studio who might've had some hands on action with SNES CD stuff.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Nosferatu got a good preview in the September 1991 issue of Nintendo Power (wasn't it released in 1995?) and is definitely among the most delayed games for the SNES (beating out Sony's Equinox). It would be fun to look into that. If it was planned for the SNES CD, maybe that explains the delay.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was released in 1995. The first I saw it was in the official SNES Player's Guide under the "future releases" section.
I think all games in the section thus ended up released eventually.
"Future" games:
D-Force, Nosferatu, Rocketeer, Smart Ball, Super Adventure Island,
Super Contra IV (Contra III), Super E.D.F., Spanky's Quest, Lemmings, Ultima: The False Prophet, Bulls vs Lakers & the NBA Playoffs, F1-ROC, NCAA Final Four (NCAA Basketball), PGA Tour Golf, Super Play Action Football, Super Soccer Champ
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Yeah, Nosferatu got a good preview in the September 1991 issue of Nintendo Power (wasn't it released in 1995?) and is definitely among the most delayed games for the SNES (beating out Sony's Equinox). It would be fun to look into that. If it was planned for the SNES CD, maybe that explains the delay.

All the more reason for certain people *ahem* to get in touch with Seta USA's Tom Shizuma.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Evan wrote:

All the more reason for certain people *ahem* to get in touch with Seta USA's Tom Shizuma.

Don't forget to ask about Bio Force Ape when you do.

Now I wish I'd mentioned Nosferatu and the Super NES CD when I talked to one of Seta's former marketing directors.

She laughed when I asked if she'd worked for Seta.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Don't forget to ask about Bio Force Ape when you do.

Not me. I don't know how to contact him. I'm talking about a certain proprietor of a certain site about unreleased games. He knows who he is.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a post on my forum with a bunch of links to news stories I found on Google News. From this, I can confirm the following things:

- The SNES CD effectively came to an end at the Shinshokai in August 1993, when Nintendo announced Project Reality. Speculation at the time was that Project Reality would use CD media, but of course we all know how that worked out.

- After the Winter CES in 1993, Nintendo was generally dismissive of the CD format.

- Sony and Nintendo announced a partnership in October 1992. Sony would release their own system that could run Super Famicom software and would be called the Play Station. All SNES CD games would be compatible with Philips' CD-i, but not vice-versa.

- At the Summer 1992 CES, Nintendo announces that the SNES CD would be 32 bit. They also announce that they were working with Philips to make the system, though this was apparently done with hesitation. It sounds as though this announcement was made to counter Sony's announcement of their own stand alone system that would be compatible with the Super Famicom (Sony had the right to do this from their earlier agreement), plus the announcement that Sony was working with Sega to produce games for the Sega CD.

- Nintendo's partnership with Philips actually really began in mid 1991, where they made an agreement to release Nintendo properties on the CD-i. This was also the time period when Sony announced they would make their own stand-alone system that could play Super Famicom systems. It really sounds as though the Summer CES shows in 1991 and 1992 were basically the same. Very confusing, but this is how it went.

- Nintendo and Sony's partnership on making a CD based system was announced at the Winter CES in 1991. We all know how well that went. They displayed a mock up system (as shown in the Edge article).

- Prior to 1991, there was speculation that Nintendo would bring out a CD system, but no concrete news stories existed.
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could write a letter to Mr. Shizuma, if what I'm seeing online is actually his address.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really that impatient go for it, but said unreleased games webmaster used to live in and has family at his current location and is hoping to coordinate something a little more in-person.
Evan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly is no hurry. As of now, I have 30 pages of magazine scans in my SNES CD archive, and I feel like I haven't come close to compiling everything.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have collected a massive amount of crap picture wise, not so much info wise. Here's a page of mine, I removed the watermarks from the ones found all over the internet. I got sick to death of looking at those fucking things.

http://www.x-cult.org/newegg/cat/4/Super%20Nintendo%20Entertainment%20System/78/SNES_CD/

Also, the images posted @ atariage I snagged before they were taken down. Using photoshop I managed to bring out a lot of the page behind the first page. Not too much can be made out though =\

http://www.x-cult.org/newegg/cat/4/Super%20Nintendo%20Entertainment%20System/150/SNES_CD_Tech_Docs/
Evan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool stuff Pachuka. I've discussed those pictures with Dangerboy and if he finds the copies of the pictures without watermarks, he is going to post them (they were lost in a hard drive crash). Though of course, you did a good job getting rid of the watermarks as it is.
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
If you're really that impatient go for it, but said unreleased games webmaster used to live in and has family at his current location and is hoping to coordinate something a little more in-person.

I guess I'll wait then, but I did want to ask him if he knew anything about Seta's contractors. Maybe one of them did Bio Force Ape...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: