Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

Yuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Yuck Reply with quote

This is terrible.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I whish I could be sitting in on board meetings when things like this are decided. I mean, sure the Penny Arcade is great, but don't try and copy their visual style and do a shit job of it.

An ad that caught my eye for wondering how if actually got made is the newer "Extra" gum ad, with the skydiving piece of gum. I mean it's like they (the board members) were sitting around and thinking "Hmm... we need an extreme sport... Skydiving is extreme and you know... I've heard that a scottish accent is really hot right now... the kids love it" The only problem being that they are 5-10 years to late for it to be "hip" in any way.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I saw that on Amazon the other day when checking the release date for someone and was hoping maybe that was just preliminary art.

I sure hope Capcom USA hires back their original artist from the '87-'88 era for that new Mega Man compilation that's coming out.
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original artists? The old Megaman cover art was generic and..frankly...as I was an 8-year old at the time...kinda lame. Nothing about the old Mega Man cover art made me actually want to play the games. Truly, I don't think Mega Man cover art got decent until "Mega Man 3"....and from there, it was all up hill.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-zero wrote:
The original artists? The old Megaman cover art was generic and..frankly...as I was an 8-year old at the time...kinda lame. Nothing about the old Mega Man cover art made me actually want to play the games. Truly, I don't think Mega Man cover art got decent until "Mega Man 3"....and from there, it was all up hill.

Let me help you.
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Had me scared for a minute there, Red-eye.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, that was some of the most hideous box-art in creation. I've seen Tengen games with better box art than that! Tengen,I tell you!!!!!!!
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new RCR art may not be amazing, but it does fit the game much better than the deadly serious Nes art.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
The new RCR art may not be amazing, but it does fit the game much better than the deadly serious Nes art.

Maybe so, but that was much more pleasing on the eyes. That artwork is horrible. Why Atlus couldn't use official Kunio artwork is beyond me.
Sushi D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a part of me just died.
nateJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the original Japanese artwork, but something done in that style would have been much nicer than this crap. Even doing that picture in the original style would have been good.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/nes.html
(Scroll down the page, click "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari")

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than their eyes, I really dig the artwork. It reminds me a lot of the old cover art...

Edit:
I thought the game was coming out in a few months? There's still time for them to change the artwork, right?
Jred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me of the first time i saw the artwork for Hammerin Harry label (nes one, arcade artwork was dead on). same feeling of it just not being what i expected at all.

oh and hello. i'm new here.

Last edited by Jred on Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixon wrote:
...I mean, sure the Penny Arcade is GRATE, but don't try and copy their visual style and do a shit job of it...

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the cover art. Yeah, it is disappointing. Real Kunio art would have been awesomely awesome.

It could be worse though, some American cover art has been positively HORRIFIC.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
I thought the game was coming out in a few months? There's still time for them to change the artwork, right?

Sadly, no. I've been told that it's the "final" cover art for the US version.

Anyway, if there weren't gonna use the original Japanese cover artwork, they could've at least emulate the original art abit better. Apparently, it was done by the same cover artist that did the Double Dragon Advance (they didn't use the original artist's illustration for that game's cover, but rather they emulated the original artwork and had it colored), which I still find hard to believe. I don't see how can anyone go from an excellent cover like Double Dragon Advance, to a crap one like River City Ransom EX.

I even got into a flame war because of this cover art. Damn you Atlus and your poor choice of cover art! :p

Hopefully, I have faith in Atlus that the rest of the localization will be better (even with the rather questionable choice of mixing the Japanese school uniforms with the anglicized names and plot, they didn't had much choice).
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cover screams Clerks: The Animated Beat 'em Up to me. Just without the characters from Clerks.
Exploding-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apocolypse is near...
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so strange that they didn't just get some official Japanese artwork like most of the companies do nowadays, specially since they kept the Japanese atmosphere of the original all over the game.

Now most of the people who don't know the game already won't even dare to grab the box and check the screenshots in the back, after seeing the not-too-professional-looking artwork... Although it looks like they already knew this, since they put that "FROM THE MAKERS OF DOUBLE DRAGON" thing. =\
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: